BBC World (Merged)

13»

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When Princess Diana died in 1997 BBC1 carried BBC World News throughout the night,mainly presented by Nik Gowing who made the first announcement of her death (there was no BBC News channel in those days). BBC1 mounted its own programming from 6 a.m. when Martyn Lewis took over and he broadcast continuously for 13 hours.There is no problem in the BBC domestic channels carrying items from BBC World but they must opt-out of any advertising.

It looks like Salford should have gone to a test card and let RedBee sort things out as Im sure they would if Salford had done that!
    Then RedBee could have sorted a proper feed from BBC World News and opted on the adverts.
    Im sure RedBee would have stepped in very quickly if a test card had appeared from Salford and they couldnt speak to anyone there due to them all being evacuated!

Oh and yes when they took the feed in 1997 Im sure it was semi planned enough to opt from the adverts!
  • Options
    RickyBRickyB Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    It looks like Salford should have gone to a test card and let RedBee sort things out as Im sure they would if Salford had done that!
    Then RedBee could have sorted a proper feed from BBC World News and opted on the adverts.
    Im sure RedBee would have stepped in very quickly if a test card had appeared from Salford and they couldnt speak to anyone there due to them all being evacuated!

Oh and yes when they took the feed in 1997 Im sure it was semi planned enough to opt from the adverts!

Test Card? Really?

What they did was fine in the circumstances. Someone at Red Bee should've faded out for the sponsorship but in the confusion they didnt realise/nobody told them to. To be honest even if Red Bee had acted it may still have gone out on the news channel anyway.

I
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like BBC World news much, almost all of it's stories are about Africa or Asia and they carry very little domestic news, unless there's something big happening. When I'm abroad I like to know what's happening back home and BBC World isn't the place to find it, one of the good things they do though is show Final Score on Saturdays during the football season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyB wrote: »
    Test Card? Really?

What they did was fine in the circumstances. Someone at Red Bee should've faded out for the sponsorship but in the confusion they didnt realise/nobody told them to. To be honest even if Red Bee had acted it may still have gone out on the news channel anyway.

I

Whats wrong with the test card, it would have woken everyone up as no one would be expecting that on BBC 1 these days!

I suppose the News channel would have had a lot less viewers although it still shouldnt show adds anyway!
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    There are a few things that suggest that it was done at Salford rather than by RedBee - the key one being that the vision and sound switched separately.

You've got a good point there, guess that was the case.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    I don't like BBC World news much, almost all of it's stories are about Africa or Asia and they carry very little domestic news, unless there's something big happening.
    Sorry to have to pint this out, but it's called BBC World News for a reason! And as the UK is only a very small part of that world, it is not surprising that domestic coverage is sparse (as it is not generally intended for domestic consumption)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Sorry to have to pint this out, but it's called BBC World News for a reason! And as the UK is only a very small part of that world, it is not surprising that domestic coverage is sparse (as it is not generally intended for domestic consumption)

BBC2 carries BBC World at certain times of day with the advertising stripped out and BBC1 carries it overnight until 6 a.m. again without advertising.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    There are a few things that suggest that it was done at Salford rather than by RedBee - the key one being that the vision and sound switched separately.

that the Breakfast clock remained is a pretty good clue as well!

If they had just left the VT and faded to black BBC One would have been ok, RedBee would have taken over. But the News Channel would have needed to be sustained as well.

And then once they were back in the building, they would have to liaise with both channels to get back on air. Putting out World through their own gallery meant they could take over as soon as they were in a position to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that the Breakfast clock remained is a pretty good clue as well!

If they had just left the VT and faded to black BBC One would have been ok, RedBee would have taken over. But the News Channel would have needed to be sustained as well.

And then once they were back in the building, they would have to liaise with both channels to get back on air. Putting out World through their own gallery meant they could take over as soon as they were in a position to do so.

Ah that explains that then, so fading to black would have caused RedBee to step in on BBC 1 only and the News channel would have been left off air, meaning someone would have had to be told down in NBH in London to sort the news channel out separately!
    I bet BBC World News didnt even know to start with that they were going out on BBC 1 and BBC News (domestic channel)!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anybody likes BBC world news you can watch it on Streamgo to your hearts content !