So how do you now fix Man United?

Comments

• Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    United need a proven manager to get them back into the top 4/challenging next season, first and foremost, someone who can attract quality without the lure of CL football.

They have to get that right this time or they're in big trouble.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very easy.
    Pick up the phone & offer Klipperty Klopp the job.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »

SAF was incredible for 20+ years and deserves all the praise in the world for inventing and reinventing squads over that time but the way this squad is being described you would think we should be feeling lucky that we didn't get relegated.

As an aside and by exactly the same token, if you believed some fans opinions on the squad that Ferguson walked into in 86, it was exactly that too. When in reality, it had the England captain, teenage superstar and team and subs comprised entirely of internationals and had won the cup twice in the preceding three years.

Neither assessment seems to resemble the reality to me.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    As an aside and by exactly the same token, if you believed some fans opinions on the squad that Ferguson walked into in 86, it was exactly that too. When in reality, it had the England captain, teenage superstar and team and subs comprised entirely of internationals and had won the cup twice in the preceding three years.

Neither assessment seems to resemble the reality to me.

They hadn't won a title in 20 years and had a bunch of raging drinkers running the place like a working mens club, not least of which were the teenage superstar and the England captain. There were obviously MAJOR issues throughout the club at the time. 20 years without a title is a greater indication of poor squads with poor mentality and ever declining standards than a team that had won the title 2 months prior to the new managers appointment.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big Sam might be available.

No relegation worries and top half finish more likely than not. ;-)
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Big Sam might be available.

No relegation worries and top half finish more likely than not. ;-)

The weird thing is if Arsene leaves Arsenal, and Pardew leaves Newcastle this summer, (would could both happen), then Sam would be the longest serving manager in the Premier League by my reckoning!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,943
    Forum Member
    Fix United? 20 average players out, 20 good ones in!! :D
  • Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Fix United? 20 average players out, 20 good ones in!! :D

You're hilarious and you should post more of these classics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The weird thing is if Arsene leaves Arsenal, and Pardew leaves Newcastle this summer, (would could both happen), then Sam would be the longest serving manager in the Premier League by my reckoning!

I would say that Big Sam has spent more time in the Premier League than Pardew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I would say that Big Sam has spent more time in the Premier League than Pardew.

I meant at his current club, sorry about any confusion.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What would be weird about it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditch the Glazers and spend more towards Man City/PSG's level or at least as much as you can without breaking FFP...
    Forum Member
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Ditch the Glazers and spend more towards Man City/PSG's level or at least as much as you can without breaking FFP...

You cant "ditch" the Glazers. They own the club.

There hasnt been an issue with them making transfer funds available anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be weird about it?

Well he has not exactly (from the general feeling that comes put from their fans) been Mr Popular with all of the West Ham fans due to the style of football that he plays there, and there has been lots of stories linking him without sack plenty of times previously (doesn't mean they are true of course).
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing the average tenancy of a manager is under two years then anyone who remains in situ for a third season goes near the top of the long server list.
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ferguson is going to have another shot at identifying a capable manager: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27123088
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he has not exactly (from the general feeling that comes put from their fans) been Mr Popular with all of the West Ham fans due to the style of football that he plays there, and there has been lots of stories linking him without sack plenty of times previously (doesn't mean they are true of course).

Which doesn't make it weird at all.

Any chairman who makes decisions based on Talksport phone ins from taxi drivers and white van men generally find their clubs are soon relegated. Even you are agreeing that the stories about him being sacked have no substance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cant "ditch" the Glazers. They own the club.

I meant sell their stake...
    There hasnt been an issue with them making transfer funds available anyway.

So are they willing to spend £200-300 million per year over the next 5-10 years then?
  • FireincairoFireincairo Posts: 113
    Forum Member

So are they willing to spend £200-300 million per year over the next 5-10 years then?

you think they need to spend 3billion pound to be a successful team?
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,943
    Forum Member
    It would surely benefit United if the Glazers pulled out. There must be many billionaires and corporations in the Middle East and Asia who can't wait to get their hands on United, although I appreciate that sometimes it's better sticking with the devil you know.
    Forum Member

And how do we sell their stake against their will?

No club needs to spend that sort of money to be successful as we have demonstrated over the last number of years. Im sure your not suggesting that 10 months of Davie Moyes requires £2bn of transfer surgery to put right.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    It would surely benefit United if the Glazers pulled out. There must be many billionaires and corporations in the Middle East and Asia who can't wait to get their hands on United, although I appreciate that sometimes it's better sticking with the devil you know.

I'd be shocked if they pulled out now. Admittedly a big investment to get the right manager and to replace several players is needed but after that it will be back to business as usual with a couple of players per window. I expect they'll go out on a high when there's more money to be made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I meant at his current club, sorry about any confusion.

Fair enough !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how do we sell their stake against their will?

I am not suggesting that the Glazers be forced to sell, rather they should take their money and pull out...
    No club needs to spend that sort of money to be successful as we have demonstrated over the last number of years. Im sure your not suggesting that 10 months of Davie Moyes requires £2bn of transfer surgery to put right.

Well It is more to do with Man U's relative decline compared to Chelsea and Man City since RM bought Chelsea FC, Fergie managed to progress simply because of how good he his, but there are very few like him around they don't come cheap.

Whatever happpens, for the Red Devils to remain a major force in football, they have got to spend much more, that is my view anyway...
  • FireincairoFireincairo Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    its a fine balance between much more and 3 billion