Abba

Comments

• tonywilsontonywilson Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I don't think we'll get any more unreleased ABBA material while the boys are still alive, after that who knows? I think their contract with Universal states that they get the final say on what gets released, after they die I don't know who the authority will pass to.

And yes I do realise that is an awful thing to say.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    theshadow wrote: »
    Here Here!!!
    Come on.....why should we accept they wont release it??!!
    The Gemini version is crap. I agree totally here....the loyal fans are begging for this song.....they should release it to please the fans. Put it on The Visitors deluxe.

Erm, I think you mean "hear, hear"?

Whilst I am with you here, it is a good song and a fairly good recording, but the ABBA version is a little jarring between the verses and the chorus (the main reason Bjorn and Benny dislike it so much) and the saxaphone in the final mix does sound a little, well, "out of control".

And it is true that Michael Tretow (ABBA's sound engineer) remastered Just Like That ready for release. But that was done with the entire ABBA catalogue in 1992/3 for the Gold projects anyway.

It was Benny and Bjorn that constantly vetoed the release of Just Like That on the various Gold and Gold-related projects for Polygram, but they did concede and allow so much unreleased material to actually surface - including 2 minutes of Just Like That (the chorus) - so to their mind they have already "given something back" to "please the fans".

They've used the original melody of the verses on a different musical project of theirs now, so that it itself will probably stop them from issuing the full ABBA-versed version even more than before.

There does seem to be a divided camp on the song. Bjorn and Benny have said they don't like it, with Benny citing the fact that "it's too fast" amongst his disapprovement and Bjorn has gone on record saying that he's "not happy with the lyrics". However Michael Tretow has said that he is "always nagging at them to release it" and Agnetha who takes the lead vocal on the song has said that it's one of her "big favourites".

Who knows? It may see the light of day one day, but seeing as The Visitors Deluxe is the next planned ABBA release and Bjorn has just answered a question in a September official ABBA publication that specifically mentions Just Like That and the fact that they DON'T want to release this, or anything else from the archives, it's safe to say that it WON'T be happening any time soon.

To quash any Beatles Vs ABBA thread too, he also states in that same interview that "he does not agree" that Benny and Bjorn have "matched the achievements of Lennon and McCartney".

He goes on to say that... "It is not false modesty. I would never compare us to...The Beatles, that is rediculous!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    benny and bjorn are probably pops second best songwriters (behind lennon/mccartney), they composed classic pop records that are among the best ever written. will they ever overtake the beatles?...no. beatles music is still selling, many fans are updating their collections and the beatles were a world wide phenomenon, abba werent.
    Mainly because the Beatles were not competing with many other pop groups when they were churning out some good songs.
    I love both the Beatles and Abba songs. No other song writers have come close to them in my estimation. Maybe Freddie Mercury would have but we lost him far too soon.
  • peacelilypeacelily Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Abba to be great fun musically. The beeatles were a different type of band totally for me.
  • Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    Before this year i only knew Gold. Now i have all their material after buying "The Albums" collection. Their catalog is fantastic!! There are so many songs that are amazing which were not released as singles. The Piper, If It Wasn't For Their Nights, Angel Eyes etc... I even discovered singles which i had never heard of before. The Day Before You Came, Eagle, Hasta Manana...

Their first few album are my least favourite as there is a lot of singing by the boys. Thank goodness the girls did the most of singing for the majority of their career.
  • Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'GOLD' - THE LATEST UK ALBUM CHART.....

In the latest Album Chart, 'Gold' by ABBA, is at No.90, & gains the
    Chart Record for the Most Top 100 Weeks - 634 Weeks. It has taken
    it from W/E 3rd October 1992, (No.1 Entry), to W/E 1st October 2011,
    to achieve it - exactly 19 Years.

THE UK ALBUMS WITH THE MOST TOP 100 WEEKS

(Their Top 75 Weeks in Brackets)

(To W/E 1st October 2011)

1) Gold - ABBA - 634 Top 100 Weeks (444 Weeks)
    2) Greatest Hits (One) - Queen - 633 Top 100 Weeks (414 Weeks)
    3) Legend - Bob Marley & The Wailers - 583 Top 100 Weeks (366 Weeks)
    4) Rumours - Fleetwood Mac - 513 Top 100 Weeks (371 Weeks)
    5) Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf - 506 Top 100 Weeks (440 Weeks)

So, that's 3 UK Album Chart Records, that 'Gold' now holds:,

(As well as several of the Records, for an Album, by
    a non British Isles, (UK + Ireland), & non USA Act)

1) Most Top 40 Weeks for a Group Album - 215 Weeks

2) Most Top 75 Weeks - for any Album - 444 Weeks

3) Most Top 100 Weeks - for any Album - 634 Weeks

At one stage, it held the Album Record for
    the 'Longest Gap Between A Return to No.1'
    - 1999 to 2008. But, The Rolling Stones took
    that one from ABBA, when 'Exile On Main Street',
    returned to No.1, in 2010. That was originally
    No.1 in 1972. The 2010 Edition was a Deluxe -
    with an extra CD - 10 New Tracks added. However,
    The OCC, & UK Chart Books, regard it as the 1972
    Album, going back to No.1.

THE TOP 3 ALBUMS - LONGEST GAP BETWEEN RETURNS TO No.1

A) Exile On Main Street - Rolling Stones (June 1972 to May 2010 = 37 Years & 11 Months)

C) Gold - ABBA (October 1992 to April 1999 = 6 Years & 6 Months)

@ = From the 2nd Week, of the 2 Weeks at No.1, that
    it began on W/E 29th May 1999 = W/E 5th June 1999
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ABBA is great! I fell in love with their music not long after I'd heard it. Some of their songs really get you going, for example:

1. Lay All Your Love On Me.

2. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

3. Voulez-Vous

Just a few of their stonking tracks.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Mama Mia was there big breakthrough song in the UK and Ozzie...
    and that song kind of sums them up...
    high energy pop with syths in there, pianos
    percussion.... quite a powerful upbeat sound
    ... that conquered the world !
    Well done Benny, Bjorn and the girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfzfe8f9NI&ob=av3e

• sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Before this year i only knew Gold. Now i have all their material after buying "The Albums" collection. Their catalog is fantastic!! There are so many songs that are amazing which were not released as singles. The Piper, If It Wasn't For Their Nights, Angel Eyes etc... I even discovered singles which i had never heard of before. The Day Before You Came, Eagle, Hasta Manana...

Re: "The Piper", I completely LOVE this song!
    Forum Member
    They were way out ahead of the pack back in the 70s .. each new LP just knocked everybody out the songs were so brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWI2bTckbgc

Paul Mac was a pothead by the mid 70s and I bet he thought... wow where are they getting these incredible songs from ?

Wonder if Paul or John ever spoke about Abba back then in an interview ? cant think of anything .

Does this track confirm them as a synth and drum machine band ?
    ....Swedens answer to the Human League ?
    Forum Member
    Think of them as a sexy Girl Group... a duo ....

Bjorn and Benny are just back up guys
    ( who wants to look at a fat guy with a beard ? )
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Think of them as a sexy Girl Group... a duo ....

Bjorn and Benny are just back up guys
    ( who wants to look at a fat guy with a beard ? )

Stupid thing to say.

Bjorn and Benny, along with Stig Anderson, were the brains behind Abba and were just as important to the band and their success as the girls were. Without each other there wouldn't have been a band. Agnetha and Anni-Frid certainly never wrote and produced the hits.
    Forum Member
    I love the song .... Another Town another train.....

my theory is that Benny had nothing to do with that song... its all
    Bjorn's work.

Two for the price of one...... feel that could be the same too

You re right , the girls had nothing to do with the songs,
    though in a previous career as a solo performer, Agnetha did write
    some of her songs.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timbo, Bjorn is actually 3 years younger than Paul Macca (25 April 1945 to Paul's 18 June 1942).

I love Abba and (don't laugh!) have even legally changed my name to Agnetha. That woman is GOD as far as I am concerned.

To quote Bette Midler:
    'Did you ever know that you're my hero?
    And everything I wish I could be'.
    Forum Member
    Quote .....Lamaestra;
    Timbo, Bjorn is actually 3 years younger than Paul Macca (25 April 1945 to Paul's 18 June 1942).
    end quote

Liess than 3 years age diff..... I'd call that being a close contemporary !
    It still begs the question... where was Bjorn and Benny's writing genius in the 1960s ?
    you d think they would be up there with the Beatles and Stones... but no
    As I said, they were late developers and only got into their stride in the 1970s .... but wow ! it was worth the wait.

As for Agnetha.... you r'e not in the same class babe !
    Forum Member
    [quote=Lamaestra;

I love Abba and (don't laugh!) have even legally changed my name to Agnetha. That woman is GOD as far as I am concerned.
    [/quote]

Should nt that be GODDESS ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should nt that be GODDESS ?

Point taken, our Tim.

And how do you know I'm not in the same league, our kid, as we have never met?

I will forgive you for that remark as you have such great musical taste.

Incidentally, someone mentioned Stig Anderson earlier. I saw his son in law Tomas Ledin live earlier this year. Bloody awesome and a nice guy too!
    Forum Member
    Lamaestra wrote: »

And how do you know I'm not in the same league, our kid, as we have never met?

It would be easy to post a photo
    and link it here.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To quote Bette Midler:
    'Did you ever know that you're my hero?
    And everything I wish I could be'.

seriously? i take it your a woman?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am a woman, at least I was last time I looked!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be easy to post a photo
    and link it here.

Not for me it isn't. I have absolutely no idea how to do those things and I have a degree!

I'm also a very private person.
    Forum Member
    Agnetha slide show

http://www.mediafire.com/?zhwjlwzunod

(all my own work )

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me it isn't. I have absolutely no idea how to do those things and I have a degree!

I'm also a very private person.

much like the `real` agnetha.
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    much like the `real` agnetha.

..........maybe she is the real Agnetha !!!!!
    Forum Member
    I have absolutely no idea how to do those things and I have a degree!

That figures.... they re handing out degrees like confetti these days !