Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

14567810»

Comments

• spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Some Liberal, limp wristed, handwringing claptrap. I've seen this film and felt gratified when the murderer/rapist (Sean Penn) was put to death. It was fully deserved and justified.

Yes it was, and Penn's performance earned him an Oscar if I remember rightly?
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    UK needs the death penalty badly , our justice system is the laughing stock of the world .

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it being re-introduced , not that it ever will be , all the do-gooders have pretty much ruined any chance of offenders ever being properly punished for there crimes .

I used to think exactly the same but now I'm completely 100% against the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK. My reasons for this u-turn are simple. Firstly I don't think the death penalty is really a satisfactory deterrent, people have murdered since time immemorial and always will, it's a sad but true fact. Secondly I do not believe that it is a punishment in any way, shape or form. How can somebody who's dead be punished ? What I am in favour of is proper punishment, a complete living hell every day for the rest of their lives. Should the convicted criminal become seriously ill, then every effort must be taken to ensure their survival in order for this living hell to continue.

By living hell I don't mean the shiny-floored landing modern prison, with it's pool and table tennis tables, gymnasiums and all mod cons. I mean the kind of system like the Russian Gulags of the Stalinist / Soviet era. I always see the kind of Gulag like that in the novel A Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn as the kind of place fit for these murderous individuals. They should never be allowed contact with the outside world, never be allowed visitors, speak or write to members of their family ever again. They should not be allowed any family photos or mementoes. TV, Books or any form of physical or electronic media should not be allowed. They are alive but to all intents and purposes dead. Finally the sentence should be life, and by that it should mean in its' entirety.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Some Liberal, limp wristed, handwringing claptrap. I've seen this film and felt gratified when the murderer/rapist (Sean Penn) was put to death. It was fully deserved and justified

No doubt about it.

If Tim Robbins' intent in directing that movie was to show the horrors of capital punishment, he failed.

Sean Penn's character totally deserved to die.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »
    I used to think exactly the same but now I'm completely 100% against the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK. My reasons for this u-turn are simple. Firstly I don't think the death penalty is really a satisfactory deterrent, people have murdered since time immemorial and always will, it's a sad but true fact. Secondly I do not believe that it is a punishment in any way, shape or form. How can somebody who's dead be punished ? What I am in favour of is proper punishment, a complete living hell every day for the rest of their lives. Should the convicted criminal become seriously ill, then every effort must be taken to ensure their survival in order for this living hell to continue.

By living hell I don't mean the shiny-floored landing modern prison, with it's pool and table tennis tables, gymnasiums and all mod cons. I mean the kind of system like the Russian Gulags of the Stalinist / Soviet era. I always see the kind of Gulag like that in the novel A Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn as the kind of place fit for these murderous individuals. They should never be allowed contact with the outside world, never be allowed visitors, speak or write to members of their family ever again. They should not be allowed any family photos or mementoes. TV, Books or any form of physical or electronic media should not be allowed. They are alive but to all intents and purposes dead. Finally the sentence should be life, and by that it should mean in its' entirety.

I think pro DP is more of a viewpoint that people who have taken life have given up their right to live rather than it being a punishment. They obviously can't experience anything whilst dead, but ceasing to exist means that never enjoy any possible joys which life can offer.

About 10 ago, on James Stannage's radio talk show he suggested that criminals in jail for serious crimes like murder should have the option of drinking a poisonous cocktail which would end their life. They wouldn't be forced to drink it so it wouldn't be the death penalty, but they'd have the option.

An arguement against this would be that criminals should not be given the choice whether to live or die as their victims didn't have the choice, but it's better than the state paying a fortune to keep them alive for decades and the potential of them taking new victims when finally released.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    So Baer had two charges of rape and one of sexual assault in addition to the two murders. And he still has some woman in Germany happy to be his girlfriend! :eek:!
    Look at the amount of admirers the Yorkshire Ripper gets!
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those prisoners were locked up 23 hours a day,I think Id rther be put to death How do they not go crazy(excluding ones that already are!)
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Some of those prisoners were locked up 23 hours a day,I think Id rther be put to death How do they not go crazy(excluding ones that already are!)

Yes, and some of the cells were claustrophobically tiny!

And why are some cells larger than others? The death row ones seemed to be massive in comparison to the one Sanford was in (where he only gets to leave for one hour a day into another cage with just a basketball hoop).
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a doc on Kip Kinkel. the teenager who killed both his parents, and 25 others at Thurston High school. He wasn't an exceptionally clever child, he had an interest in guns, dyslexic, shoplifter, was on prozac for a period and, the voiceover intimated, his father had high hopes for his son, insinuating the boy hd a lot to live up to, which I don't believe for a second. Now, Kip had an elder sister who did not go on to commit matricide and patricide as well as numerous other slayings. Both were raised by the same parents and were treated the same. So how can his upbringing, as is the case with wishy washy liberals who defend them, be the impetus for his crimes? These people are plain evil; if you take a life, you should give yours. Even this will not bring people's loved ones back so will not, consequently, offer any comfort. This Baer guy didn't put a bullet through them - which, in itself, makes the crime no less extreme - he slit the throats of a young mother and a 4 year old child. The method used was horrendously executed by a sick individual who wasn't satisfied with straightforward murder; he had to watch them suffer. Indiana need to get rid of this guy asap. Also, these lifers allowed pets? Are they having a laugh? Even the cats are subject to being restricted to the cells. these despicable inmates should not even be afforded an hour's freedom, never mind any form of privelege. I can recall when I did my GCE O level my oral topic was capital punishment. I believed in it then and am an exponent of it now.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Didn't Sanford say he suffered psychosis when he was still a teenager?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »

I agree with you. The only reasons I have for opposing the death penalty are because mistakes will inevitably be made, and the dehumanising effect it must have on those who are required to administer the DP. But the alternative should be incarceration until death, without "privileges" of any kind.

The only problem I see is that all murders are not the same. Is a murder done in a fit of jealousy really the same as a serial killer who tortures his victims for pleasure ? What about the woman/man who murders their spouse after years of physical/mental abuse, do they deserve to be treated the same as a child killer ?
    Perhaps there should be different categories of murder, in addition to manslaughter ?
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Also, these lifers allowed pets? Are they having a laugh? Even the cats are subject to being restricted to the cells. these despicable inmates should not even be afforded an hour's freedom, never mind any form of privelege. I can recall when I did my GCE O level my oral topic was capital punishment. I believed in it then and am an exponent of it now.

How do you view miscarriages of justice? In the case of Jill Dando's murder in 1999, would you have Barry George sentenced to death for a murder he didn't commit?
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    How do you view miscarriages of justice? In the case of Jill Dando's murder in 1999, would you have Barry George sentenced to death for a murder he didn't commit?

Barry George would never have been executed even if he'd received the death penalty, as he was constantly appealing & eventually won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps there should be different categories of murder, in addition to manslaughter ?

Aren't the sentences different depending on the nature of the murder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the repeat of this on ITV now. Wonder how Baer's sister was murdered?
    I loved the music on this show - anyone know what the theme tune was?
    Do you know what the theme music was that kept playing when they were showing walking shots etc.?

I also managed to answer my own questions by checking the credits. This is the guy who composed the music:

Samuel Sim
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the pets. That shouldn't be allowed, IMO.