Stargate from the beginning

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Stargate SG-1 Window of Opportunity is by far one of my favourite episodes, so so funny.
    "In the middle of my back-swing?!!!" :D (And I didn't even watch the video :p; or see Jenzen's post :blush:)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Burns as Goa'uld!
    Forum Member
    "It's a puppet!"

Okay. Wrong show, but you get the hint? ;)

(And the OP will remain confused for a few years yet :D)
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    "It's a puppet!"

Okay. Wrong show, but you get the hint? ;)

(And the OP will remain confused for a few years yet :D)

Lol I would love to be at the beginning of a Stargate watching journey though, so much to look forward to.

I love that episode where they did a Farscape moment too, think it was 200. Yotz!! Frell! They got all the best phrases in in under 30 seconds lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ivnFZiGNM
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the continuous Wizard of oz references from O'Neill.

I think i schedule in a re-watch of the stargate shows sometime next year. I have only ever seen every episode once but purely based on that, i feel like a big fan and it was an awesome 4/5 months of my life last year.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    "Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. They will in fact calm up!" :D
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Stargate SG-1 is definitely as good if not better than Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It's one of those rare shows that starts off good, becomes really good, then blows you away with its brilliance mid-run. After Jack O'Neill and Hammond leaves, you think 'it's all down hill from here' but the writing gets better if that's at all possible.

Stargate Atlantis was very good, but I'm not sure it ever reaches the brilliance of SG-1.

Stargate Universe was awful, from start to finish.
  • WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    I really liked SGU. I liked how it was more darker and gritter, the story was interesting to imo.

I did love all 3 Stargate shows though and miss not having new episodes to look forward to, probably too late to bring them back with the original casts now.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    just reading this thread has got me doing a re-watch , all 10 series are on Netflix
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Universe was crap. It strayed too far from the format that SG1 and Atlantis had and tried to be something different. I couldn't warm to any of the characters and none of the stories interesting. It pains me that the stargate franchise has pretty much died with that awful show and now all we have to look forward is a re-boot film franchise. Urgh
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think SGU was that bad. It was different. And had to be. We had over a decade of the same thing. The problem was that it took too long to get going and by then it had lost viewers and that was the end.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    just reading this thread has got me doing a re-watch , all 10 series are on Netflix

Ditto, having got free Netflix from Virgin so am I. Forgot how close to the movie the pilot film was as the show quickly moved away from it, but it builds a neat bridge.

That early episode where Sam tries to emancipate a planet is one they would never have done later on.

If they are really planning more movies and intend to ignore SG 1 etc altogether then they are idiots. The TV show did more for the original movie (and any continuation movies they now make) than vice versa.

They will not win fans from the TV show by being so rude about it. And the movies will need those fans.

Really fun to compare the two Daniel Jacksons (movie and TV) in their current roles. Their characters in The Blacklist and Saving Hope could not be more different. Though in the movie/TV show's early days they looked quite alike and they do still share that penchant for making quips in their new roles.

But watching Daniel Jackson married to Lois Lane whilst chasing ghosts around a hospital just does not seem right!
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the problem with these proposed new films. The people who'll go to see them are fans of the show(s). So by ignoring the series that are canon, where do they go with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto, having got free Netflix from Virgin so am I. Forgot how close to the movie the pilot film was as the show quickly moved away from it, but it builds a neat bridge.

That early episode where Sam tries to emancipate a planet is one they would never have done later on.

If they are really planning more movies and intend to ignore SG 1 etc altogether then they are idiots. The TV show did more for the original movie (and any continuation movies they now make) than vice versa.

They will not win fans from the TV show by being so rude about it. And the movies will need those fans.

Really fun to compare the two Daniel Jacksons (movie and TV) in their current roles. Their characters in The Blacklist and Saving Hope could not be more different. Though in the movie/TV show's early days they looked quite alike and they do still share that penchant for making quips in their new roles.

But watching Daniel Jackson married to Lois Lane whilst chasing ghosts around a hospital just does not seem right!

Omg have you seen that show? I find it so naff. It's like Grey's anatomy with ghosts but fails miserably with the paranormal side. But i swear Michael Shanks gets more gorgeous the older he gets.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I really liked SGU. I liked how it was more darker and gritter, the story was interesting to imo.
    I must concur with Woodbine, in that I did enjoy SGU. Granted, it did take a while to get anywhere, and the first season was very much a character building season with little else going on. It did however pick up the pace (significantly) with Season 2. I expect many people, having watched Season 1, didn't tune back in for Season 2 (because Season 1 was so slow) and because of that, the show suffered.

There was also a lot of banter and chat about people blaming the cancellation of SGA on SGU, and in turn refused to give SGU a chance. This no doubt contributed to it's failure. I still think though that is had great potential, it's just a shame we'll never get to see the story play out.
    That's the problem with these proposed new films. The people who'll go to see them are fans of the show(s). So by ignoring the series that are canon, where do they go with them?
    I don't think that canon can be used so much with the SG universe, at least not in the same way as say, Trek.

The new films are supposedly going to follow on from the original film, and will completely overlook the series altogether. Fans of both Sci Fi and Stargate will likely watch these new films out of curiosity, though I fear they're not going to be as successful as the people behind them might like. They've already constructed an entire universe around Stargate, and it's somewhat foolish to wipe that away which they're seemingly going to do. The new films are truly going to need something significant if they wish to fulfill their design.
    Forum Member

I made the same point earlier, if they tried to ignore the whole Stargate world they would lose a big fan base the film would need.
    Forum Member

Yes the emancipation episode was a bit naff, funny how they make fun of her line in the pilot (about her reproductive organs) much later in the series when she says it and says something like "that sounds terrible"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really shouldn't confess this but I actually thought they were the same actors at the beginning lol.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg have you seen that show? I find it so naff. It's like Grey's anatomy with ghosts but fails miserably with the paranormal side. But i swear Michael Shanks gets more gorgeous the older he gets.

With you there - about the only reason I'm watching Saving Hope. Not the plots! Its Ghost Whisperer without the ghosts, or the whispers or the mystery. As you say a sub standard Gray's Anatomy with an added twist. Series 2 is actually even more like Holby City with the 'twist' played right down. In fact Holby has probably had more odd things going on than Saving Hope has these days.

Given how good much of Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary was (though that also got a bit bogged down at times) she has done the most to carry the legacy of Stargate. Though I wonder if that English accent was really how she would have spoken if she had stayed in the UK longer after birth,
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wondered if that one was shown out of sequence because it just didn't seem to fit anywhere.

There's a fair few of the earlier episodes where some of the story 'facts' are tentatively put forward, to be later confirmed or ignored as time goes on as they figure out what works for the show and what doesn't.It's written (and acted) well enough that it doesn't matter as much as it might and half the time you don't spot it until later.

Decently written villains are a also a big part of the appeal and the great thing is that they are *supposed* to be pompously over-dramatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saving Hope does confuse me a bit. It's like it doesn't know what type of show it wants to be, but they went with the supernatural and now they have to stick with it when I feel like they just want to drop it. I actually think it's a good medical show, but every now and again it forgets there suppose to a supernatural element and just chuck bits in.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    SGU was fine. It just wasn't SG1 or Atlantis.

Unfortunately it was always going to be somewhat reliant on SG's in-built fanbase, and after SG1's cancellation, and then Atlantis's treatment subsequently, I think there was plenty of bitterness in general SG fandom that worked against the show. On its own merits, I didn't find it bad. I didn't find it great either, but it was still early days when it was cancelled. There was enough there that I could see it getting better further down the line.

In general terms, I'm saddened that there's no more SG these days. It fell from grace pretty fast and pretty hard thanks to MGM's financial woes.

I know there's talk of Devlin and Emmerich doing more SG movies, but TBH, I'd much rather see a return to TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With you there - about the only reason I'm watching Saving Hope. Not the plots! Its Ghost Whisperer without the ghosts, or the whispers or the mystery. As you say a sub standard Gray's Anatomy with an added twist. Series 2 is actually even more like Holby City with the 'twist' played right down. In fact Holby has probably had more odd things going on than Saving Hope has these days.

Given how good much of Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary was (though that also got a bit bogged down at times) she has done the most to carry the legacy of Stargate. Though I wonder if that English accent was really how she would have spoken if she had stayed in the UK longer after birth,

You have the patience of a saint to still be watching. I ducked out by season 2 and from what i have read the show has done since by season 3, i am glad i did.
    I always wondered if that one was shown out of sequence because it just didn't seem to fit anywhere

That episode is generally hated among fans. Hated that much, that Syfy in US have been known to skip it in reruns. But it didn't air out of order. Although a few of season 1 episodes were aired out of order. There are two lists of season 1 you can watch. The order they were aired or the order they were produced in. Although neither lists really make difference in continuity.

It is a mess of an episode but i let it go as it was the early days of the show. The memorable part of it is Sam Carter is in that awful dress.

Saving Hope does confuse me a bit. It's like it doesn't know what type of show it wants to be, but they went with the supernatural and now they have to stick with it when I feel like they just want to drop it. I actually think it's a good medical show, but every now and again it forgets there suppose to a supernatural element and just chuck bits in.

It doesn't know what it is and therefore i stopped watching. It pains me to see talented actors like Erica Durance and Michael Shanks wasted on such naffness. But they make a hot couple though.

I felt duped into watching it. I read and was told it was a supernatural drama. It is, but not really. It's a medical drama but with a tiny bit of supernatural in it.
    Forum Member
    If he's still using these forums, I was just wondering how the OP was going with this series.

You still watching, DartGuru?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    SGU was fine. It just wasn't SG1 or Atlantis.

Unfortunately it was always going to be somewhat reliant on SG's in-built fanbase, and after SG1's cancellation, and then Atlantis's treatment subsequently, I think there was plenty of bitterness in general SG fandom that worked against the show. On its own merits, I didn't find it bad. I didn't find it great either, but it was still early days when it was cancelled. There was enough there that I could see it getting better further down the line.

I liked the idea of SGU but they screwed it up in almost every possible way, from doing their best to turn it into Dawson's Creek In Space to implausible storylines and plot holes you could fly the Destiny through.

Main problem was, IMO, that you've got a fundamental idea about a bunch of humans being refugees aboard a ship that they can't control as it trundles around the galaxy or galaxies.
    That means you're pretty much restricted to standalone episodes unless you either change the basic premise so they have control of the ship, in which case you have to wonder why they don't just fly it home without incident or you end up with the implausible scenario where a recurring baddie decides to pursue them across ridiculous distances.

Kinda reminded me of how Voyager kept on running into the Kazon.
    I mean, seriously, if Voyager is so fast and, presumably,heading in a straight(ish) line back towards Earth across vast gulfs of space, how come the f**king Kazon continually managed to leapfrog past them so they could pop up over and over again?

SGU seemed to fall into the same trap.

*EDIT*

Oh, and while I'm at it, the positively schizophrenic nature of almost EVERY character wasn't exactly endearing either.
    When you've got an entire cast of characters who reveal themselves to be capable of treachery at some point or another it's hard to sympathise with them and then you just stop caring about them.

The whole thing was constantly a case of "somebody does something slippery and then gets found out".
    Rinse and repeat.
    Over and over.

Like I said; Dawson's Creek In Space.