Options

50th Anniversary 'not a fanfest'

saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
Forum Member
✭✭
...so sayeth The Moff

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a467663/doctor-who-steven-moffat-on-50th-dont-turn-it-into-a-fanfest.html

Good I say but I can think of a few sections of the community that are already sharpening their pitchforks. :D

Comments

• Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One opinion among many, but I think The Five Doctors was a dog's breakfast and don't think an anniversary should be done like that again.

I like the idea of its being largely forward-looking, but do hope there's a reasonable amount of fan service in there as well. :)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a build up and it would be difficult to tick all the boxes in one Anniversary episode.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for Moffatt; I don't even like it when the Master returns. Though a fan gift like dedicating BBC4 to Who for the evening would be nice, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I think The Five Doctors was a dog's breakfast
    Yes, but IMO it was huge fun to watch when it was new!
    It's easy to pick it apart with hindsight, but I absolutely loved it at the time.
    :)
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. You can pay tribute to the past without shoving it in everyone's face.

I can't wait to see how many people will rage over this news...
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit depressed now.:(

Luckily, I don't believe a word Moffat says, so I will continue to hope for the inclusion of my favourites in the 50th.

I won't sharpen my pitchfork till then. :D
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Good, I won't care if no one returns I just want a good story, something I know Moffat is more than capable of. Returns won't make the episode more enjoyable for me, it will just make fans even more annoying, and an increase of vs threads (everytime I think of the mayhem Tennant's return would bring I shudder.)

We all know that no matter what happens, there will be complaints, people will do anything but enjoy it. Hopefully I have learned to stop coming in here and clicking Doctor Who related hashtags by then, but I sincerely doubt it, I am a sucker for punishment.
  • Options
    C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Moffat has the right mentality. Look forward, not back. This show is about change. It sickesn me that so many fans would much rather live in the past with their want of Susan and The Rani. To buggery with them.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine the "Who is still the best Doctor?" polls after an episode called 'The Eleven Doctors.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit depressed now.:(

Luckily, I don't believe a word Moffat says, so I will continue to hope for the inclusion of my favourites in the 50th.

I won't sharpen my pitchfork till then. :D

Get ye back in that farmhouse and hold onto your horses Granny!
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Moffat has the right mentality. Look forward, not back. This show is about change. It sickesn me that so many fans would much rather live in the past with their want of Susan and The Rani. To buggery with them.

It's the 50th Anniversary. An Anniversary celebration, by definition, is a celebration of the previous year/s.

An Anniversary IS about the past. Otherwise why bother?

If my wife and I are both lucky enough to reach our 50th wedding anniversary I'm not going to say "we won't bother celebrating the past. I'm not interested in the past." She'd f***king beat me with a stick.

Yes, it should also look to the future, but it's main purpose is to celebrate those 50 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    It's the 50th Anniversary. An Anniversary celebration, by definition, is a celebration of the previous year/s.

An Anniversary IS about the past. Otherwise why bother?

If my wife and I are both lucky enough to reach our 50th wedding anniversary I'm not going to say "we won't bother celebrating the past. I'm not interested in the past." She'd f***king beat me with a stick.

Yes, it should also look to the future, but it's main purpose is to celebrate those 50 years.

And what better way than to celebrate and pay tribute to all those years of brilliant stories and forward thinking and great imagination than with a greatly imaginative forward thinking brilliant story?

Please no 80 minute intergalactic This is Your Life

'Hi Susan!'

'Hi Rani'

'Hi Jack'

'Hi Harriet Jones'

'Hi Chanto'

'Hi Mel'

'Hi Ace

'Hi Brigadier'

'Hi third puppet from the left in the back of this one shot in The Talons....'

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

*ROLL CREDITS*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And an anniversary looks forward and back to the years gone and the years to come.

The way some fans describe it they seem to think this episode should be a memorial service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what better way than to celebrate and pay tribute to all those years of brilliant stories and forward thinking and great imagination than with a greatly imaginative forward thinking brilliant story?

'Hi Susan!'

'Hi Rani'

'Hi Jack'

'Hi Harriet Jones'

'Hi Chanto'

'Hi Mel'

'Hi Ace

'Hi Brigadier'

'Hi third puppet from the left in the back of this one shot in The Talons....'

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

*ROLL CREDITS*

And if it's 3D, that would be an 80-minute Dimensions in Time. :D
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmmm. Aren't you the one who refuses to watch any classic Doctor Who. Of course to you there isn't even an anniversary is there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm. Aren't you the one who refuses to watch any classic Doctor Who. Of course to you there isn't even an anniversary is there.

Excuse me? I own and have enjoyed every classic series release, official and some not so official, as my bookcase would testify.

You have me mistaken for someone else sir.

However you might have misconstrued comments I made some time ago where I said the 'majority' of those watching now dont care tuppence about Classic Who. And I stand by that. I am not one of them though.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it's important to get a balance between celebrating the past and looking to the future.

It's got to be the toughest episode of Doctor Who ever to write!
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if it's 3D, that would be an 80-minute Dimensions in Time. :D
    Madam, what year ith thith?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madam, what year ith thith?

Two thousand and thirty-three!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you're overreacting. He's only said it won't be 'fan-fest'.

Carrying on with the 50th wedding anniversary comparison you mentioned, it would be the equivalent of deciding not to go on a day trip to the place where you first met, or trying to meet up with friends you lost touch with umpteen years ago, or visiting the same old restaurant, watching the same movie etc. i.e. trying to recreate the past. It would undoubtedly feel 'nice' but it would probably not live up to expectations, as what you're really celebrating is a time when everything felt fresh and exciting.

Instead, you would spend the day doing something entirely new, in an entirely new location, adding only little touches of nostalgia along the way - e.g. playing your "song" in the car. That way, a year onward would feel like the 1st Anniversary of the 50th, rather than just the 51st Anniversary.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Dimensions in Time was set in 2013 - does it count as a multi-Doctor story this year? ; )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Since Dimensions in Time was set in 2013 - does it count as a multi-Doctor story this year? ; )

Only fair. :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Carrying on with the 50th wedding anniversary comparison you mentioned, it would be the equivalent of deciding not to go on a day trip to the place where you first met, or trying to meet up with friends you lost touch with umpteen years ago, or visiting the same old restaurant, watching the same movie etc. i.e. trying to recreate the past. It would undoubtedly feel 'nice' but it would probably not live up to expectations, as what you're really celebrating is a time when everything felt fresh and exciting.

Instead, you would spend the day doing something entirely new, in an entirely new location, adding only little touches of nostalgia along the way - e.g. playing your "song" in the car. That way, a year onward would feel like the 1st Anniversary of the 50th, rather than just the 51st Anniversary.

That's sweet. :) You're a bit of a romantic, JDE. :D
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a crime if they didnt bring back any of the past Doctor's (they need to bring back 8 at least!) but I'm not sure if their gonna. At the moment I'm just having to close my eyes to all the evidence that there wont be, remember series 5, 6.1 and the trailer for 7.2 and just keep repeating to myself "I believe in Moffatt, I believe in Moffatt"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lovely stuff.