Options

Sky Sports and ESPN to leave Top Up TV (merged)

Comments

• Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my bt vision ss1 and ss2 and espn are still working ok

But for how much longer?

Look like 12 June 2013 is when Topuptv will starts losing Sky Sports 1 & 2.Going by information from members on here and other forums.No offcal information from Topuptv at least i cant find any online at this time.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    But for how much longer?

Look like 12 June 2013 is when Topuptv will starts losing Sky Sports 1 & 2.Going by information from members on here and other forums.No offcal information from Topuptv at least i cant find any online at this time.

See here 1 July Sky Sports ends, 1 August ESPN ends.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1832893
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    See here 1 July Sky Sports ends, 1 August ESPN ends.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1832893

Thank you very much 1andrew1 so going by the information we now have where does that leave Topuptv?
  • Options
    doug35doug35 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Well it looks as if top up tv is going,by reading the letter, they have stated, they have negotiated a deal with sky and that top up tv will write to subscribers shortly with details of the offer.
    They have said that the hardware will continue to work.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like they want you to subscribe to Sky as they want you to phone them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear Top Up TV users please subscribe to Sky....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Blasted BT. Oh well ESPN by CAM was fun while it lasted but now is no sport as not allowed dish in block and no cable... tant pis.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess with top up tv asking this they must of had big problems with bt, I so hope bt fail now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »
    I guess with top up tv asking this they must of had big problems with bt, I so hope bt fail now.

Me too. Have heard so many say their broadband is rotten anyway...

If this is the end then it means subscribers to sport are worth virtually nothing to them it is only broadband.
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bit of info here
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member

Its probably just Sky offering them a few bob more for access to their customer list than BT have.

I wouldn't read anymore into it than that.

The letter says that you can opt out of the Sky marketing. This option is required before you can sell a customer list.

BT wanted to sell BT Sports themselves and TUTV probably didn't have enough subscribers for Sky Sports 1 and 2 to do it themselves on DTT.

The situation has probably come about because Sky were winning over the must wholesale agreement. TUTV were forced to charge customers enough to cover the amount they had to pay into escrow while Sky challenged the must wholesale pricing formula. This made SS1 and 2 expensive on TUTV (and for that matter expensive for BT - so much so that they are starting their own channel) and so limited its take up making it unviable for TUTV to go it alone on DTT. That and requiring CAM+.

So in blaming BT you probably are blaming the wrong people. TUTV Sport is ceasing because of decisions it made itself but Sky has also fought to make it unviable.

Its a bit sad. I will no longer be able to get a recordable version of SS1, a service I have enjoyed watching over the last couple of years. The live Talktalk service isn't worth the money to me as its currently non-recordable and, due to family life, I time shift almost everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will continue to blame BT. No fan of Sky but the deal was there for the taking with guaranteed income for the period where their Infinity wasn't all over the country.

No they don't want us so that is the last time I will ever deal with them. Simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a transcript I have done:

What do i need to do now?

Top Up TV will continue to broadcast Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 until midnight on Sunday 30th June and ESPN until midnight on Wednesday 31st July. You do not need to contact us to cancel your subscription. Top Up TV will automatically stop your sports subscriptions on these dates and they will not appear on your bill after this time. Your final month subscription charge will be calculated so that you do not pay for any services you have not received. The hardware that you are using to receive these channels will continue to work beyond these dates.

So what's next?

Your ability to enjoy premium sports channels is of utmost importance to us. To ensure you can still access great value premium sports channels we have negotiated some exceptional deals with Sky on your behalf. We will be writing to you shortly with full details of these offers on a range of Sky's fantastic sports and entertainment packages. In the mean time call Sky TV now on 08442 410 457 to find out about these great deals.

If you do not wish to be contacted by us regarding these offers, you can opt out from receiving further correspondence. To do this visit offers.topuptv.com/op-out and complete the online opt out form within 21 days of receipt of this letter (fast and free), or call Top Up TV on 08712 714 271 (national rate call charges apply) Please keep this letter to hand as you will need information included to opt out.

I would like to thank you for your custom and hope that you continue to enjoy top sporting action and great entertainment in the future

Best wishes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i feel this is down to bt they being greedy not let any one sell it they only want to do it and that to me is worse then sky i have always had top up tv now will have to have sky, glad i got such good deal.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Top Up TV will automatically stop your sports subscriptions on these dates and they will not appear on your bill after this time[]/B].
    Best wishes

Interesting. So TUTV will still be sending bills to customers after the sports subscriptions cease. Suggesting the other services continue.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what have Sky done for years with their channels? BT have bought the rights and as a result can sell to who they like.

If Google had bought the rights then you wouldn't find people demanding YouTube TV to appear on a platform for someone else to resell.

If you want sport get BT broadband. You can then get it through your box now and pay as little as £16 a month. That's cheaper than the offering now.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does the first paragrphs say? The bit above the Sky Sports and ESPN logos is missing.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it just says the dates when the channels are closing and on top my details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    If you want sport get BT broadband. You can then get it through your box now and pay as little as £16 a month. That's cheaper than the offering now.

The point I have against BT is that we CANNOT get broadband and nor can large parts of the country.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DougP wrote: »
    The point I have against BT is that we CANNOT get broadband and nor can large parts of the country.....

There are large parts that cant get DTT as well.

You can watch BT Sports on the £16 unlimited broadband package. OK its slower than fibre, but as long as you have at least 400k you can stream it online or watch it on your TV via the viewing card they send you.

I think for £10 you can get BB from BT - caps don't include watching BT Sport
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT have brought the Sports at considerable expense and can do what they like with the channel.

At this moment in time they are not bothered about selling the channel for wholesale, fact is they want Telephone & Broadband customers, as that is where there profits will be coming from.

They are not bothered about the little income they will get from Top up TV, nor it would seem from Virgin or Talk Talk at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That explains why all the other providers want you tied in a contract on a cheap deal ASAP - as they know come sept plenty will want to leave and won't understand the they have to buy out of it.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats not true, actually. The last time I looked, Ofcom stated 71% of the country have an active BB connection. And then there are also initiatives like the rural BB Project. And fibre is now available to over 15m homes in the UK and expanding rapidly. And thats just BT.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is that to do with BT !!!!!
    Other Infrastructure Providers have pulled out from putting kit in - leaving BT as the commercial the only one left ....
    and to counter the issue of lack of commercial drive the Government has intervened and is funding a vast amount
    see https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/transforming-uk-broadband
    is there one near you?? https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=202405357373084260711.0004c0a24c8574593fb79&msa=0&ll=54.033586,-1.801758&spn=7.36024,14.0625

and the government has also taken £150M per year for two or three?? years From the BBC LF income to help with this.

and Yes BT is the UKs largest ISP - but what about the next largest BSkYB - should not they be helping out - or TT or Vodafone.... .
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    BT have bought the rights and as a result can sell to who they like.

Likewise the same goes for Sky and their rights :)