Compensation Lawyers

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
6 months ago while walking through a hotel car park I tripped over a disabled parking bollard that was in the off position, so lying in the parking bay. It was a similar colour to the tiles in the parking space and not clearly marked. I had changed my course through the car park to avoid a car which as it turns out had stopped because it had ripped its front tyre on another parking bollard which was also lying in against the floor and also not clearly marked. Although I did complete the hotel accident book (as did the irate car owner) I didn't take things further then because although my knee was very swollen and painful I hoped that given a week or so it would get back to normal. To cut a long story short I had ripped my cartilage and after 5 months of pain I was able to have key hole surgery to correct the problem. After some physio my knee is now back to normal thankfully.

10 days after the accident i sent a letter to the hotel change alerting them to what I felt was a health and safety issue, enclosing some photos i had taken at the time of the of the bollard and my knee (taken a week later on the advice of friends). No reply after a month so I sent a further letter by recorded delivery. Still no reply.

I am pretty against the compensation culture we seem to have developed in this country. I still receive calls from compensation companies 4 years after a minor prang when a car hit the back of my car urging me to claim for whiplash but I did not have whiplash and would not dream of claiming for it. However, I feel by not replying to my letters this hotel chain has shown a total disregard for health and safety and my situation is genuine, I suffered a lot of pain and discomfort which affected my life and ended up having to have surgery. I am pretty angry with their total blanking of my letters, it's just plain rude and frankly arrogant.

So my question. Have I left it too late to make a claim and if I want to take it further (still undecided) can anyone recommend a reputable company for me to use in the south of England?

Sorry long post I know but any help or advice would be greatfully received :).

Comments

• nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you can afford your own solicitor the process is just slow, as its likely whoever your insurer appoints vs the other party

To add some perspective I know of someone that was knocked down at a pedestrian crossing by van driver playing with a phone (plenty of evidence/witnesses to support) who wasted a year of the proceedings by trying to blame the person they knocked down

Also consider the victim was already post-op and on crutches (hips) so as you can imagine... frankly they are lucky to have survived period but the event has ruined their life and stripped them of almost all independance.

Went off a bit :) This is why i can't stand idiots that use iphones or anything at the wheel

6 months isn't that long, the person handling your problem likely has a big caseload

Hope your doing ok, knees are a awful part of the body to damage
    I'm not a fan of the compensation culture either... but if the other party is clearly in the wrong, especially with the example I provided, stuff like carers and wheelchair proofing your home doesn't grow on trees