My 13 year old's hair cut without my permission

Comments

• mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts with a haircut and next it will be drugs and god knows what else.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deal with it and move on
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Personally it wouldn't bother me, his hair has been cut by a professional, it would have been done at some point anyway and has saved you some money :) I'd have been angry if his friend had cut it and it was a mess but I'm assuming this lady has done a good job.

This reminds me of something similar-ish from when I was younger. We went on holiday and left our pet rabbit with a neighbour, anyway when we came back our neighbour said her friend is a vet and cut our rabbits claws as they were getting a bit long, my mum went mad saying she had no right to do that, but I never understood what the issue was.
    Not exactly the same, but its the same principle, I think:)

:D:D After all the outrage & squabbling on here, this proper made me giggle. Did the rabbit give consent for its claws to be cut?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I think you have every right to be miffed and don't think you sound "controlling" at all. I would be too. Who cares if his hair will grow back? The fact is, she should have made a quick phone all to you - or got your son to do it - and just ask you.
    And I'd also be miffed that she bloody charged him for it!
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    OP, I think you have every right to be miffed and don't think you sound "controlling" at all. I would be too. Who cares if his hair will grow back? The fact is, she should have made a quick phone all to you - or got your son to do it - and just ask you.

He's 13 not 3!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    a 13 year old goes out and he gets a sensible haircut all by himself, What a shock that most of been!!!

I know 13 year old's who smoke and get pissed every weekend. :o I actually mentioned it to one of the girls mother and she just said she can't control her. :o

I think it's nice that you care for your son, but at 13 you should be allowing him to experiment with hair, cloths etc. anything else though then come down on him like a ton of bricks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    He's 13 not 3!

And...?
    Sensible haircut or not, the friend's mother should have run this by the OP first, or at least got the OP's son to run it by his mum, in my opinion.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And...?
    The friend's mother should have run this by the OP first, or at least got the OP's son to run it by his mum, in my opinion.

The lad is 13. He's had his haircut not had a tattoo or his nose pierced, perspective required.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member

But it's not like there's a legal age of consent for a haircut though? :p What if he'd walked into a hairdressers and asked for a cut without parental supervision, would they refuse until they prove their parents' consent? :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    abuse?
    seriously?

Indeed. That "abuse" claim is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on these pages. A professional did something that she was trained for, she was paid for an and neither the parent or the child are unhappy with the the end result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    The lad is 13. He's had his haircut not had a tattoo or his nose pierced, perspective required.
    Mel94 wrote: »
    But it's not like there's a legal age of consent for a haircut though? :p What if he'd walked into a hairdressers and asked for a cut without parental supervision, would they refuse until they prove their parents' consent? :D

I do see where you are both coming from but
    it's more the fact that she took money off him for a service that she provided without the boy's parents knowing anything about it.
    I think that's out of order.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do see where you are both coming from but
    it's more the fact that she took money off him for a service that she provided without the boy's parents knowing anything about it.
    I think that's out of order.

I asked earlier but no response, OP visibly missing, surprise surprise. Should a 13 year old boy ask mums permission to spend his money?
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    So if he'd gone to town to meet friends and whilst there got a hair cut would you expect the salon to ring you first?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I asked earlier but no response, OP visibly missing, surprise surprise. Should a 13 year old boy ask mums permission to spend his money?
    Not necessarily, no. But should the friend's mother have asked permission to perform this impromptu haircut (bearing in mind that, according to the OP, this wasn't the reason her son was at his friend's house in the first place) and take money off of him for it? Yes I believe she should have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily, no. But should the friend's mother have asked permission to perform this impromptu haircut (bearing in mind that, according to the OP, this wasn't the reason her son was at his friend's house in the first place) and take money off of him for it? Yes I believe she should have.

Neither you nor I know what was discussed, agreed nor negotiated do we ? So assumptions are being made. Encouraged by the OP. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither you nor I know what was discussed, agreed nor negotiated do we ? So assumptions are being made. Encouraged by the OP. :)
    Of course we don't since we weren't there. But that logic could be applied to pretty much every thread in this Advice section which would render it pretty much defunct if we are to assume that the OPs are deliberately not telling the whole story.
    As it stands in this thread, the OP asked if they are being unreasonable to be miffed about what happened, I answered that I do not think she is, based on what she's said. What's the problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course we don't since we weren't there. But that logic could be applied to pretty much every thread in this Advice section.
    The OP asked if they are being unreasonable, I answered that I do not think she is, based on what she's said. What's the problem?

The missing OP. :) as usual in advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The missing OP. :) as usual in advice.
    So what? Are you saying you think this is a wind up?
    The OP only started the thread yesterday. I've started threads before and not returned to them until a couple of days or so later.
    In fact, the OP was last active when she posted this thread so it's not like she's been posting elsewhere.
    Neither you nor I know why she hasn't returned yet; there could be many reasons for that being the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? Are you saying you think this is a wind up?
    The OP only started the thread yesterday. I've started threads before and not returned to them until a couple of days or so later.
    In fact, the OP was last active when she posted this thread so it's not like she's been posting elsewhere.
    Neither you nor I know why she hasn't returned yet; there are many reasons for that being the case.

Back off. Many questions have been raised , rightly . We will await the OP s answers..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back off. Many questions have been raised , rightly . We will await the OP s answers..
    Back off?
    You're asking me questions and I'm replying to you. Calm down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back off?
    You're asking me questions and I'm replying to you. Calm down.

It is just not that interesting so I will leave you to it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just not that interesting so I will leave you to it..
    Then I am at a loss as to why you are quizzing me on my opinions about it and drawing attention to the fact that the OP hasn't returned since yesterday.

But anyway, it's no problem. Hopefully the OP will come back soon and answer your questions for you.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 13-year old girl could go and get the pill from her GP without the GP needing to consult the parent.

Is the idea of a 13 year old boy getting a (sensible) haircut without his mums permission really that bad?

If it is then I've missed something. As a teenaged lad, I always used to go to the barbers on my own. I genuinely don't understand the concern of the OP and others over this issue.

As for the issue of the woman charging the boy, well so what? Hairdressing is her job, someone asked her to cut his hair, she charged for it. I don't know how much he paid for it, but let's assume for a second it was a fiver. If the woman owned a shop selling sweets and magazines instead and this boy wanted five quids worth of stuff, would people expect her to give it to him for free just because he's her son's friend?
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    maxsi wrote: »
    I consider it abuse... Admittedly only a bit but still I would be furious if it was my son, especially if she took money?

It's not abuse at all. She is a hairdresser. She did a job and was paid. Maybe the OPs son told her he had permission. He is old enough to make a decision like this and as long as its not too outrageous it's nothing to get wound up about. He is growing up and starting to do things on his own, they all have to sometime.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO a 13-year-old boy should be able to go and get his hair cut by himself without any parental involvement. It seems that he made a sensible choice of where to get it done and should be commended.
This discussion has been closed.