Is it illegal to drive in the UK if the airbag doesn't work

2»

Comments

• Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    My car passed it's last MOT, my airbag is in the spare room cupboard and it's obvious from the steering wheel that it's no longer there.

However, the light that tells the MOT Tester that the system does not have a fault is working so it's not an MOT fail :)

I'm sorry but this is definitely an mot fail....please read the Mot tester's Manual section 5.4....Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS).
    Reason for failure...An airbag obviously missing or defective!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429032/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-7-vehicles.pdf
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I agree, it should be a fail for the airbag being removed but as the tester said to me last time, how am I meant to know?

My insurance company are aware the airbags have been removed.

Because you said "it's obvious from the steering wheel that it's no longer there.". The tester can lose his nomination ('tester licence' - and so perhaps his job) if this comes to light, e.g. in a police roadside stop and check, or if someone shops him.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I recall it was not uncommon some years ago for nice folks to break into your car, take a stanley knife to the steering wheel and steal the airbag device.

I call bullshit.

I don't see why anybody would do this. It's the weirdest form of vandalism with no obvious gain/entertainment value. 99% of air-bags probably spend their lives having never been deployed so if this did happen, most people would never even know.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simple, airbag light on...MOT fail. Airbag light not illuminating (bulb blown for instance)...advisory only.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I call bullshit.

I don't see why anybody would do this. It's the weirdest form of vandalism with no obvious gain/entertainment value. 99% of air-bags probably spend their lives having never been deployed so if this did happen, most people would never even know.

It did happen. Here's a story from the MEN - it's 2 years old but it did happen!
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/car-airbags-target-latest-crimewave-6712889
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the airbag was missing, would it be legal to drive with a space hopper Velcroed to your chest?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I recall it was not uncommon some years ago for nice folks to break into your car, take a stanley knife to the steering wheel and steal the airbag device.
    Pucky wrote: »
    It did happen. Here's a story from the MEN - it's 2 years old but it did happen!
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/car-airbags-target-latest-crimewave-6712889

Yes, but the MEN story isn't saying the thieves took a stanley knife to the steering wheel to steal the airbag which is actually impossible.

On my car, for example, It's quite easy to remove the airbag by shoving a screwdriver inside a hole under the steering wheel and to release a spring clip holding the airbag in position.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Because you said "it's obvious from the steering wheel that it's no longer there.". The tester can lose his nomination ('tester licence' - and so perhaps his job) if this comes to light, e.g. in a police roadside stop and check, or if someone shops him.

It's very obvious. Same steering wheel as mine. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12549132_992630377475863_3227329866447872997_n.jpg?oh=8cf6117d3fe67a8e9c47e87cfa216a13&oe=5733BFB9

I went to another MOT stations before going to my usual with that wheel fitted and none had an issue with it.
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is definitely an mot fail....please read the Mot tester's Manual section 5.4....Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS).
    Reason for failure...An airbag obviously missing or defective!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429032/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-7-vehicles.pdf

I'm well aware of the rule you're quoting, however, as I said above 2 separate testing stations viewed my car and both said it would be a pass. Both qualified people with valid testing certificates, both agreed.

This year I qualify for a motorsport MOT anyway, so it's not an issue anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very obvious. Same steering wheel as mine. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12549132_992630377475863_3227329866447872997_n.jpg?oh=8cf6117d3fe67a8e9c47e87cfa216a13&oe=5733BFB9

I went to another MOT stations before going to my usual with that wheel fitted and none had an issue with it.

I'm well aware of the rule you're quoting, however, as I said above 2 separate testing stations viewed my car and both said it would be a pass. Both qualified people with valid testing certificates, both agreed.

AH! Now you changed the goalposts :D
    You didn't say you had a modified vehicle...why didn't you post the photo of your steering wheel previously?

The rules for airbags are very clear regarding normal everyday motors.
    I've been in the motor trade long enough to know the rules.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Drip drip drip... you are either holding back relevant info to suck people in, then adding bits as you go along, or making stuff up. WUM tactics so I'm out.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Doctorb wrote: »
    Quite simple, airbag light on...MOT fail. Airbag light not illuminating (bulb blown for instance)...advisory only.
    How do you know when the bulb has blown?...a driver might be driving around with faulty airbag and the bulb might not be working!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Drip drip drip... you are either holding back relevant info to suck people in, then adding bits as you go along, or making stuff up. WUM tactics so I'm out.

Aye, the minute I saw that photo of a racing wheel, I knew it was all trolling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    How do you know when the bulb has blown?...a driver might be driving around with faulty airbag and the bulb might not be working!

Because the light must come on when the ignition is started, then extinguish.
    If no light comes on, it's either blown, removed, or faulty, hence MOT fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

That was an example of why a bulb isn't working, but for sake of an MOT, if the light does not illuminate at all it is an advisory only. Strange, but that's the rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »

There is an explanation in the comments section as well, bottom of page.

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/common-mistakes-made-by-mot-testers/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, the minute I saw that photo of a racing wheel, I knew it was all trolling.

It's still a road car, as still doesn't qualify for a Motorsport MOT a the moment as the roll cage and bucket seats aren't fitted.

That wheel is used with standard seats and seatbelts so I should have an airbag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a practical point of view, surely the issue is that a faulty airbag might trigger at an inappropriate time and cause you to die in a horrific, fiery, collision, along with many other innocent people?

Once you remove a faulty airbag it is no longer a cause for concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aslan52 wrote: »
    From a practical point of view, surely the issue is that a faulty airbag might trigger at an inappropriate time and cause you to die in a horrific, fiery, collision, along with many other innocent people?

Once you remove a faulty airbag it is no longer a cause for concern.

Has that ever happened? Usually if the ECU senses a fault it never deploys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still a road car, as still doesn't qualify for a Motorsport MOT a the moment as the roll cage and bucket seats aren't fitted.

That wheel is used with standard seats and seatbelts so I should have an airbag.

If there is no airbag light on and it's obvious that the drivers steering wheel bag hasn't been removed...mot pass and advise...as in, the steering wheel does not accommodate an airbag to be removed.

Will need to find the official answer...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    If there is no airbag light on and it's obvious that the drivers steering wheel bag hasn't been removed...mot pass and advise...as in, the steering wheel does not accommodate an airbag to be removed.

Will need to find the official answer...

Ah, good point can't comment on the removal of airbag as it's not removed as it was never present - in the current wheel anyway.

No advisory on it by the way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, good point can't comment on the removal of airbag as it's not removed as it was never present - in the current wheel anyway.

Your right, probably doesn't need an advisory but for a nominated Mot tester its worth covering your butt...
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member

Nice....of course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yet
    My car passed it's last MOT, my airbag is in the spare room cupboard and it's obvious from the steering wheel that it's no longer there.

However, the light that tells the MOT Tester that the system does not have a fault is working so it's not an MOT fail :)

Can you see how your post was misleading?
    "my airbag is in the spare room" not the OEM wheel with its installed bag is in the spare room.
    Your post gave the impression that you still had the existing wheel in situ with a big hole in it where the airbag used to be, when all you really wanted to do was tell everyone that you have an aftermarket racing wheel and that you do lots of trackdays.

I bet you do this all the time in any conversation.
    "Cor, its really tipping down out there"
    "Yeah, just like it was at Snetterton last Sunday, when I was on the track in my 172"
    "Wuh?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snip

When you put it like that... Yes, it was misleading.

However, I stand by the point, my car has an MOT and it's obvious from the fitted wheel that it does not have an airbag. I now agree with the other user that the reason it's not a fail is it's obvious that wheel never had one, despite the system telling the tester that all the airbags works fine.

If I wanted to tell everyone I do lots of trackdays, then I'd choose a far better forum to do so than a random forum post regarding airbags. I hope you don't take any comments of mine regarding tyres out of context as I use R888s on the road!

Anyway, you'll never find me at Snet on a Sunday as I only do evenings there :p