Options

What is so bad about Deana calling her gang soldiers?

Comments

• Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 3,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If someone has relatives or friends serving in the Army they could find it offensive

Would they also find it offensive to have Egg and Solders for breakfast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    If someone has relatives or friends serving in the Army they could find it offensive

No they wouldn't, that's ridiculous....Parents often refer to their toddlers as little soldiers, is that wrong as well..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they feel we should be fighting people like Deana in Afghanistan... So beckys bum of a family got upset... That's how stupid they are...go back to your drama degree you waste of spaces!

Also my brother served in Afghanistan and he was smiling at the soldier comment... Not offended at all so why are idiots being offended on their behalf?
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Olive2 wrote: »
    Would they also find it offensive to have Egg and Solders for breakfast.

Talking about egg and soldiers, yummy.:)
  • Options
    fuzzybintfuzzybint Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing offensive at all. I call my family's toast soldiers on a morning but it doesn't mean I have disregard for our heroes overseas. Just nonsense.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member

Then they need to get a bloody grip.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not bad in taste or owt, I just cringe when she says it personally :o
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could say the same thing about every film TV show or game that has been made.

Was Sly Stallone offence to Vietnam vets when he made Rambo (Well First Blood) what about John Wayne and all the war films he was in.

Is Dad's Army -It Ain't Half Hot Mum or Allo Allo offensive to the armed forces

How many games based on war are realised each year they are the most popular selling games getting 100's if not 1000's of people queuing up at midnight just to get their hands on a copy.

I seem to recall that at the time it was first broadcast that It Ain't Alf Hot Mum was "seen" as racially offensive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It creates division, separation, aggression, and it implies that the others are enemies.

Not nice at all.

Excellent post Roses. Well said.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall that at the time it was first broadcast that It Ain't Alf Hot Mum was "seen" as racially offensive

True enough as Allo Allo could be seen as offensive to The French that's why I said offensive to the armed forces
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiqueen wrote: »
    My husband served 22 years in the forces in trouble spots all over the world and believe me this is the type of humour they like. It bonds them.

Thank you for posting that. It should certainly put an end to all the desperate scraping the barrel nonsense that's going on at the moment.

Some of my family have been in the forces and I know exactly what they would think of Becky's sister's pathetic attempt to score a petty point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? I have friends over in Afghanistan, I don't find it offensive and I know they wouldn't either. It's a bit of a giggle when there is nothing else to do in the house. It's a private joke and people are taking it was to seriously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True enough as Allo Allo could be seen as offensive to The French that's why I said offensive to the armed forces

It think it was seen as more offensive to the Resistance rather than the French nation as a whole whereas it was really just a mickey take of a serious drama on the same topic, Secret Army.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    Thank you for posting that. It should certainly put an end to all the desperate scraping the barrel nonsense that's going on at the moment.

Some of my family have been in the forces and I know exactly what they would think of Becky's sister's pathetic attempt to score a petty point.

I agree My Granddad was a Japanese POW he would have loved Deana and would have found her comments funny

He would have disliked Becky's sister for such a cheap way to score points
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll say this again because I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with people apparently having a go at me..

I personally DIDN'T find it offensive. I was just putting forward a possibile reason as to why some people might POSSIBLY find it offensive
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall have to check in with the PC brigade next time I call my Grandson a "Brave little soldier" when he doesn't make a fuss when he hurts himself!
  • Options
    Nocturnal MumNocturnal Mum Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it offensive and Becky's sister was just saying that to cause a rumpus. I don't like it though- it feels as though Deana is subtly putting herself as head of the group.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie B wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why Becky's sister and Conor's girlfriend tried to make out Deana was the devil for calling her friends soldiers? I'm really confused as to why it was seen as so offensive to Becky's sister. :confused:

Nothing it's quite amusing and apt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol what an utter load of tosh!! That's as stupid as the comments made by idiot Becky's equally offensive sister!! I can assure as a wife of a soldier I couldn't care less if anyone refers to themselves as soldier, in the same way I don't protest outside the toy shops because of the toy soldiers...oh gee that's offensive to our hard working men and women!! :yawn:
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    She was grasping at straws to find a reason to nominate. While I find the 'soldiers' thing rather cringy, it's quite another thing to call it offensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becky's sister was just using the 'soldiers' language as a stick with which to beat Deana. She was being disingenuous by implying she found it offensive. It was a transparent & convenient excuse to nominate her. Nothing more & nothing less. ;)
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why the people who do find it offensive needed Becky's sister to remind them to be offended. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It creates division, separation, aggression, and it implies that the others are enemies.

Not nice at all.
    and they havent chosen the divide ? and theyre nice ? nah
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    MeganG wrote: »
    Becky's sister was just using the 'soldiers' language as a stick with which to beat Deana. She was being disingenuous by implying she found it offensive. It was a transparent & convenient excuse to nominate her. Nothing more & nothing less. ;)

Becky's sister is obviously a massive gossip, just like Becky. She wanted to give the Insiders as much 'intel' on the enemy as she could in the given time.

Compare with Deana's friend, who basically said that Conor and Ashleigh were not giving Deana a chance. She could have used Conor's rant, unless she was told not to, or she could have revealed that Conor had said that Deana's looks are 'disgusting' and Ashleigh agreed with him.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shows that the outsiders aren't doing anything bad in the house if that's all they can come up with as a cause to nominate.

Calling themselves soldiers is no worse than saying you're going to "rally the troops" which is also often used when you want to boost morale (obviously an alien concept to Conor the thug as he didn't even know what morale is). The deeply unpleasant gang of insider bullies have done everything they can to belittle and ostracize Deana, Adam and Luke A so this is their way of coping and trying to put a little bit of light heartedness onto things.

Cannot wait for the insiders' arrogance to come back to bite them (please note, insiders' families, I am not advocating cannibalism or mocking dogs)