Litter will get worse!

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today I've had a meeting with my local council regarding the high level of litter in my area, which they acknowledge.

They have told me that with further budget cuts, litter is going to get worse.

I get the impression from the council here that they do the bare minimum they have to, and nothing more.

Some of you will have mixed views on your local council's response to street cleansing. You may live in a largely litter free area, or a complete tip like Wakefield.

Do you think litter will get worse with budget cuts or do you think it won't affect your district?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    My area is pretty tidy, but what the councils need to do is get more people on community service to clear up the crap.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod the council, what people need to do is drop less shit.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    People are at fault, not the council. Put your rubbish in a bin for goodness sake, it's not difficult.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Britain, but I have to say I am saddened at how much litter there is.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't they be getting low level prisoners or community service people collecting litter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    This subject again Mark?.

Councils are under increasing pressure with budget cuts but still having to maintain essential services. Street cleaning, while important, isn't regarded as as much of an essential service as say child protection and other aspects of social care and things like that. So street cleaning and bin collections are often amongst the first things to suffer cuts, along with other services like libraries, swimming pools and things like that.

I would suggest you move somewhere else as you are constantly moaning about Wakefield, but I am afraid you will be disappointed to find it is much the same all over the country. We established that in your last thread on the very same subject just last week.

I look forward to next week's thread on this very same subject. :)
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

Pretty much.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was something on the news earlier about a council starting to do three week collections.
    Forum Member
    Oh is this another groundhog day thread?
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Today I've had a meeting with my local council regarding the high level of litter in my area, which they acknowledge.

They have told me that with further budget cuts, litter is going to get worse.

I get the impression from the council here that they do the bare minimum they have to, and nothing more.

Some of you will have mixed views on your local council's response to street cleansing. You may live in a largely litter free area, or a complete tip like Wakefield.

Do you think litter will get worse with budget cuts or do you think it won't affect your district?

Someone from your council said this to you.

I doubt is somehow.

What council and what was their position in the council?:)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't talk about it as if it's a natural phenomena. There'd be no litter if people took their rubbish home with them. I even find it at my golf club which beggars belief. I can only assume some people have no idea what they are doing.
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Please don't talk about it as if it's a natural phenomena. There'd be no litter if people took their rubbish home with them. I even find it at my golf club which beggars belief. I can only assume some people have no idea what they are doing.
    Exactly.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

... and stop whining, and applaud instead, when people get fined for doing so.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Litter is getting a real problem everywhere. Doesn't really matter where you live. However some towns are dreadful. Roadsides too.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone from your council said this to you.

I doubt is somehow.

What council and what was their position in the council?:)

Wakefield, Head of Streetscene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wakefield, Head of Streetscene.

Interesting.

Sounds like Wakefield Council and Streetscene need to get their act together a bit.

Have you considered taking this further?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This subject again Mark?.

Councils are under increasing pressure with budget cuts but still having to maintain essential services. Street cleaning, while important, isn't regarded as as much of an essential service as say child protection and other aspects of social care and things like that. So street cleaning and bin collections are often amongst the first things to suffer cuts, along with other services like libraries, swimming pools and things like that.

I would suggest you move somewhere else as you are constantly moaning about Wakefield, but I am afraid you will be disappointed to find it is much the same all over the country. We established that in your last thread on the very same subject just last week.

I look forward to next week's thread on this very same subject. :)

We are now seriously considering moving.

It is NOT the same all over the country, as pointed out by other forum members. However, you may live in a part of Wakefield district that's nice and clean. How about driving around Eastmoor and seeing what we put up with? WDH publish a quarterly magazine for its tenants, and yesterday's issue showed that the 2nd highlighted problem is litter, with 56% of their tenants seeing it as a problem.

So forgive me for having an issue with it. Your area might be lovely, however, my enclave of district is far from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Sounds like Wakefield Council and Streetscene need to get their act together a bit.

Have you considered taking this further?

I agree totally, but where can I take it to?

They seem against enforcement, which personally I think would relieve the problem. Fine people and they'll stop dropping it.

They do the bare minimum they need to legally do, but refuse to accept that the same levels of litter aren't the same nationwide.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree totally, but where can I take it to?

They seem against enforcement, which personally I think would relieve the problem. Fine people and they'll stop dropping it.

They do the bare minimum they need to legally do, but refuse to accept that the same levels of litter aren't the same nationwide.

Eric Pickles - Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government?
    The Secretary of State is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Main areas of responsibility include:

supporting local government
    communities and neighbourhoods
    local economic growth
    housing
    planning and building
    fire

From various articles he seems to like sticking his oar in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Litter is one of my bugbears.

That and dog poop.

Where I live the council has enforced strict enforcement laws against those dropping dog poop (not the dogs)

It has worked a little but not as much as it should.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why some can't look for a bin after they've finished what they've eaten outside. There's no hardship in going looking for a bin if you're in the town centre.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would suggest you move somewhere else as you are constantly moaning about Wakefield, but I am afraid you will be disappointed to find it is much the same all over the country.

I can assure you this area, one of the safest Conservative seats in the country, is an absolute rubbish tip where dog mess & general litter is shocking.

So it's not just Wakefield :)
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member

agreed!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why councils don't enforce fines for people who litter.

They could make a load of money by fining and getting people to pick up litter, rather than paying someone else to pick it up.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have mentioned before, don't drop litter.