Doctor Who - 23rd April

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    This was tons better than last week's disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Wasn't as good as previous episodes, but I reckon it still beats anything else on tv at the moment! Also very intregued by the bad wolf comments. I read elsewhere a rumour that badwolf.org has recently been registered, could this be a forthcoming whosite in the same vein as Mickeys site and the UNIT site?
    On the unit site, does anyone get to see anything after the "missile launched!!!" screen or is it supposed to end there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote:
    I find it sad that TV has become so segmented that when people are faced with a programme which appeals across age and gender groups, rather than embrace it as a show with universal appeal, they get confused and ask "who is this aimed at?".

There is no confusion. I'm not sure which show you are referring to which appeals across age and gender groups, but it's not the new 'Who'. If it was such a show, then there would be no discussion. We are having this discussion because some posters here are of the opinion that 'Who' is too childish, whereas others feel that it is clever and holds enough interest for us adults. If it actually had universal appeal then we'd be talking about other aspects.

'Buffy' was written for teenagers. Full stop. Now, that doesn't stop people other than teenagers enjoying it, personally I loved it and think that it had some of the best television I've ever seen, but television programmes have always had a demographic. That's the nature of entertainment and always has been. There is always a target audience.
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In tonight's episode we find that Britain's launch codes are in the hands of the U.N.

Does anybody else think this a little odd?

Jacqui claimed to know what life with the doctor was like. How could she possibly know that?

The Doctor once again addressed Mickey as Rickey. And despite a matey-matey ending between the two of them, Mickey's website makes it clear that he still doesn't trust the Doctor.

Perhaps there's more to tonight's episode than meets the eye.
    Forum Member
    Loony Ted wrote:
    I read elsewhere a rumour that badwolf.org has recently been registered, could this be a forthcoming whosite in the same vein as Mickeys site and the UNIT site?
    On the unit site, does anyone get to see anything after the "missile launched!!!" screen or is it supposed to end there?

It appears the BBC themselves have registered badwolf.org, so we'll see where that leads, if anywhere.

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=badwolf.org&type=domain

And that is all I get on the UNIT website too!
    msmorley wrote:
    We're convinced the lefthand card is night view of Lycabettus Hill in Athens ... Lycabettus is variously translated as (domain | realm | lair | rock | hill) of the wolves. My father-in-law who lives on said hill has offered "domain" as being the most accurate of these.

Now THAT is obscure. Interesting. But Obscure :-)
    megaresp wrote:
    In tonight's episode we find that Britain's launch codes are in the hands of the U.N.

Does anybody else think this a little odd?

Jacqui claimed to know what life with the doctor was like. How could she possibly know that?

The Doctor once again addressed Mickey as Rickey. And despite a matey-matey ending between the two of them, Mickey's website makes it clear that he still doesn't trust the Doctor.

The U.N. having our launch codes is VERY odd, but was 'necessary' for the rest of the 'plot' to make sense. Otherwise the Aliens could have launched an attack straight away. I'm sure someone could have written something a little more convincing, but as the saying goes 'it's good enough for telly.'!

What was it Jacqui said again?

And 'The Doctor' did call him Mickey at the end, didn't he? Maybe he has a modicum of respect for him now.
    Mickey wrote:
    You see, he's off, making another decision for us, all "I'm the big bad wolf and it's way past your bedtime." Well, I don't think so. Not this time.
    Forum Member
    And 'The Doctor' did call him Mickey at the end, didn't he? Maybe he has a modicum of respect for him now.

Well he did offer to have him join him & Rose! I almost felt let down that he declined. He's actually becoming an interesting character! (Never thought I'd say that!)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooo i dont know Fathers for Justice done the same thing managed to run amok in some of the top areas!!hehe without being shot!
    Thought the Aliens were great but i didnt like the Actors playing the "human" side,that 45 second thing was Very clever.
    Forum Member
    New Doctor Who David Tennant has said that he wants to wear a kilt for the role.

The Scottish actor told The Mirror, "I'd love to be the first Time Lord to wear a kilt."

Tennant revealed that, despite hiding his Scottish accent for his role in Casanova, he won't be forced to do the same for Doctor Who.

I can see it now:--

Rose "But you sound like you're from Scotland"
    The Doctor "Lots of planets have a Scotland"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm - more kids' TV. Don't think we can argue with that after tonight's episode. I mean, vinegar ?!?

(Still love the "You kiss that?" though :D )

So it's kids' stuff. So what? I quite like My Parents are Aliens :o

Besides, can't see next week being so juvenile...
    Forum Member
    Re: Kilt
    I'm sure no-one will mind the new look, so long as he has the legs to carry it off! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    re kilt

I think we have seen enough of his legs in casanova to confirm that he does have the legs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As ever.. really enjoyed it, but....

it did seem a bit tedious at times - I know the series has been criticised for rushing and being too pacey, but this episode did seem to crawl at points..... and somehow all the tension that built up at the climax of the previous episode just evaporated - to be honest, I think I was looking forward to something BIG... a bit less Downing Street and Rose's mum whining and a bit more alien invasion and apocalypse - "World War 3" in fact!

good ending though... nice missile strike and Rose pragmatically determined to survive... didn't like Rose succumbing to the Doctor's bully tactics though.... she's normally more strong-willed than that - poignant ending I thought - "10 seconds..." and the depressing long camera shot as the TARDIS doesn't re-materialize and Rose's mum walks dejectedly away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    djgk wrote:
    *wonders where the discussion of 'bad wolf' will go now, now that it was cleaned off the TARDIS...*
    I think the Slitheen are meant to be the new 'recurring' monsters - so maybe they take it into the future with them. Sorry if this has already been posted by someone, but I am trying to read through four pages of posts and am halfway through page one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeek. A Doctor with stalkers. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    I think the Slitheen are meant to be the new 'recurring' monsters - so maybe they take it into the future with them. Sorry if this has already been posted by someone, but I am trying to read through four pages of posts and am halfway through page one.

Not forgetting Mickey's 'big bad wolf' reference that has appeared on his website tonight.
    Forum Member
    broonale wrote:
    Now that was funny... Sure its been done before somewhere though.
    Casanova's opening line....

Fantastic! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else think that the Doctor seemed rather too puzzled - twice - that the Nuclear codes were in UN hands?

My reading was that he had just realised something important - beyond the immediate planning he was up to. As if this Earth's history didn't quite fit the time lines he already knew of.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:

I reeeaaalllyyy hope that isn't true.

They have to be some of the worst suits in Doctor Who's history. I could make better reptillian make-up myself with a pot of latex, some oats and a bottle of green food dye.

The "Berty Basset" monster from years ago was more realistic and frightening.
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote:
    after disliking him intently at the start of the series I think the character of Mickey has vastly improved.
    I agree - Mickey may be a wimp but he's not as 'naff' as he was before.
    Forum Member
    I've got to agree with Bystander.
    This episode of Doctor Who was crap.
    It was for me anyway.
    Aww, come on Alrightmate - I thought this episode redeemed the first part slightly (even if it was only because there was less farting in it.)

I think after the magnificence of The Unquiet Dead, anything would have a hard time following it. The producers have to accomodate the new audience as well, otherwise we wouldn't have a recommission and a series two to look forward to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:

He has a part to play. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take a trip in the TARDIS at some point. Could be as far away as the next series though.
    Forum Member
    Clue or Slip of the Tongue

On Doctor Who Confidential, CE said "The doctor feels he is the last Time Lord"

Could this mean the "someone who was dead" is Ep 11 is another Time Lord?
    Oh yes - did anyone doubt it? :D
    Forum Member
    Or then again RTD might just be playing with us... :D
    I think he's been playing with us all along.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:

There's something pretty important to the story arc going on there, I'm sure of it. I expect bits and pieces will be revealed everytime he makes an appearance.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched it off tape, and saw it as yet another very good episode. I can't believe all the stick it's been getting here!

The 45 second thing was very clever, and quite funny :D

Strange that there were no obvious clues to the wider story, other than the kid cleaning the tag off the TARDIS. I might just have to have a closer look later on!

Is it just me, or did anyone elese find the ending sad? :(