Favourite place in London?

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Apart from my manor ( Blackheath/Greenwich), I've recently discovered Limehouse basin which is lovely with all the old, converted warehouses and cobbled street, the marina with the yachts and narrow boats and some cracking pubs. I like the walk along the river through Kemp Park (shame on you Thames Water) up to Wapping, stopping of at the pubs along the way, The Captain Kidd, Prespect of Whitby and The Ramsgate. All of which have great views down the river.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a wonderful exhibition of photographs of Spitalfields taken in 1912 at Sandys Row Synagogue that is on until February 2013. A lot of it looks very much today as it did then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/sep/17/spitalfields-london-pictures#/?picture=396250175&index=0
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Paul's, Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge, o2.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the summer Grays Inn Gardens are a nice place to go and eat your lunch
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from my manor ( Blackheath/Greenwich), I've recently discovered Limehouse basin which is lovely with all the old, converted warehouses and cobbled street, the marina with the yachts and narrow boats and some cracking pubs. I like the walk along the river through Kemp Park (shame on you Thames Water) up to Wapping, stopping of at the pubs along the way, The Captain Kidd, Prespect of Whitby and The Ramsgate. All of which have great views down the river.

Ah the Kidd....My local. Big beer garden, cheap beer, river views, friendly atmosphere. Sorted.
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westbourne Park, probably London's most urban area. I used to love the walk under the Westway from the Tavistock down to Portobello Road market.

It's gone up in the world though... flats in the Trellick Tower selling for half a million and even the Pit appears to be some trendy modern apartments.

Still worth visiting for the Portuguese cafes on Golborne Road though :)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Old Compton Street.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronet
    Crosse Keys
    William IV Leyton
    Brewdog (x2)
    Cask
    Craft Beer Co (soon x 3)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    I've never been to Rio, but I'd like to. :)
    You should! I'm not Brazilian though, which probably makes the London thing sound worse now! :D
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Since I moved to Angel last year one of my favourite Sunday walks is along the Regent's Canal to either the Limehouse basin or to Broadway Market then down to Hackney Rd and Columbia Rd flower market and on to Brick Lane market and Spitalfields. Alternatively, the walk West from Barnsbury through Camden, Regent's Park to Little Venice and Paddington is also good.

Favourite parts of London also include Soho, Kensington, Hampstead and Highgate.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Midiboy wrote: »
    Since I moved to Angel last year one of my favourite Sunday walks is along the Regent's Canal to either the Limehouse basin or to Broadway Market then down to Hackney Rd and Columbia Rd flower market and on to Brick Lane market and Spitalfields. Alternatively, the walk West from Barnsbury through Camden, Regent's Park to Little Venice and Paddington is also good.

Favourite parts of London also include Soho, Kensington, Hampstead and Highgate.

The walk from Camden to Regent's Park is lovely, I have caught a boat from there as well to the zoo, it was a lovely ride and you get to go in a secret entrance.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loved Greenwich.
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Blackheath and Greenwich - both the park and the old town. Great atmosphere (apart from the traffic) and even better now the Cutty Sark is back.

Richmond riverfront - also a great atmosphere from the pubs, bars and boats and love the walks along the river path both south to Teddington Lock and north around Kew Gardens to Kew and beyond.

Kew Gardens themselves though horribly overpriced these days.

Also love Richmond Park, so vast you can feel that you're in the middle of the countryside.

The woods, ponds and open spaces of Hampstead Heath and the view from Parliament Hill fields all the way across London.

In the centre, love both St James's and Hyde Park, the vibe of the South Bank and Covent Garden.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas, I've only just got back and I'm ready to go again.

I had a walk round Mayfair on Saturday. It's fantastic, so quiet and smart and only a step away from from the rush of Oxford St. Sat in Berkeley Sq, looking at Clive of India's house were he died of a laudanum overdose while still in his forties. Winston Churchill and countless blue plaques. Who said money doesn't help?

You can buy a terraced house for £35m or go cheap with a flat for just 10m.

I do love the buzz of the tourist highlights too. Trafalgar Sq and a walk down Whitehall past Phillip's London pad to Westminster Bridge ( unbelievably sadly now boasting a Tesco). Sitting on Eros and watching the world go by.
    Also boat rides on the river are great value and brilliant views.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The walk from Camden to Regent's Park is lovely, I have caught a boat from there as well to the zoo, it was a lovely ride and you get to go in a secret entrance.

I had a boat ride along the canal from Camden to Little Venice on Saturday. Some peeps got off at the secret Zoo door. The views of the back of some huge mansions on the outer circle make your eyes water!
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British museum
    Clapham Common on first proper warm day of summer
    Spittlefields market
    St Pauls
    Manzi’s and Leicester Square
    Theatreland
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    croyden high st before the trams came (requires a tardis) ..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    During the summer Grays Inn Gardens are a nice place to go and eat your lunch

do they still have schoolgirl netball teams practising?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... i also liked the old paternoster square before prince charles condemned it ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaby's Deli on Charing Cross Road faced closure as the landlord wanted to turn it into a chain coffee house but a big campaign brought a reprieve and it's still open although still only on a one month rolling lease and it can be closed at any time. Definitely worth a visit for the felafal and salt beef with the chance of bumping into an actor from a local theatre.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/09/18/at-gabys-deli/
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the embankment at night.

Covent garden on warm dry spring day

And I will be alone in this but I love walking from the city to Tower Bridge.

The commuter boats are cool too, Westminster Bridge to the O2 for £4 or something... fabby :)
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Canary Wharf is good.............then take the DLR back into central london..........a lot of the track is up in the air

It's like a monorail.................:D

Yes... agree.. it is cool. I like the Burrito shop at CW too :)
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live at the reggae end of the Portobello in the 70s. The shops and pubs were brill, as was the Notting Hill Carnival - it was just a local thing back then, and not swamped with tourists.
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Ah the Kidd....My local. Big beer garden, cheap beer, river views, friendly atmosphere. Sorted.
    Captain Kidd was my local when I worked in Wapping a few years ago.

The view of Canary Wharf at night must be the best of any beer garden in London :)