Noah and the Whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
I really like Noah and the Whale, their debut and the First Days of Spring were great albums, however, I've noticed their latest song, Life Goes On, as much as I like it sounds a bit like Lola by the Kinks, am I going mad or does it sound like it? :D

Life Goes On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9t_uUgEfw

Lola
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixqbc7X2NQY

I hope nobody's posted this before and on looking at YouTubes comments some others have noticed this too. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too. Lets say inspired by, as its wonderfully catchy. Best pop song of the year so far?

For me anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Clearly 'inspired by', my mum heared it and said Lou Reed as well :D

Nice song though.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    I thought that too. Lets say inspired by, as its wonderfully catchy. Best pop song of the year so far?

For me anyway.

Yup. Although I thought it spelled liposuction the first time I heard it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone really needs to do a parody version along those lines.

Wierd Al, Where art thou!
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a bit sick of hearing it now but it's a good tune.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killers / Brandon Flowers - Kinks fans as well.Lou Reed a small bit perhaps.Think I'll throw this one at you as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9J7XE-ctMU
    Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E.
    Sort of ties in with the West London Scene 'new folk' which seems to have alot of country influences as well.Why are they singing in semi-American accents.Why do they accent their 'rrrr's' - they are from Twickenham.
    Bit ploddy as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killers / Brandon Flowers - Kinks fans as well.Lou Reed a small bit perhaps.Think I'll throw this one at you as well
    Sort of ties in with the West London Scene 'new folk' which seems to have alot of country influences as well.Why are they singing in semi-American accents.Why do they accent their 'rrrr's' - they are from Twickenham.

Because the are very deliberately referencing other songs/acts/genres.

Part of that is the accents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    Because the are very deliberately referencing other songs/acts/genres.

Part of that is the accents.

Why! Sounds a bit naff to me if they are doing that on purpose.Is that what they are - a Parody act.
    Do people realise that they are a parody act ? - if that's what they're totally about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's wrong with pronouncing the letter R?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why! Sounds a bit naff to me if they are doing that on purpose.Is that what they are - a Parody act.
    Do people realise that they are a parody act ? - if that's what they're totally about.

Parody act is probably a bit strong. The aforementioned Wierd Al is a parody act.

I just think on this song in particular they are perhaps just letting go, having a bit of fun and making a deliberately radio friendly happy song, that isn't ment to be taken too seriously, which I would suggest you possibly are.

;)

Its a song thats there to cheer you up when you are doing the dishes and it comes on the radio, or to listen to on a sunny day in the park, not to put too much thought into.

:)
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First couple of times I heard it on the wireless i thought it was Tom Petty.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I'm addicted to this song at the moment. I know it was planned to be a ''happy song'' anyway, but it does feel good when I listen to it.:):):)
  • MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New album is utterly brilliant.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for the album on Monday!

Love this track, so good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    What's wrong with pronouncing the letter R?

Because it's an Americanism.I'm a bit fed up with Americanism's in music (I bet there are alot of American's fed up with people copying their accent even).Why can't these musicians do their own thing.Whether copying dodgy American cultural developements or not.Do you think they are rolling their 'rrrrr' s in this tune to sound Irish or Scottish - don't think so.Whether this is done as a bit of fun or not.Telling the same old joke gets tiresome after a while, even though when you heard the joke initially it was very funny - perhaps that's going slightly off topic though.My main point about this tune is that it is full of cliches, which comes over as slightly naff to me.