Options

ebay click and collect in argos

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
For any buyer who has done this - how did it work ?

I ask because if you need to print off some emailed "we've a parcel for you" thing akin to what Royal Mail leave you, well that'd be a problem as I'm buying a printer cos mine just died.

Comments

• Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used it but I don' t remember if I printed something off or just showed it on my smartphone - sorry!

It was dead easy though, much better than hoping I was in for the parcel delivery!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    easy is what I'm after - the royal mail delivery office being 1hr11min walk away (plus 1hr 11min walk back) - why royal mail doesn't offer a text-you-when-a-parcel-is-a-coming option, especially if, like me, you live top floor in a tower block... Does a deliverer REALLY want to lug a parcel ALL THE FRICKIN WAY up there, only to find me out and then have to lug is ALL THE FRICKIN WAY back down again???, you'd think not but that's what they have to do.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The seller sends the parcel to Argos by second class. On arrival, it make take Argos half a day to collate and infform you that it can be collected. You get an email to say that it is available with a reference.
    What happens next I don't know as I am waiting for the email.

It would have been easier to have it delivered direct as I could have gone to the sorting office today in the worst case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The seller sends the parcel to Argos by second class.
    ok.
    On arrival, it make take Argos half a day to collate and infform you that it can be collected.
    right.
    You get an email to say that it is available with a reference.
    almost there
    What happens next..
    ..... yes?!
    ... I don't know as I am waiting for the email.
    doh! :o ............................... :p
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The seller sends the parcel to Argos by second class. On arrival, it make take Argos half a day to collate and infform you that it can be collected. You get an email to say that it is available with a reference.
    What happens next I don't know as I am waiting for the email.

It would have been easier to have it delivered direct as I could have gone to the sorting office today in the worst case.

As the OP can't print off the email and take it in there is an alternative if you have a smart phone. Show them the email on a smart phone. I've done this a few times and they're quite happy with it.

I use this service all the time, my local Argos has a separate counter for picking such things up and usually it's very quick. I've never been asked for ID but they sometimes ask me how my name is spelt (it's fairly unique) or my address from the billing info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smart phone yes, credits to use internet other than connecting via my own wifi - don't think so. Maybe they'd accept a photo of the email ?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Smart phone yes, credits to use internet other than connecting via my own wifi - don't think so. Maybe they'd accept a photo of the email ?
    If you have a mail client installed, you can access the email at home, possibly download any vital pictures and this should be visible from the cache and not require a connection.
    For example, on K9, I can see the last 50 emails including an order to collect from a shop.
    Test before you go though and make sure the email is recent.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I've used the service, Argos have text me with the parcel number etc, just need to show this and they give you the parcel.
    Works a treat.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^showing them the text with the parcel number and, I guess, my bank card as ID = smooth sailing - just put in my 4 orders so fingers crossed. :)
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Seller sends parcel to Argos

Argos texts/emails buyer when they receive the parcel. This message will contain a code.

Buyer has to take the code to the store to get the parcel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^thatnx for that. You'd think this info would be easily findable, but I guess my google-fu is weak this day. - hopefully I'll be able to pick up all 4 items on the same day... like a Boss. :)
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    ^thatnx for that. You'd think this info would be easily findable, but I guess my google-fu is weak this day. - hopefully I'll be able to pick up all 4 items on the same day... like a Boss. :)

I sell on ebay:)

I think the buyer has 7 days to collect the parcel once it arrives at Argos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^hopefully I won't be so set on picking up all 4 items on the same day that when I go in I find one has been returned to sender cos I left it there too long... like a Numpty. >:(
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll get a text or email with the reference code when your parcel is ready to collect. I normally just write the code on a bit of paper and hand it to them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I regularly get Ebay deliveries sent to the Argos which is inside a Homebase so it is open until 8pm. Much easier than collecting from the Royal Mail sorting office which has ridiculously short opening hours and no nearby free parking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^although one +ve for the Royal Mail Delivery Office is their opening times of 7am. IIUC Sainsburys and possibly Tescos offer this service, or something similar, but even with them opening at 7am, or 24/7, their Click+Collect part doesn't open until 9am or later, for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Received 2 FM codes today :)

"Your order will be held at the Argos store until 09-Feb-2016. If you haven’t collected your order by then, we’ll return it to the seller and you’ll receive a refund."

Does that mean

(A) I have until close of business on Feb 9th to collect them and they'll be returned on Feb 10th - so if I go in v.early Feb 10th I might be able to catch them before they send it out.

or (B) I have until cob Feb 8th and they'll be returned Feb 9th - so going in early Feb 9th might work.

?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Received 2 FM codes today :)

"Your order will be held at the Argos store until 09-Feb-2016. If you haven’t collected your order by then, we’ll return it to the seller and you’ll receive a refund."

Does that mean

(A) I have until close of business on Feb 9th to collect them and they'll be returned on Feb 10th - so if I go in v.early Feb 10th I might be able to catch them before they send it out.

or (B) I have until cob Feb 8th and they'll be returned Feb 9th - so going in early Feb 9th might work.

?

You can collect on the 9th of Feb till the end of opening hours. After that it will be returned so it might not be there on the 10 of FEB, as they might have a collection on the 9 Feb after closing time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ that's what I was thinking, but good to have it confirmed from someone in-the-know. :)
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    One warning: don't go along too close to closing time. I turned up to an Argos at 15 minutes to closing, hoping to pick up an ebay item. They wouldn't let me in.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    One warning: don't go along too close to closing time. I turned up to an Argos at 15 minutes to closing, hoping to pick up an ebay item. They wouldn't let me in.

So 15 minutes before closing time Argos is actually closed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got all 5 codes and plan a Sunday morning trip into town to pick them all up. All codes written on an A4 sheet and my granny trolley all ready to carry them home. Plus I'll be popping into PCWorld to pick up something from them too. :)
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I know the click and collect section of Sainsburys and Tescos don't open until, possibly 10am, so maybe Argos's section closes before the main store does. Hopefully their section opens when the store does on Sundays cos I wanna go in, get 'em, and get out without having to sit like a gibbon for an hour, twiddling me thumbs, until the collect-section-operator starts their shift. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [solved]

Argos - they just needed the code and my name, guy said giving him the barcodes might not've speeded things up cos they don't always scan resulting in him having to type in the code anyway.

PCWorld - similarly, just needed the code and the card I paid for it with.

QED.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used this service when I bought on ebay and it was easy. I don't have a smart phone, just a doro and they text you a ref number, no printing needed :-)