Options

I know we are a nation of pet lovers but ......

Comments

• Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of ours gives her cat Christmas cards and birthday cards as well as presents. We love our 3 cats but that's it, they don't get cards or presents.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dogs "gave" me a Mother's Day card yesterday, there's no harm in it and I loved it. The person who gave it to me was happy and I was happy, win win.:)
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So as for OP's question regarding toothless simpletons who treat their pets as if equally sentient and sentimental beings - these people are amongst the most intolerable within society; alongside Tolkien fanatics and Tory voters.

:( I was quite depressed about having just lost a tooth, when a mother's day card arrived from the cat that cheered me up immensely.

Mrs Tiddles has told me to tell you that you are a sad, soulless person and that you probably are a UKIP voter :p
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In close quarters, I do find animals disgusting. And I didn't call all owners 'toothless simpletons' - I was referring to people who take the sentimentality too far. Please read all posts carefully.

And since I didn't single out anyone on this thread directly, hence my 'bleating' of ad hominem when it was done to me.

I suspect that you may send your neighbours Christmas cards 'from' your dog. Am I correct? ;-)

My cats don't like grumpy sods, so they won't be sending you a Christmas card. They are a very good judge of character.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I dislike people who treat animals as animals and not as pets, who are obviously and should be part of your family, as otherwise what is the point of buying/adopting/fostering/rescuing a dog/cat if you're not going to give it affection and love.
    I think though that people can go a bit ott with their love for their pets, and although I wouldn't do that, I don't see any harm in it, considering they're only showing nothing but love for their pets and that can't be a bad thing, especially in this world where we all read distressing stories about animals that aren't as lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think generally that men or women who don't like babies/kids or don't want to have pets, are generally mean, unkind people, and if I were looking for a new boyfriend, and they didn't have those qualities, I'd steer well clear!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I think generally that men or women who don't like babies/kids or don't want to have pets, are generally mean, unkind people, and if I were looking for a new boyfriend, and they didn't have those qualities, I'd steer well clear!

I don't want to have pets because I don't like to have animals, their hair, their slobber, their smell, their food or their litter baskets etc in the house. I do like animals however, but to not want one as a pet doesn't put me in the mean, unkind person category.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We know people that used to sign cards from their pets that soon changed though when they got boyfriends/husbands.

When I was younger we did write a card to my father and managed to get all the cats to put a paw print on it (that was bloody hard work though).
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I don't want to have pets because I don't like to have animals, their hair, their slobber, their smell, their food or their litter baskets etc in the house. I do like animals however, but to not want one as a pet doesn't put me in the mean, unkind person category.

Evil man!

By the way I have pets. I don't let my dog anywhere near my face however, as he has the most disgusting habits - one of which is licking the cat's arse. And she lets him!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    I find most animals quite disgusting.

I will never understand people who french kiss their dogs (or whatever that grotesque act of affection 'twixt owner and beast is supposed to be). Slobbering, shitting and stinking pets turn my stomach. I respect animals but having them in my home - no thank you.

So as for OP's question regarding toothless simpletons who treat their pets as if equally sentient and sentimental beings - these people are amongst the most intolerable within society; alongside Tolkien fanatics and Tory voters.

I bet you are fun at parties...
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    We've done the card a few times but it's been a joke rather than anything serious. My Mum loves our cat and always insists on him being in cards.

But no as much as I love my cat, he doesn't get treated like a human. For sure he is a family member but he gets treated as a very much loved cat.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    ....... do we sometimes take it to far??!

Every year I get a birthday card and present present from my mums dog - card tells me that the dog sends lots of licks and tail wags!!!

Today one of my friends was sent a Mothers Day card from their 2 dogs ( although handwriting looked suspiciously like her husbands).

Our cats are a much cherished part of our family but I think both of the above are a step too far.

Am I alone in this?

Meh. Live and let live, I say.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find most animals quite disgusting.

I will never understand people who french kiss their dogs (or whatever that grotesque act of affection 'twixt owner and beast is supposed to be). Slobbering, shitting and stinking pets turn my stomach. I respect animals but having them in my home - no thank you.

Hasn't there been research papers showing that animals are in fact sentient beings? Which would make treating them as such pretty logical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that :blush:

I was meaning, people that have little regard for animals and wouldn't help an animal in need if they saw one.

I've got two cats, and I do wish sometimes I didn't have cats, as they can be a major headache to me at times, but I love them still, even when I'm applying sellotape for half an hour on my pillowcases due to the amount of black cat hair they've left there :(
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think sending cards is definitely going to far, the same goes for those people who dress their dogs up in stupid little outfits and things like that. I think there's a screw loose somewhere.

Then again I'm not an animal person, I'd much rather eat an animal than stroke it. I've never been into pets and if I had to have one it'd be a snake or lizard or something like that. I've no interest in cats or dogs at all.

I'm not some kind of evil person who goes around kicking puppies, I'd just prefer to avoid cats and dogs and genuinely wouldn't care if I never saw a cat or dog again.

I was meaning, people that have little regard for animals and wouldn't help an animal in need if they saw one.

Surely that depends on the situation. I'd be incredibly wary of approaching a strange animal in distress in case it bit me, I certainly wouldn't put myself in any danger to help an animal and I certainly wouldn't ever put the life of an animal above that of a human. That doesn't make me a bad person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I think sending cards is definitely going to far, the same goes for those people who dress their dogs up in stupid little outfits and things like that. I think there's a screw loose somewhere.

Then again I'm not an animal person, I'd much rather eat an animal than stroke it. I've never been into pets and if I had to have one it'd be a snake or lizard or something like that. I've no interest in cats or dogs at all.

I'm not some kind of evil person who goes around kicking puppies, I'd just prefer to avoid cats and dogs and genuinely wouldn't care if I never saw a cat or dog again.

Surely that depends on the situation. I'd be incredibly wary of approaching a strange animal in distress in case it bit me, I certainly wouldn't put myself in any danger to help an animal and I certainly wouldn't ever put the life of an animal above that of a human. That doesn't make me a bad person.
    Please don't take that personally, I'm just talking hypothetically! :)

I think depending on the situation, I would definitely risk my life to help an animal, especially if it was very distressed and frightened.
    I picked up a little kitten last year which had been run over, and before i got to it, a couple of people had already walked past it, and I just couldn't believe how anyone could be so unfeeling!
    I agree with you about the cards, and the dressing up sometimes seems a bit unnecessary unless it's a warm coat for the winter months.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm one of the ott pet owners I think! My Chloé kitten is going to be a year old very soon and I'm thinking of maybe a little combined shindig with my pal who's gonna turn 32. I'm thinking of treats I can get for Chloé.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dogs lick each others privates so no I don't want them licking me, I've seen where their tongues have been. I don't do presents and cards for them either, I love them to bit but they are animals, they appreciate stuff but not as presents but each to their own.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

I've got two cats, and I do wish sometimes I didn't have cats, as they can be a major headache to me at times, but I love them still, even when I'm applying sellotape for half an hour on my pillowcases due to the amount of black cat hair they've left there :(

That's what I couldn't stand when we had cats. I wished them no harm but the house always felt...dirty with them in? It was their hair and dander floating around that made the air feel itchy and grubby no matter how often we cleaned it. My grandad took them in the end when we had our eldest son, and we completely refurbished the house. New carpets, furniture etc. It just felt so much cleaner without them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I love animals, I just hate it when people don't clean up after them. Having the streets full of shit is just disgusting
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite. In that situation I wouldn't even give the ultimatum - I would just walk.

Without the hyperbole:
    - I don't like the idea of being close to, or 'kissing' animals whatsoever;
    - I find most pet smells/odours really disagreeable;
    - The people who try to assign animals human characteristics or otherwise frankly creep me out.

Like I said in my first post - I respect animals, I just don't want one. OP asked, I answered.

Speaking as one who adores animals, I totally understand this point of view.

We have a beautiful cat, who has the most incredible personality, and is constantly attention seeking owing to being fussed all the time. I do not, however, kiss it in any manner (even the air version), nor do I send cards on it's behalf nor bestow human characteristics upon it - even when it conducts a conversation. It is an immaculate creature and has no smell whatsoever.

People who kiss dogs and don't seem to notice the stink in their houses leave me similarly unimpressed.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my local paper at the weekend there was a Mother's Day message for someone from her dog.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love getting a card with my dogs names and a little paw print in it. Makes me smile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    it's just a bit of fun really. I don't do it much but I did buy a santa hat and scarf for my cat once, just for a pic as it was adorable. I love my cats and if my OH got me a card from them I'd laugh but love it!! I also used to buy the dog xmas presents and give her ham and turkey!
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's just a bit of fun really. I don't do it much but I did buy a santa hat and scarf for my cat once, just for a pic as it was adorable. I love my cats and if my OH got me a card from them I'd laugh but love it!! I also used to buy the dog xmas presents and give her ham and turkey!

I wrap my dog's Christmas presents and he loves opening them! :D