Idle chitchat at work

peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
Forum Member
✭✭
Can you be bothered with it? Wouldn't you rather just get on with your job? Should employees be allowed to waste time talking about non-work-related matters?

I'm currently on a temp assignment as a receptionist, and making small talk with everyone who passes the desk seems to be part of the job description. I'd rather sit quietly or read a book during the quiet periods to be honest. All this chatting and smiling isn't good for my psyche.

Comments

• HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust me, working on your own, all day every day isn't what it's cracked up to be. I get soooo bored, and the days really drag.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    receptionist

Therefore, you have to give people a reception, you can't ignore them, the clue is in your job title.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're going for the wrong placements, peopleschmeople. Perhaps something that might be more suitable for your misanthropy- bioterrorism, maybe, or advertising.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I think you're going for the wrong placements, peopleschmeople. Perhaps something that might be more suitable for your misanthropy- bioterrorism, maybe, or advertising.

I'd rule out being a vet to be on the safe side. I know animals can't talk, but they have feelings. :(
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it personally. It's the difference between staying sane and going loopy where I work.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Therefore, you have to give people a reception, you can't ignore them, the clue is in your job title.

I assumed the unwanted chit chat was with the other receptionists/co-workers. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the same way OP (thought I'm not a receptionist), it seems my constant nihilism is not suited to work places :(
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there`s always room for a laugh and a chat, if you`re working a shitty job that`s usually what makes it worthwhile.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you be bothered with it? Wouldn't you rather just get on with your job? Should employees be allowed to waste time talking about non-work-related matters?

I'm currently on a temp assignment as a receptionist, and making small talk with everyone who passes the desk seems to be part of the job description. I'd rather sit quietly or read a book during the quiet periods to be honest. All this chatting and smiling isn't good for my psyche.

You would rather they pay you for sitting quietly and reading a book? Yes I'm sure you would!

As someone I used to work with used to say...'work would be brilliant if it wasn't for all the work'!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's annoying, like when I go to get a drink from the kitchen and have to exchange pleasantries with three people along the way. I'm thirsty, but I'm still busy! I find that if I keep moving I can just ask how they are, say "great" and move on, but if I stop walking it's much more awkward to get away.

Most of the time I don't mind though. It's only a couple of minutes out of my day, any decent employer knows that giving workers some downtime each day makes them more productive than keeping their nose to the grindstone constantly.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    My place is very good in that if I want to go in and just get on with my work all day, I can, and if I want to have a chat, I can do that whenever I want too as most people there are cool.

There is one woman who never shuts the **** up though. Proper annoying.
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    You would rather they pay you for sitting quietly and reading a book? Yes I'm sure you would!

As someone I used to work with used to say...'work would be brilliant if it wasn't for all the work'!

In between calls, I meant. There are a few admin tasks but they don't take too long to complete and in the main it's sitting waiting for the phone to ring. I've offered to take on more work, but so far it hasn't been forthcoming.

There are few visitors and no other receptionists, but the co-workers pass my desk as they come and go and when making trips to the toilet. I'd rather just carry on reading or whatever, but feel under pressure to start and maintain a conversation, which isn't my wont, as I don't really like talking.
    Forum Member
    I'd rather just carry on reading or whatever, but feel under pressure to start and maintain a conversation, which isn't my wont, as I don't really like talking.

Like I said, you're in a people job and you don't want to engage with people. You could be very happy as a security guard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In between calls, I meant. There are a few admin tasks but they don't take too long to complete and in the main it's sitting waiting for the phone to ring. I've offered to take on more work, but so far it hasn't been forthcoming.

There are few visitors and no other receptionists, but the co-workers pass my desk as they come and go and when making trips to the toilet. I'd rather just carry on reading or whatever, but feel under pressure to start and maintain a conversation, which isn't my wont, as I don't really like talking.

I would say that you're in the wrong job and that I have never met a receptionist who isn't busy with something!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    Trust me, working on your own, all day every day isn't what it's cracked up to be. I get soooo bored, and the days really drag.
    I know exactly what you mean, I have had to work in a different area today, and the person who sits near me often left me on my own, which made me miss being sat in my usual area, even if I did have to endure all the women gossiping about their diet plans! :(
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean, I have had to work in a different area today, and the person who sits near me often left me on my own, which made me miss being sat in my usual area, even if I did have to endure all the women gossiping about their diet plans! :(

Sounds fun :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that you're in the wrong job and that I have never met a receptionist who isn't busy with something!

It's a temp job through an agency, and you have to take what you can get in these difficult times. I would never apply for a permanent job as a receptionist.

On your second point, because I'm a temp covering for someone on sick leave, there are aspects of the job they haven't bothered to show me, as it's only a short-term assignment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't talk to your colleagues how do you get to know them enough to give a crap about their working day and therefore enough to work as a team?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    It's a temp job through an agency, and you have to take what you can get in these difficult times. I would never apply for a permanent job as a receptionist.

On your second point, because I'm a temp covering for someone on sick leave, there are aspects of the job they haven't bothered to show me, as it's only a short-term assignment.
    I would never, ever want to work as a receptionist for the very reason that I would eventually go cookie constantly answering the phone in the same old boring scripted way every day like for example, "Hello [company name], [my name] speaking". :eek:
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much everyone where I work really works hard but now and again we need a bit of comic relief. I've been known to play the odd silly little prank here and there, nothing stupid but it keeps us all smiling and - I know it's a cliche - like a little family so to speak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't talk to your colleagues how do you get to know them enough to give a crap about their working day and therefore enough to work as a team?

There's no 'I' in 'Team'!

But 5 in 'Individual Brilliance'!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have been speaking to them, but there's this constant flow of people back and forward and I feel under pressure to lift my head, smile and converse with everyone, when my natural inclination is to keep my head down and do something productive. Phew, that was a long sentence (a bit like what my current assignment feels like).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no 'I' in 'Team'!

But 5 in 'Individual Brilliance'!

:D

Brilliant :cool:

Stealing that :D
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    some people on here sound like sheldon cooper