Options

Upcoming TV 2011 (Jan-May)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
Forum Member
With the first half of the 2010-2011 TV Season now coming to a close, thought we could list the upcoming shows for the latter half of the TV season. Still to come are the so-called “Mid Season Replacements” on the major US TV networks; a barrage of premieres and returns on US Cable TV, as well as new and returning shows to British telly.

What are you looking forward to in the second half of the TV season (January – May 2011).

The list below includes some that have caught my attention and I will be chcking out. Feel free to add to and expand the list with your programme titles.

The list includes Network / Channels on which the series will premiere as well as the Pace they are meant in. For US TV Shows premiere dates refer to US Dates and for Euro dates just consider they are available overnight (so add one day to that specified).

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    January 2011

Saturday 1st January
    Primeval – Series 4 (ITV1) / UK Pace

Sunday 2nd January
    Zen – Series 1 (BBC One) / UK Pace
    Rufus Sewell and Caterina Murino star in three new films for BBC One, set in and around Rome, about fictional Italian detective Aurelio Zen, based on the best-selling novels by the late Michael Dibdin

Arctic With Bruce Parry (BBC TWO)
    Bruce Parry returns with a new five-part documentary series set in the spectacular wilderness of the Arctic, where he explores the dramatic changes its people are experiencing

Tuesday 4th January
    V - Season 2 (ABC) / US Pace
    The Cape (NBC) – two hour premiere / US Pace

Episodes (Showtime) / US Pace
    *UK Pace premiere on BBC Two January 10th
    Matt LeBlanc, Stephen Mangan, Tamsin Greig and Richard Griffiths star in a new comedy for BBC Two following the lives of a British couple who are wooed to LA to remake their successful TV show for an American audience – with disastrous results

Southland – Season 3 / US Pace

Thursday 6th January 2011
    The Sinking of the Laconia (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    A two-part drama starring Andrew Buchan, Franka Potente, Ken Duken, Brian Cox and Lindsay Duncan, written by acclaimed writer Alan Bleasdale, tells the true story of the amazing heroism shown by ordinary people in the face of extraordinary adversity during the Second World War

Wednesday 12th January
    Republic of Doyle – Season 2 (CBC) / Canada Pace

Thursday 13th January
    Human Planet (BBC One) / UK Pace
    From oceans to jungles, from the poles to the deserts, this landmark new series, three years in the making, explores man's incredible ability to survive in the most extreme environments

Monday 17th January
    Being Human – Season 1 US adaptation (Syfy) / US Pace

Tuesday, January 18
    White Collar - Season 3(USA) / US Pace

Thursday, January 20
    Royal Pains – Season 3 (USA) / US Pace

Fairly Legal (USA) / US Pace

Friday 21st January
    Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (Starz!) / US Pace

February 2011

Monday 7th February
    The Chicago Code (FOX) / US Pace

March 2011

The Killing (AMC) / US Pace
    Set in Seattle, Washington, and filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, the series follows three stories centered around the homicide of a young girl, Rosie Larsen, and the ensuing police investigation. Based on the Danish miniseries Forbrydelsen (The Crime)

April 2011

Game of Thrones (HBO) US Pace
    The series, based on author George R. R. Martin's best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among noble families for control of the Iron Throne of Westeros.

Awaiting Premiere Dates

Being Human – Series 3 (BBC Three) / UK Pace

How TV Ruined Your Life (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    From love and money to fear and progress, Charlie Brooker explores a different universal theme each week as this six-part series attempts to explain where it all went wrong and just how wildly the TV and movie ideal differs from life's grim reality. Marking the point where the mad daydreams of TV and the sorry reality of real life collide, the series employs a mixture of archive footage, sketches and interviews that will have you wiping away tears of laughter while nodding in recognition, which means you’ll probably have your eye out if you’re not careful.

The Crimson Petal & The White (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    The Crimson Petal & The White is a four-part adaptation of Michel Faber's international best-selling novel on BBC Two.
    Adapted by acclaimed playwright and screenwriter Lucinda Coxon and directed by Marc Munden, this intimate psychological thriller lifts the lid on the darker side of Victorian London revealing a world seething with vitality, sexuality, ambition and emotion.
    This provocative and riveting tale tells the story of Sugar (Romola Garai), an alluring, intelligent young prostitute who yearns for a better life away from the brothel she is attached to – run by the contemptible Mrs Castaway (Gillian Anderson).

Exile (BBC One) / UK Pace
    Exile is a new drama series for BBC One. Created by Paul Abbott and written by Danny Brocklehurst, this three part drama is a psychological thriller that tells an intimate story of prodigal redemption.
    John Simm plays Tom Ronstadt, a successful London journalist whose world has fallen apart and it's all his own doing. With his career and life in ruins he decides to return to his hometown in Lancashire for the first time in 18 years. He finds his father Sam (Jim Broadbent), who Tom idolised as a child, in the grip of Alzheimer's – a once formidable man now being cared for by his younger sister Nancy (Olivia Coleman).
    Over the three episodes Tom unravels the mystery linked to his childhood that drove him away all those years ago. In trying to extract information and encouraging him to remember the past, Tom becomes increasingly frustrated with his father's failure to remember. He persists unaware that he is unearthing a devastating crime that will reveal secrets he could never have imagined.

The Hour (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    Romola Garai, Dominic West and Ben Whishaw star in The Hour, a thrilling six-part drama which takes viewers behind the scenes of the launch of a topical news programme in London 1956, written and created by Bafta award-winning Abi Morgan.
    With a highly competitive, sharp-witted and passionate love triangle at the heart of the series, it's through the lives of enigmatic Bel and her rivals, Freddie and Hector, that viewers will witness the decade on the threshold of change – from the ruthless sexual politics behind the polite social façade of the Fifties to the revelations that redefined the world for a new generation.
    Over the six episodes, the interplay and intense ambitions between our rising news team play out against the backdrop of a mysterious murder and Freddie's controversial and dangerous investigation.

Parade's End (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    BBC Two is bringing Ford Madox Ford's masterpiece, Parade's End, to the screen next year. It will be adapted by the highly acclaimed British playwright Sir Tom Stoppard and directed by Bafta-winning Susanna White.
    Set between the twilight of the Edwardian era and the end of the First World War, Parade's End's biggest pre-occupation is a love triangle between English aristocrat Christopher Tietjens, his beautiful but cruel wife Sylvia and Valentine Wannop, a young suffragette who he falls madly in love with.

Touch (BBC Three) / UK Pace
    From acclaimed theatre, film and TV writer Jack Thorne comes an edge-of-the-seat supernatural thriller, Touch.
    In Touch the vengeful dead walk on Earth and only uber-geek Paul can save the living from a fiery Armageddon.
    Paul is an ordinary young man from an ordinary town who discovers an extraordinary ability – he can see the dead. As he comes to terms with a nightmare reality he meets others who share his powers and share a horrifying secret – the spirits are waging war on the living. Mankind will be destroyed.
    But the most terrifying twist is yet to come – Paul discovers that only he holds the key to the world's salvation.

United (BBC Two) / UK Pace
    United is based on the true story of Manchester United's legendary "Busby Babes", the youngest side ever to win the Football League, the 1958 Munich Air Crash that claimed eight of the their number and the extraordinary spirit of a city that rebuilt the team in the wake of the disaster.

Outcasts (BBC One) / UK Pace
    A group of courageous pioneers face a unique opportunity: the chance to build a new and better future on another planet. Outcasts is an epic new eight-part drama series created by Ben Richards for BBC One.
    They are led by President Tate (Liam Cunningham) and his core team of Stella (Hermione Norris), Cass (Daniel Mays) and Fleur (Amy Manson) – they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell (Jamie Bamber) and Jack (Ashley Walters).
    They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

The Borgias (Showtime) / US Pace
    The series is based on the Spanish Borgia dynasty, and stars Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia and François Arnaud, David Oakes, Holliday Grainger and Aidan Alexander as Cesare, Juan, Lucrezia and Joffre Borgia respectively. Derek Jacobi will play Cardinal Orsini.

Camelot (Starz!) / US Pace
    The series, based on the Arthurian legend, will star Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green as Morgan, Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur , Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere, Peter Mooney as Kay and Clive Standen as Gawain.[1] The series is produced by Graham King, Morgan O'Sullivan and Michael Hirst

Doctor Who – Series 6 (BBC One) UK Pace

The Kennedy’s (History Channel) / US Pace
    The Kennedys is an upcoming eight-hour miniseries chronicling the lives of the famous Kennedy family and the tragedies they have suffered.

Teen Wolf (MTV) / US Pace
    MTV remake of the 80s cult classic movie.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Episodes is starting on Showtime on January 9, not January 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Episodes is starting on Showtime on January 9, not January 4.

Well spotted! Thanks for the correction! BBC Two will then air the series just a few hours after the US. No need to "acquire" there then lol :p
  • Options
    jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Well spotted! Thanks for the correction! BBC Two will then air the series just a few hours after the US. No need to "acquire" there then lol :p

I'm assuming the Beeb is available in Gibraltar :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayzee786 wrote: »
    I'm assuming the Beeb is available in Gibraltar :confused:

Yep :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep :D

Lol. Good list of shows roll on January :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol. Good list of shows roll on January :D

Thanks.

Being in Cardiff you will no doubt know or know of at least one Gibraltarian student. Cardiff is known to us as "Gibraltar on the UK Mainland" with a large number of Gibraltar students choosing to study at Cardiff :D Many even stay on to live there after Uni.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

Being in Cardiff you will no doubt know or know of at least one Gibraltarian student. Cardiff is known to us as "Gibraltar on the UK Mainland" with a large number of Gibraltar students choosing to study at Cardiff :D Many even stay on to live there after Uni.

TV Rename is a really fab piece of software to keep track of tv shows and to rename them ofcourse if you sometimes aqquire rather than watch on tele :)

http://www.tvrename.com/
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the first half of the 2010-2011 TV Season now coming to a close, thought we could list the upcoming shows for the latter half of the TV season. Still to come are the so-called “Mid Season Replacements” on the major US TV networks; a barrage of premieres and returns on US Cable TV, as well as new and returning shows to British telly.

What are you looking forward to in the second half of the TV season (January – May 2011).

The list below includes some that have caught my attention and I will be chcking out. Feel free to add to and expand the list with your programme titles.

The list includes Network / Channels on which the series will premiere as well as the Pace they are meant in. For US TV Shows premiere dates refer to US Dates and for Euro dates just consider they are available overnight (so add one day to that specified).

thats not much here good to watch in my view ,usall crap
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    thats not much here good to watch in my view ,usall crap

No, there is a lot there to look forward to -- to people who can actually write, spell, that sort of thing.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Great list and most useful.

I don't know if it is simply a product of there being roughtly equal numbers of British and American shows on the list, but as one who generally prefers American dramas, I'm favouring a lot of the British ones here which is a surprise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spaintv, I'm surprised at you missing this one :-).

January 17 NBC: Harry's Law
    The new legal series from David E. Kelley (Boston Legal, Ally McBeal, The Practice, Picket Fences etc.). Kathy "number one fan" Bates stars as a patent lawyer in an unconventional practice set in an old shoe store.

I don't know. I'm a big fan of some of his work, particularly the earlier stuff and Boston Legal had its moments but he's had too many misses as well and they are usually when he tries to do "kooky". I hope this is gritty. He did that very well on The Practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dsrichard wrote: »
    Spaintv, I'm surprised at you missing this one :-).

January 17 NBC: Harry's Law
    The new legal series from David E. Kelley (Boston Legal, Ally McBeal, The Practice, Picket Fences etc.). Kathy "number one fan" Bates stars as a patent lawyer in an unconventional practice set in an old shoe store.

I don't know. I'm a big fan of some of his work, particularly the earlier stuff and Boston Legal had its moments but he's had too many misses as well and they are usually when he tries to do "kooky". I hope this is gritty. He did that very well on The Practice.

Thanks for the addition :)

Had heard of it but although I am aware of Kelley's work I have never followed any of his shows, in the main cos most of his bigger hits were on air at a time that I couldn't devote much time to on-going series. I have however caught the odd episode of some of his work, and was particularly interested in Picket Fences, but at the time I was busy with studies and never went beyond watching a handful of odd episodes here and there.

Will give the pilot a try though - I normally try to watch the first episode of as many new shows as possible :o:D
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant thread Spaintv. A few shows that that I hadnt heard of that look good.
  • Options
    ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Rename is a really fab piece of software to keep track of tv shows and to rename them ofcourse if you sometimes aqquire rather than watch on tele :)

http://www.tvrename.com/

Looks like a good piece of software - thanks for the tip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Lights Out - starts on FX - Jan 11th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also Californication Season 4 starts Jan 9th.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game Of Thrones
    V
    Being Human
    Psych Season 4
    Monk Season 8

All UK pace
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Atlantic is starting in January, so expect these in the first half of 2011:

Big Love
    Boardwalk Empire
    Entourage
    Game of Thrones
    Luck
    Mad Men
    Mildred Pierce
    Treme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob's Burgers - FOX - Jan 9th
    Off The Map - ABC - Jan 12th
    Perfect Couples - NBC - Jan 20th
    Mixed Signals - FOX - Feb 8th
    Mr Sunshine - ABC - Feb 9th
    Body Of Proof - ABC - March 29th
    Breaking In - FOX - April 6th
    Happy Endings - ABC - April 13th
  • Options
    MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And still no airdate for Nurse Jackie Season 2 - come ON, BBC! :rolleyes: Although by the time it airs I'll probably have seen it all already - found a site where I can watch it online ;)
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camelot on Starz will start on April 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Camelot on Starz will start on April 1.

Yep, just read now that Starz! has today set the premiere date. Fantastic news!

For anyone who wants to read it:

"Starz Opens Court To 'Camelot' On April 1
    Fiennes, Campbell Bower,Green Star In Reimagining Of King Arthur's Tale
    Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 12/20/2010 12:54:58 PM
    No fooling, Starz has set a premiere date for its reimagining of the Camelot tale.
    The premium network will its new original series on April 1 at 10 p.m. (ET/PT). The 10-episodedrama, redefines the classic medieval tale of King Arthur with an ensemble cast, topped by Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur, and Eva Green in her television debut as the darkly powerful sorsceress Morgan. The series also features Tamsin Egerton (Guinevere), Claire Forlani (Igraine) and Peter Mooney (Kay).

Shot on-location in Ireland, Camelot is an Irish-Canadian co-production from Octagon and Take 5 Productions, and executive produced along with Ecosse Films and GK-tv. Starz and GK-tv are the U.S. and international distributors of the series, respectively, while Take 5 Productions holds Canadian rights.

The story starts in the wake of King Uther's sudden death, with chaos threatening to engulf Britain. When the sorcerer Merlin has visions of a dark future, he installs the young and impetuous Arthur, Uther's unknown son and heir, who has been raised as a commoner, on the throne. However, Arthur's ambitious half-sister Morgan fights him to the bitter end, summoning unnatural forces to claim the crown in a battle for control. "
    Source:
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/461353-Starz_Opens_Court_To_Camelot_On_April_1.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior starts feb 16th on cbs
    Chaos starts on cbs - april 1st.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Californication Season 4 starts Jan 9th.

In the US or UK?