Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Watched the mini-series on Machinima, and it's as good as the re-imagined series (2004). I'm still mystified why 'Caprica' never really took off, I thought it was really well thought out. Peace and love.:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    "The two-hour movie, which began life as a 10-episode web series last November on Machinima.com, offers not only an accessible new story in the franchise, but also never before scenes not available online." Syfy USA 8th Feb 2013.

I wonder when this will be shown in the Uk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame Syfy has become such a cheap company and not allowing stuff like this to go to series.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    war in space=good tv

shame its a one off
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    SyFy;

WWE Smackdown - Yes
    New BSG - No

They should really change their name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wwe IN space could be a winner though
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hippydex1 wrote: »
    Watched the mini-series on Machinima, and it's as good as the re-imagined series (2004). I'm still mystified why 'Caprica' never really took off, I thought it was really well thought out. Peace and love.:)

I love everything about BSG (even the original) but I really couldn't get into Caprica, It just didn't work, not enough sci-fi was probably the biggest problem.
    It seemed to want to cater for not the usual audience demographic that usually watch such sci-fi shows.

I thought the ending was awful too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caprica eps 1-12 were amazing imo, loved new cap city

13-21 were kinda boring

finale was good
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    caprica eps 1-12 were amazing imo, loved new cap city

13-21 were kinda boring

finale was good

I've just finished watching the first series of Caprica on Netflix.

I can see why it got cancelled. The pacing isn't very good and it doesn't have any really engaging characters. The ideas were all there, the cyberspace stuff was really interesting, but I didn't find any of the characters that interesting. Joseph Adama was particularly bad.

The finale showed what was going to be in the second series and that looked good though. It's a shame it never got made. Perhaps they should have compressed the two seasons into one?
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    SyFy;

WWE Smackdown - Yes
    New BSG - No

They should really change their name.

SyFy the only science fiction channel which hates science fiction so much - it changed it's name :rolleyes:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

How has it taken so long to make it to UK screens?? It's such a shame what happened with Caprica and then this not taking off. There is so much life still left in the Galactica universe.

I would recommend Caprica to anyone remotely interested in BSG. Unlike the poster above, I thought it got more interesting later on. It got off to a dodgy start and viewers weren't gonna go back to it after that. Also, the show came at a time where budgets were being cut all over the place and SyFy (as it's now known) were looking to transform themselves, so Caprica wasn't given the chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really enjoyed Caprica, in our house we still talk about the srewupable digital paper stuff they used....
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    After the end of BSG, which I personally hated, I wasn't sure I could even go back to that Universe but I did watch Caprica in the end.

I did like it and it featured some imaginative stuff but knowing that they were all going to be blown up soon did make it hard to become invested in!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    After the end of BSG, which I personally hated, I wasn't sure I could even go back to that Universe but I did watch Caprica in the end.

I did like it and it featured some imaginative stuff but knowing that they were all going to be blown up soon did make it hard to become invested in!

You say 'soon' but really it's about 60 years before the Cylons nuke Caprica! Personally I think they were going to make Laura Roslin the daughter of Clarice. For a start, she was a teacher, and with Laura's story going down the religious path you've got to think she got some of that natural affinity for it passed down from her mother.

They should clear up all these story gaps with a graphic novel series!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought BG was terrific but gave up on Caprica after about 15 minutes of episode one......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reminder that this film is on SyFy tonight

I don't think I've ever seen it........I assume it's not been broadcast before ?

I might have seen clips on YouTube but I've never watched more than a few random clips so I'm looking forward to this
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Reminder that this film is on SyFy tonight

just saw this advertised on SyFy, looks good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thing I remember from the first time I watched it was that whenever there was a real world swear word they covered it with a sound effect eg: dropped spanner ect
    And that was so irritating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    well........it was OK

If that was a prologue to a new series I'd have carried on watching,

My main problem was style not content........I must be getting old because all I seem to notice these days how everything seems to be filmed in low light or dark .......and how the actors all mumble

For God's sake turn some lights on and enunciate !

I did like the homage to the original series in the opening theme tune......;-)
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i liked it it was quite scary in parts...it was a bit dark but it added to the atmosphere. would have liked to have see more robots though...
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this and I quite enjoyed it, despite not being a huge sci-fi fan.

It took a good 45 minutes to get going for me but once it did, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I understand it was originally shown in 10 x 10 minute web episodes but I don't think showing it in that format would have done it any favours and in the end, it didn't. For a cheap(ish) movie, I was impressed with most of the special effects, - especially considering much of the movie was filmed in front of green screens - and the music was good too.

I thought Luke Pasqualino ( BBC's Musketeers ) and Ben Cotton did a decent job in their roles but didn't like the actress playing the woman very much, she came across a bit stiff and emotionless, unless that was the intention because she was still mourning the death of her husband. There was little chemistry between her and Adama too, not helped by the obvious ten year age gap. ( Relationships between characters who have an obvious age gap can and do work but not here, although it wasn't meant to be a love story in the first place, so I can't really complain.

It could have done with a few more droids and the story just about holds together but overall I would give it 7 out of 10.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Anyones interested, I noticed earlier in the week that Blood and Chrome is £7.99 on Blu-ray in HMV.
    Still considering it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was a good tv movie and would have made a good series i am sure

i miss battlestar :(