Options

Listening to police radio

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone here listen to into the frequencies of the emergency services? Can it still be done?! Are we even at a point we can listen online?

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Not done it for years, but I regularly used to listen in, even had a special receiver for getting them, along with other emergency and aircraft communications.

Twas exciting!
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Can get a police scanner app on the iphone though think its only american emergency services that you can listen to
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to, back when they used FM. Not for 30 odd years though & I don't think you ever got both sides of the convo either.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used too, still got my scanner, but not used it since the police went digital, I even remember some of frequencies (how sad is that:().
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sad at all. I still remember some of the peeks & pokes for the spectrum I typed them that often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I used too, still got my scanner, but not used it since the police went digital, I even remember some of frequencies (how sad is that:().

Gone digital? Does that mean we can no longer listen in?
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Isn't it all encrypted now?

I remember when parents bought me and my brother a pair of walkie-talkies. You could occasionally faintly hear conversations from somewhere.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sad at all. I still remember some of the peeks & pokes for the spectrum I typed them that often.
    What's that about then?

(I know what peeks and pokes are, but how does that relate to receiving police radio?:confused:)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to as a kid (on FM) - although I remember it disappeared from FM, I'm sure, when I was about 14, which was 1987/88.

Used to listen when I was bored. But usually there wasn't anything exciting. Mostly "Alpha 3 go to such and such an address, reports of a domestic incident, occupants shouting" or "Go to (other address) neighbours complaining about a bonfire" (or barking dog)

Never heard a murder or anything dramatic - although I did hear of a fight one night in a night club in town.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its gone digital now, so you can't eavesdrop................ unless you're with a certain newspaper group that can bug phones................!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    What's that about then?

(I know what peeks and pokes are, but how does that relate to receiving police radio?:confused:)

I was replying to the poster above me who said it they thought it sad they could still remember frequencies so as a comparison I used another example which involved long numbers in an attempt to show the poster that it's not sad to remember numbers at all.

That ok?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Isn't it all encrypted now?

I remember when parents bought me and my brother a pair of walkie-talkies. You could occasionally faintly hear conversations from somewhere.
    Me and my sister had walkie-talkies, too, it was really exciting to get a sudden burst of police chatter. We never understood what they were saying, mind you.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 20 years ago my brother had toy walkie talkies and we would quite often listen to taxi drivers talking on their radios. Very few taxi companies still use this system and it's all digital now.

I can also remember listening to other peoples conversations on our cordless telephone.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to listen to the colonial rozzers, then try here http://www.broadcastify.com/
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    You can listen to the American ones and I think they disable it in times of panic because I think specific channels were offline during the Boston bombing manhunt in case the brothers were listening in but in the UK I think everything is encrypted.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Its gone digital now, so you can't eavesdrop................ unless you're with a certain newspaper group that can bug phones................!!!

I doubt that phoning somebody's voicemail and attempting to use "1234" or "0000" as a PIN would work with police radio. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it legal to listen in to police radio?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »

When you could pick it up (and you only ever heard the responding officer, never the CAD) it was legal to listen. If memory serves, it becomes illegal if you acted upon what you heard. So listening in and rushing to your batcave and setting off to crime fight would be illegal.

Also, and I may be wrong, willing to concede to better knowledge, it was illegal to listen to it to evade detection too as this was considered acting on what they heard. However, it was unlikely that you are going to go for that one when you have them for a heftier offence.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »

As has been said you cannot anymore and if you could it is an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006, though even if you could I would imagine they would only take action if you acted on the messages you heard
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    My Nan used to say she picked up police radio on her hearing aid!
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    My Nan used to say she picked up police radio on her hearing aid!

I once picked up a helicopter radio on my hi-if system. It flew directly over my house as I was listening to the radio and I could clearly hear the pilot talking and then it went back to what I was listening to.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want to? :confused:
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    When you could pick it up (and you only ever heard the responding officer, never the CAD) it was legal to listen. If memory serves, it becomes illegal if you acted upon what you heard. So listening in and rushing to your batcave and setting off to crime fight would be illegal.

That may have been the case in your force area, but in mine, West Midlands (YM), talk-through was almost permanently switched on so you could hear both sides of the conversation, with the notable exception of the CMPG (or their predecessors) where you would hear the pips.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may have been the case in your force area, but in mine, West Midlands (YM), talk-through was almost permanently switched on so you could hear both sides of the conversation, with the notable exception of the CMPG (or their predecessors) where you would hear the pips.

Yes, it was the same here as well. You could hear the lot.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that would have been the exception. My understanding is that talk-through was generally never transmitted to public access frequencies. Going from memory, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Sussex, Thames Valley and the Met only transmitted one side of the conversation.