Flash Drive Problem

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a flash drive which windows can't format.
When i click properties on it it comes up zero used and zero free space, yet it is a 250gb drive. Any advice please? Operating system is Windows XP

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    A 250GB flash drive would not be inexpensive, if you got it cheap then maybe its a dud.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    What is make and model of flash drive? How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? If online give us the link.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really mean 250Gigabytes not 250Megabytes?
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    What is make and model of flash drive? How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? If online give us the link.[/QUOTI

I have a desktop pc running Windows 7 Professional, when i tried it on that it worked perfectly, I added music which it played just fine.
    Now I've added back to the laptop running XP, the same thing happens, says it needs formatting. I'm beginning to think i need a fresh re-install of XP.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    What is make and model of flash drive? How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? If online give us the link.
    stairway wrote: »

I have a desktop pc running Windows 7 Professional, when i tried it on that it worked perfectly, I added music which it played just fine.
    Now I've added back to the laptop running XP, the same thing happens, says it needs formatting. I'm beginning to think i need a fresh re-install of XP.

That doesn't answer the question asked/quoted but have a look here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/xp-recognizes-but-does-not-give-access-to-usb/b7b0ffd4-bc7a-4e91-9998-11ff854c249f?auth=1
    and
    http://www.teachexcel.com/winxp/winxp-help.php?i=10961
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a pen drive, it's probably formatted as exFAT, which the old XP may not be able to read without a driver. I'm guessing it's an external HD - You can get a cheap laptop for less than the cost of a (genuine) 256GB pen drive.

When 32GB flash drives first came out, I got one cheap off fleabay. Was actually a hacked 2GB drive that would overwrite data once you exceeded 2GB. I complained to the Chinese seller, and amazingly got a PayPal refund.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good program for testing USB memory sticks is h2testw.

It will show if you have a fake.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, why won't you tell us the make and model?
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stairway wrote: »
    I have a flash drive ... yet it is a 250gb drive

Just occurred to me - HDDs are usually whole numbers eg 500GB etc, whereas flash drives seem to go in multiples of 2 eg 16GB, 32GB, 256GB etc. Unless the '250' was a typo, my money's on this being a external HDD, although that doesn't solve the OP's problemo.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Just occurred to me - HDDs are usually whole numbers eg 500GB etc, whereas flash drives seem to go in multiples of 2 eg 16GB, 32GB, 256GB etc. Unless the '250' was a typo, my money's on this being a external HDD, although that doesn't solve the OP's problemo.

both are based on the same idea just you have the techies using 2^10 and the sales droids just using 1000 and those small 24's soon add up when used in modern sizes