School uniform policy

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been asked by a friend today a question regarding their childs uniform policy and thought some people on here might be more in knowledgeable than me on this subject.

Now before all know it all education brigade embark a rabble on this thread please bare in mind I am only the messenger and do not wish to be shot down in flames for simply asking a question.

At the start of last her childrens school brought in a new uniform, very smart it is as well. All the children look very "private school" like and in my opinion it is a good image for the school. However yesterday the children came home from school with some "minor" changes to the schools uniform policy

"School logoed black v-neck wool jumper or cardigan or school logoed blazer - the blazer is only compulsory for year 7 students. All of these items are standard issue only available from the school (Other black jumpers/cardigans/blazers are NOT acceptable uniform) Jumpers/cardigans/blazers MUST be worn at all times unless given permission by a member of staff. Even in class, dinner and while moving around the school building during breaks and in-between lessons.

Top buttons of white shirts must be fastened at all time and accompanied with the school tie.

Failure to comply with the school uniform policy may result in a warning which may then result in a student being placed in isolation.

BIB are the parts she is wanting some advice on, even on hots like this and regardless of personal circumstances of the pupils consent has to be given to remove a wool jumper or blazer. She and I to be honest don't this it is right to make children be subjected to be made to wear the BIB at all times.

Everyone is different, at times some people feel cold, some people feel warm and you can feel discomfort for different reasons and I believe it is unfair that any human being be made to wear constantly a wool jumper or blazer.

I would also like to add the teachers don't have to wear wool jumpers/cardigans or dress jackets and are often seen with their top buttons undone, if teachers were given the conditions in this school uniform policy their unions would be up in arms.

Is there anything that can be done to challenge this decision?

Comments

• culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schools are - unwisely in my view - given the powers to potentially act as tin pot dictators, and sadly some school heads and governors go on to abuse that power.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Thats a bit excessive. Not the top botton bit, because we had to do that in our school, but the keeping your blazer on. I mean we had to have it on moving between classes in the Quad, but once we got into class or sitting around at lunch we were allowed to take the blazer off at will, and keep in mind my school was a proper posh grammar school.

So yeh that part is a bit OTT. Top bottons should always be done up though even in hot weather. It isnt that bad.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I have been asked by a friend today a question regarding their childs uniform policy and thought some people on here might be more in knowledgeable than me on this subject.

Now before all know it all education brigade embark a rabble on this thread please bare in mind I am only the messenger and do not wish to be shot down in flames for simply asking a question.

At the start of last her childrens school brought in a new uniform, very smart it is as well. All the children look very "private school" like and in my opinion it is a good image for the school. However yesterday the children came home from school with some "minor" changes to the schools uniform policy

"School logoed black v-neck wool jumper or cardigan or school logoed blazer - the blazer is only compulsory for year 7 students. All of these items are standard issue only available from the school (Other black jumpers/cardigans/blazers are NOT acceptable uniform) Jumpers/cardigans/blazers MUST be worn at all times unless given permission by a member of staff. Even in class, dinner and while moving around the school building during breaks and in-between lessons.

Top buttons of white shirts must be fastened at all time and accompanied with the school tie.

Failure to comply with the school uniform policy may result in a warning which may then result in a student being placed in isolation.

BIB are the parts she is wanting some advice on, even on hots like this and regardless of personal circumstances of the pupils consent has to be given to remove a wool jumper or blazer. She and I to be honest don't this it is right to make children be subjected to be made to wear the BIB at all times.

Everyone is different, at times some people feel cold, some people feel warm and you can feel discomfort for different reasons and I believe it is unfair that any human being be made to wear constantly a wool jumper or blazer.

I would also like to add the teachers don't have to wear wool jumpers/cardigans or dress jackets and are often seen with their top buttons undone, if teachers were given the conditions in this school uniform policy their unions would be up in arms.

Is there anything that can be done to challenge this decision?

Yeah, they can find another school.

Uniform policy is there to get kids used to dressing smartly, for when they hopefully get out of school and become business people. Usually kids don't have to wear the blazers or jumpers whilst in a class, just whilst walking between classes and when going to/from school. In class the teacher will usually show common sense and the kids will be able to take off their blazers if they want to.

If that upsets this person, I suggest they find a lower class of school where uniform standards (and usually student standards as well) are lower.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IS it a private school, I may have missed it, it is a rather long OP!

My advice is, speaking with management experience in school admissions and welfare, there is no way a LA school will get away with isolating or excluding a pupil because their parents can't afford to buy an official piece of uniform. Providing its the same colour and style then its unlikely they will take any action. Its all hot air in my experience and that very phrase has come from a number of HTs I've worked with!

Edit: Sorry, missed the BIB! In terms of how uniforms should be worn does seem excessive and yes schools can dictate this but again, being isolated for an infringement is highly unlikely!
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happens if you are wearing a jumper? Are you forced to wear the blazer as well, or is it the blazer or jumper or cardigan?

I find it all hard to believe.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »

My advice is, speaking with management experience in school admissions and welfare, there is no way a LA school will get away with isolating or excluding a pupil because their parents can't afford to buy an official piece of uniform. Providing its the same colour and style then its unlikely they will take any action. Its all hot air in my experience and that very phrase has come from a number of HTs I've worked with!

Right... me thinks you havnt read the OP at all
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks like bullcrap.

Find out what the actual rules are, then abide by them.

If you don't want your child to wear a uniform, then send them to a different school.

Or teach them yourself.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right... me thinks you havnt read the OP at all

See my edit....I failed to notice the BIB, I scanned (it was a long post)! I was responding to the whole OP and why schools will rarely if ever enforce the policy if someone is simply not following a particular combination of uniform for whatever reason!!
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problems with BIB. If they don't have to wear hats to and from school, they're getting off pretty easily.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

Edit: Sorry, missed the BIB! In terms of how uniforms should be worn does seem excessive and yes schools can dictate this but again, being isolated for an infringement is highly unlikely!

No it's not a private school
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    My son's school have a similar policy on uniform, but common sense rules and the kids are allowed to remove jumpers and just wear their polo shirts on hot days. They are supposed to ask permission but the teachers just let it slide.

Just like anywhere, there are a couple of jobsworths, but that's life unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Uniform policy is there to get kids used to dressing smartly, for when they hopefully get out of school and become business people. Usually kids don't have to wear the blazers or jumpers whilst in a class, just whilst walking between classes and when going to/from school. In class the teacher will usually show common sense and the kids will be able to take off their blazers if they want to.

If that upsets this person, I suggest they find a lower class of school where uniform standards (and usually student standards as well) are lower.

Thank you very much for you input but since she lives in a rural area and the next school is an hour and a half away.

She has no issue with the uniform at all, like I have stated it does look very smart, the issue is that pupils are made to wear parts of the uniform at all times. I would also like to stress that the standard teachers of this school do not support the senior leadership team with the decision that they have made.

Would you like to wear a dress jacket in this weather in canteen while you're eating your lunch?
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on how it is enforced i suppose. Sound like that was written by a jumped up little dictator.

Its hard to imagine in reality teachers enforcing this strictly. They have enough to deal with without obsessing over who has taken his blazer off, especially on a hot day.

I would ignore this letter tbh. See what happens in school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    My son's school have a similar policy on uniform, but common sense rules and the kids are allowed to remove jumpers and just wear their polo shirts on hot days. They are supposed to ask permission but the teachers just let it slide.

Just like anywhere, there are a couple of jobsworths, but that's life unfortunately.

They were all made to wear their jumpers and blazers in communal area while they were moving round in the school, standard teachers gave permission to take their jumpers and blazers off in their lessons but the SLT did not. It has been 21degrees today.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were all made to wear their jumpers and blazers in communal area while they were moving round in the school, standard teachers gave permission to take their jumpers and blazers off in their lessons but the SLT did not. It has been 21degrees today.

Nope.

Don't believe you.

All schools have summer uniform and after May half term AT THE LAST, it's put into action.

Load of cobblers.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    When I was at school we had to wear jumpers/blazers and could only remove them of the teacher took off his jacket (can't remember what happened if it happened to be a female teacher) as I remember there was a bit of common sense going on - we were never made to sit sweating buckets - if it was a very hot day I remember just wearing a shirt.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Surely there is a summer uniform? Don't all schools have winter/summer variations in uniform?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that all school is good for these days? That's sad.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A child having to ask an adult if they can take their blazer off is hardly worth getting upset about.
    Forum Member

That's just ridiculous. The teacher is probably someone with an attitude like Chizzleface.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

The last thing I want for my kids is for them to become "business people".
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

It was a touch of sarcasm, but I forget that sarcasm doesn't really work in text form. But the point is still that it does teach kids about dressing smartly.
  • alijalij Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    The school my children go to has the same rule, apart from it is probably slightly stricter as all years have to wear the blazer unless express permission has been given to remove it. A jumper may be worn under a blazer but can't be worn on its own.

It is a state school and it is enforced rigorously, if children refuse to adhere they are sent to isolation although they are given a chance to correct and it is only if they then refuse that this is acted on. They don't have a summer uniform other than the jumper being not compulsory which means winter becomes shirt, tie, jumper and blazer summer is shirt, tie and blazer. Shirts may be long or short sleeved.
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous. The teacher is probably someone with an attitude like Chizzleface.

If you want to bring something up with me, do it directly, none of this passive-aggressive crap :)
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Surely there is a summer uniform? Don't all schools have winter/summer variations in uniform?

We didn't have blazers at my school but we had jumpers and they were optional to wear all year round

You could wear a jumper in the height of summer or walk around in shirt sleeves in the height of winter if you wanted.

The main uniform issues were people wearing ties wrongly and attempting to wear trainers.