Going to the Cinema on your own....

Comments

• VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    How pathetic that people think it's sad! Are we in such a needy society that you are perceived as weird if you enjoy things alone. Strange.
    If I didn't go alone to the cinema I'd never see anything as it's not really a thing my friends and I do together
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never use to go on my own. But now I can legally drink it gives me that courage to face it alone. But I tend to do it when its quite quiet because I would get too anxious if it was busy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    is it sad? I went today for the first time on my own to see Harry Potter , cos I really wanted to see it and it was nice to get away for a bit and i really enjoyed the film. I'm not a cinemagoer anyway and have only been 3 times in my life, the first was with a friend and the 2nd with my parents and now on my own. I might go again if another film seems worth seeing.

you wouldn't ask the question if you didn't know the answer .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always used to go with friends until a couple of years ago. As someone already said in a previous post, it is much easier to concentrate on the film without a group of people, and just makes it much more enjoyable in my opinion. Some people may find it odd but meh, who cares.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's at all sad to go to the cinema alone, or even to eat alone.

Before I married I used to quite enjoy a night out alone, seeing a good film and having a pizza and ice cream after. I don't know if anyone thought I looked sad, because I wouldn't have noticed. I wouldn't think twice about going alone still.

What is sad are the people who laugh at single cinemagoers when they themselves go to the cinema to endlessly scoff sweets and crisps, use mobile phones, talk through the film and indulge in back-row snogging sessions.

There's being alone and there's being lonely - two entirely different states.

Enjoy yourself and stuff what anyone else thinks.
  • bigbrotherbigbrother Posts: 3,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's at all sad to go to the cinema alone, or even to eat alone.

Before I married I used to quite enjoy a night out alone, seeing a good film and having a pizza and ice cream after. I don't know if anyone thought I looked sad, because I wouldn't have noticed. I wouldn't think twice about going alone still.

What is sad are the people who laugh at single cinemagoers when they themselves go to the cinema to endlessly scoff sweets and crisps, use mobile phones, talk through the film and indulge in back-row snogging sessions.

There's being alone and there's being lonely - two entirely different states.

Enjoy yourself and stuff what anyone else thinks.

Hooray! Well said.

I'm 15 next Friday and have always wanted to go alone, as I feel more distractable when wive friends. I always thought people would think I was a saddo. But after reading these comments maybe I'll consider it. :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    bigbrother wrote: »
    Hooray! Well said.

I'm 15 next Friday and have always wanted to go alone, as I feel more distractable when wive friends. I always thought people would think I was a saddo. But after reading these comments maybe I'll consider it. :D

Please do.

After all, you wouldn't think twice about watching a film on TV or a DVD alone, so it's no different at the cinema (except you pay!). There's nothing to say you can't go with friends at other times as well, but alone is OK too. Maybe you want to concentrate on the film or it doesn't appeal to your mates.

It's good to learn to like your own company anyway. Never mind what anyone else thinks, it's not their business and if they think it is - they're the sad ones!

Enjoy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never used to go alone and I used to miss out on a lot of movies because no one else would want to go and see them. I first went on my own a few weeks back and I loved it, I actually prefered it to going with anyone else! I have since got a monthly cinema pass and go frequently if there is something I want to watch. My family tease me about it all the time but I dont really care.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Don't think I could do it....I mean I eat in restaurants alone when I am working away from home, but I'd just be a bit self-conscious about the couples on the back row pointing me out and whispering 'loner' to themselves.

Hooking up with another lone film fan would be cool though.
  • Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it sad? I went today for the first time on my own to see Harry Potter , cos I really wanted to see it and it was nice to get away for a bit and i really enjoyed the film. I'm not a cinemagoer anyway and have only been 3 times in my life, the first was with a friend and the 2nd with my parents and now on my own. I might go again if another film seems worth seeing.

my other half goes to the cinema all the time on his own, yes i knows he is going there before you ask, he asks if i want to come but i am not a big film fan, he says that he can enjoy the film better as he can concentrate on it instead of playing footsie with me, there is no stigma to going on your own, do it and don't worry:)
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love going to the cinema on my own - going this week. Noone to distract me and I can get lost in the film...
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is something I've been thinking about as I miss out on a lot of good films which are not my mates tastes. Sadly recently my cinema experiences have put me off, with Chavs and people with feet on my seat, but I may give it another go.

Always wanted to go on my own but I worry about what people think about me. But I've seen many people own their own during showings during the day, so I don't see what is wrong with it.

Also my mates do drive me up the wall during a film, for example laughing during action scenes which are not funny at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on my own once and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's more than likely that other people aren't paying any attention to you whatsoever, they're concentrating on themselves. Besides, it's only walking into the theatre and walking back out again that anyone would even know you're alone, and it's hardly something to be ashamed of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I'm a fairly regular cinema goer but I've only been on my own twice, partly because I had the day off and it was something to do and partly because they were films that other people had already seen or didn't want to see.

I admit I was very self-conscious going in on my own but once the film started it was OK; you just forget who is or isn't around you. And you don't have a friend whispering comments in your ear about what they think is going to happen next or who they think did it.

The second time I went alone it was a mid-week afternoon and I was the only person in the auditorium watching the film. It was like having a private screening. Now that was a bit weird!!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went at about 4, and there wasn't many people in, but there was quite a few around when I came out. I wanted to go to avoid all the school kids, cos i think most break up soon for the Summer Hols.

Sorry but that is far too young to go to the cinema on your own. :D
  • Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind going to the cinema on my own. If you go with a friend or with a group of mates then it's not like you'd be talking all the way through anyway.

You walk in and sit down somewhere. Watch the film and then leave at the end. The people around you are never likely to see you again so don't worry about it.

If people think it's sad then it says more about them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,385
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I've considered it a bit of a sad thing to do, but when I think about it...I don't quite know why. After all, you don't really want to talk to people whilst watching it, do you? Otherwise, you could just scrap the film and go and find a bench somewhere!

Anyway, I've just got back from abroad, and need to catch up on some much missed, high-profile films (Shrek the third, HP), so may be forced to 'go it alone', as all my friends have long seen them :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've recently got a job as a usher at a my local cinema, and to be honest i used to think that people who used to go on their own were a bit sad:o .

But now that i work there and i've seen how many people actually go by themselves it's not actually that bad, i'm even considering it myself.

Don't worry what others think, go and enjoy the movie!
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    I often go on my own, I've got a day off work next week and i'm off by myself to watch Hairspray, cant wait:D
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done it once and I'd do it again. Sometime when you go with friends you miss a lot of it because you end up mucking around.

My mum does it often... I don't blame her! With 3 kids and a husband no wonder she legs it to watch something in peace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to sit on the very front row in the middle seat. I love to be overwhelmed with the movie. Plus no heads in the way and popcorn muching.

I watched Bond with some friends in the middle but with all the chattering and commentary going on, I had to go back and see it at the very front.

You are paying to see a product that may have cost $150m dollars to produce. What a waste to have the experience spoilt by what's going on in the cinema.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never done it but can imagine that it would be good to get away on your own sometimes, can't see the difference between this and watching a film on TV on your own.
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoy going for a meal on my own (well I did when you could smoke) and I've gone to the cinema on my own a couple of times but I found I missed being able to discuss it with someone afterwards ...
  • David2oo8David2oo8 Posts: 4,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would never go myself because people thinks its a tad sad

As if you havnt got any friends :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David2oo8 wrote: »
    i would never go myself because people thinks its a tad sad

As if you havnt got any friends :p

It is sad when you cannot do things on your own because you are so worried about what other people think. That is VERY sad!