Doctor Who Vs Star Wars - Itv Gets More Bizarre!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neily N wrote:
    I mean who wants to see slags like Abi Titmuss and Rebbeca Loos cop off and have sex?

ROFL. I'd pay good money to see that.

Abi is awesome, okay, she has no real talent. Well... Apart from her looks.
  • LemonadeLemonade Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This shows how really low ITV Goes. DW will win it for me! :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    OK, I can't say I'm a fan of ITV and I do absolutely love Doctor Who. I'm also an avid Star Wars fan so have all the DVDs.

However, lets do some roleplaying here!
    If you were the programme scheduler for ITV and you owned the current Terrestrial rights for four of the five available Star Wars movies - can you not say that you wouldn't be at least tempted to play a Star Wars marathon around the time where all the hype surrounds the final episode of the Saga?

Fair enough they could've chosen a better time-slot so as to offer an alternative to Dr Who and definitely not cut into it with the news, but I would say that they might as well cash in on the whole marketing ploy that LucasFilm is currently undergoing.

I will be doing the whole DVD marathon thing around seeing ROTS too!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote:
    Well I believe last time PM was shown on itv it got 3.8M viewers, next to 7.5M for the last ep of who.

And I can't see PM being a big draw anyroad, most have a negative opinion of it these days. ITV have thrown in the towel imo.

I can't work out what the initials PM stand for.

What is PM?
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phantom Menace, I think.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    Yes I can see a continuing theme

Better programmes than the crap other broadcasters show
    You have to love the fact that the ITV viewer has an inbuilt sense of the ironic :cool: :eek:
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, lets do some roleplaying here!
    If you were the programme scheduler for ITV and you owned the current Terrestrial rights for four of the five available Star Wars movies - can you not say that you wouldn't be at least tempted to play a Star Wars marathon around the time where all the hype surrounds the final episode of the Saga?

I think that, if that really was their plan, they should have shown AOTC as a 'lead in' to the release of ROTS, shouldn't they?

K
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out what the initials PM stand for.

What is PM?

Phantom Menace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    I reckon ITV'll schedule a 7pm Saturday episode of Coronation Street to compete with the next series of Doctor Who.

If they're desperate enough to resort to that, we'll finally know that ITV is creatively dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote:
    I think that, if that really was their plan, they should have shown AOTC as a 'lead in' to the release of ROTS, shouldn't they?

Yes, I would agree but I'm guessing Sky still own the broadcast rights for ATOC or it's not old enough for terrestrial TV yet... Speculation of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    aidious wrote:
    LOL Apart from Doctor Who, what has the BBC got that is any good?

The best show on TV at the moment is Coronation Street - that's why it is the most watched show on Telly. Eastenders is abysmal, yet it is still the best thing (bar Dr Who) the corporation has to offer us.

I watch ITV far more than the BBC at the moment and even Dr Who is not un-touchable. When up against the last in the series of Ant and Decs Saturday Takeaway, DR Who was THRASHED - a fact conspicuous by its absence from the Digital Spy ratings round-up archive.

I think that you'll find that on the overnights, the last Ant and Dec got 0.3 million more viewers than Dr Who (hardly thrashed) and when timeshifting was taken into account, Dr Who got a comfortable half a million more viewers than Ant and Dec. So far Dr Who has won the battle for its time slot every single week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the success of Doctor Who has proven that Saturday nights don't need bland low brow entertainment shows, but well written, intriguing and fun drama. Things which MAKE the viewer want to watch again on their own merit. For instance, since the launch I've seen very very little promotion of DW, yet it consistently does very well in the ratings. ITV Saturday night programmes get a ton of promotion and yet...nothing? Thats because cheap game shows and the like are missable, unimportant and ultimately unfulfilling, whereas a good drama is non of the above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    megaresp wrote:
    The Phantom Menace?

Would that be Sadam's Weapons of Mass Destruction? Tony Blair's terrorists that are both different and worse than all other terrorists in the history of Earth? David Blunkett (the man who wouldn't die)?

What is this 'Menace' you speak of, Earthman?

I think you've got it there mate! I agree.

P.s. Thank you all for voting a liar back in, well done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.s. Thank you all for voting a liar back in, well done.

And the choice was?

Anti-union, wishy-washy, opportunist Lib Dems
    or
    Anti-union, freemarket pushing, racist, fearmongering, tax-break bribing Conservatives

Better the devil you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    And the choice was?

or
    Anti-union, freemarket pushing, racist, fearmongering, tax-break bribing Conservatives

Can't really argue with that Szlater although spare me a pitious thought, I'm stuck with Galloway for the next four years...if they let him back out of the States that is...as for ITV and PM...well...it's the desperate in pursuit of the desperately dull isn't it? No DW fan is going to miss a new episode for the worst of the Star Wars movies...or even the best of them come to that, I go with a previous poster who said ITV should've gone with a Rom-Com or something to give viewers variety but then...that would mean they gave a toss about their viewers which at 50p + usual charge per vote on CLI last night, they clearly don't... :eek:
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    And the choice was?

or

Szlater, it's very obvious to anyone who's read your posts that you're very left-wing in your political views, which you're completely entitled to be. But to brand the Conservatives as racist is pretty unfair. Would you care to enlighten us as to exactly what you're basing that comment on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote:
    Szlater, it's very obvious to anyone who's read your posts that you're very left-wing in your political views, which you're completely entitled to be. But to brand the Conservatives as racist is pretty unfair. Would you care to enlighten us as to exactly what you're basing that comment on?
    It takes more than a politician who wants to be prime minister telling you that his party isn't racist to erase the hundreds of years of racism that that party has condoned if not perpetuated...headline news: Conservatives elect black MP at 2005 election...please...I'm hoping they'll change but when you look at the corpulent white shadow cabinet then I'm probably hoping in vain.... :( :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    And here was me thinking I'd wandered into a Star Wars/Doctor Who debate :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    And here was me thinking I'd wandered into a Star Wars/Doctor Who debate :rolleyes:
    Well it kind of was...then...well...it wasn't my fault honest guvnor! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a place for bitching and its called Politics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binternet wrote:
    There is a place for bitching and its called Politics.
    I mean look what happened to Senator Paladine for a start :cool: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lanark wrote:
    I think that you'll find that on the overnights, the last Ant and Dec got 0.3 million more viewers than Dr Who (hardly thrashed) and when timeshifting was taken into account, Dr Who got a comfortable half a million more viewers than Ant and Dec. So far Dr Who has won the battle for its time slot every single week.

A & D got only 0.1 million moer in the overnights - but the rest is true.

And I agree that as we have a new film on release it's the right time to show PM (or would be if it wasn't shown a few months ago) - but my initial problem stands - why opposite Doctor Who, and why sliced in 2 by the news....?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    jimboc wrote:
    my initial problem stands - why opposite Doctor Who, and why sliced in 2 by the news....?
    Shall I state the obvious again?

Because ITV haven't got a bleedin' clue about good programming and haven't done for a few years now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    Shall I state the obvious again?

Because ITV haven't got a bleedin' clue about good programming and haven't done for a few years now.
    Even on the drama front they are a network that has commissioned a series chronologically about the 60s that has lasted over a decade in "Heartbeat"...it doesn't really smack of good judgement but it is sweet how desperately they're trawling the pop charts of 1969 to keep it going :cool: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny - or is it sad - that I watch a lot more of ITV3 than I do ITV1 now. It's testament to how good ITV can (or could) be.

I'm sure it's not just the memory cheating - the channel has produced some cracking stuff over the years.

Just not a lot lately...