Options

So, what have Celebrities ever done for us?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
Forum Member
I am discriminating here between talented, professional entertainers and Celebrities. :cool:

What I think celebrities have done for us:

Made magazines/newspapers boring.
V often, made digital Spy boring.
Provided $*%£ role models for our children.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done NOTHING for me, but I do enjoy seeing them generally behaving badly, and falling spectacularly as the higher you are, the further you have to fall! People like Jordan and Kerry are car-crash TV at it's best, so even though you may hate them, you cant help flicking through the gossip magazines, being curious over their latest happenings, and gloating when things are going pear-shaped! :D
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave you something to post about.:)
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They give ALL of us in here something to post about. We should probably find better things to do, but there we are! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Good point! BUT, in the scheme of things ~ what has any post ....
    The idea was: how we value 'celebrity' whatever that means
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    maybe not me in particular but there will be people that have been helped through a celebrity's charity donation which they probably wouldn't have been able to make if they'd not been famous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made the OCD manic fans totally broke via a plethora of merchandise that is below par quality and over priced for a start.

Entertainment value in say music or movies is far outweighed by the obscene salaries for a few months work.

Turned a lot of gullible people into Cult Worshippers who spend 18hours of their days living sleeping eating dreaming fantasising and blogging on forums obsequiously whilst chasing photos across internet.

What have they done for people..turned them into blind sided morons of "fan clubs".
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given me a good laugh, Jordan is one great example, has me in stitches all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Rhona McKenzie was my welfare right officer (OK you haven't heard of her yet but give it a couple of years).
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schadenfreude?
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all celebs are useless/talentless (and those that are, I wouldn't term celebrities anyway, they're just zlebs)!

People harp on about the negative and seem to tar all famous people with the same brush, yet there are some talented celebs out there!

I've enjoyed a lot of films, listened to (and enjoyed) a lot of music, seen some great stage shows and met some great people along the way.

Even some of the zlebs can provide entertainment, even if it's just of the unintentionally funny or embarrassingly awful variety!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are the modern equivalent of the Court Jester. They play the fool so that we may laugh :D
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebs with car crash life styles make me feel better about my own life:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    Well Rhona McKenzie was my welfare right officer (OK you haven't heard of her yet but give it a couple of years).

Just watched a clip of hers, she's pretty funny.

Good trick with the t shirt.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the likes of Tweed, Price and Katona have given us something to laugh at......
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Well the likes of Tweed, Price and Katona have given us something to laugh at......
    ...........and hundreds of threads prove this on this very forum:D
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    There'd be very few newspapers if it wasn't for them.I don't understand how so many people want to know EVERY detail about them though.The only real celeb news and gossip I see is on here generally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh I could never buy all the magazines and newspapers - which is why the internet and digispy is great and FREE! So I get the pleasure to read and laugh all for nothing.

Which is nice.
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    babinaba wrote: »
    maybe not me in particular but there will be people that have been helped through a celebrity's charity donation which they probably wouldn't have been able to make if they'd not been famous

I do not buy into the "charideee" routine, usually it is only done for altruistic motives.

The higher level celebs do lend themselves to charitable causes and usually I would say they do much more good than a zelebrity.
    Usually the z lister will do anything to appear in the media and if that is notorius or bad press they usually do not care. But this can rub off on the charity they are supposedly helping so you suddenly realise that the charity work is only done to make themselves look credible or to raise their own profile
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Not all celebs are useless/talentless (and those that are, I wouldn't term celebrities anyway, they're just zlebs)!

People harp on about the negative and seem to tar all famous people with the same brush, yet there are some talented celebs out there!

I've enjoyed a lot of films, listened to (and enjoyed) a lot of music, seen some great stage shows and met some great people along the way.

Even some of the zlebs can provide entertainment, even if it's just of the unintentionally funny or embarrassingly awful variety!

they do a lot for charity michael jackson is giving 20% of his estate to charity, he sent his people out to find a kindey for a child in a hospital in hungry in the 90s, he helped with costs for a burns victim dave dave whos own father poured gasoline on his six year old son and set him alight, he also went to hundreds of orphanges and hospitals and gave to over 50 charities regularly, he also changed the world of music by breaking racial barriers with organistions like mtv, he impacted a lot of peoples lives and how many celebs do that these days.

celebs do a lot for people they do a lot for charity, i wouldnt class anyone from x factor, BGT, big brother etc as celebs they are a waste of this industries resources.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Z listers do nothing but pee you off with their greed and ridiculous publicity-seeking antics, but still they can be somewhat interesting.

Real stars with real talent are something else. They provide entertainment, be it via film or music. It's light relief and I think light relief is important, it can take you away from the stresses and strains of daily life.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely nothing - and we're talking about the talentless, greedy Z-listers here, who aren't even genuine 'celebrities' anyway.

A few years ago it may have been vaguely amusing to read about them, but now I just find hearing about the latest antics of Jordan, Katona, etc. utterly sickening. They've sunk even further into the gutter.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I do not buy into the "charideee" routine, usually it is only done for altruistic motives.

The higher level celebs do lend themselves to charitable causes and usually I would say they do much more good than a zelebrity.
    Usually the z lister will do anything to appear in the media and if that is notorius or bad press they usually do not care. But this can rub off on the charity they are supposedly helping so you suddenly realise that the charity work is only done to make themselves look credible or to raise their own profile

Oh yeah, I get where you're coming from, and I was meaning proper celebs, people like Jennifer Aniston who doesn't really need to promote herself or get in the media often donates to charity and often does it without letting on to the media that she's done it. Will Smith as well. But I do know what you mean that if a zeleb wanted to get more media time then doing charity work is one way to achieve that for selfish reasons and not because they actually care about the charity's cause.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eavesdropping on celebrities is the "twitching of curtains" for the 21st century, people love vacuous gossip...ohh katie price has a new bf/book/hairstyle/child, personally I go out my way to avoid tv shows/online threads/newspapers/magazines that feature such people mainly because I find them incredibly irritating.

looking at the number of page views a katie price thread gets here just shows certain people want to keep up to date with the slightest piece of gossip and I do respect their choices.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I've had some of my best laughs at what idiots celebs make of themselves.

Jordan/Kerry and the usual misfits have made my day doing their "X rushed to hospital" with their latest boil on their backside or whatever.

I don't bother buying magazines with their mugs in though, I just read it on here.

If you need a laugh you can depend on them to have done something idiotic and will do something that will surpass it within the next 24 hours guaranteed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qbizm wrote: »
    Just watched a clip of hers, she's pretty funny.

Good trick with the t shirt.;)

She is presently in both the UK funny women finals and Scottish Comedian of the year.