Options

Spitting Image

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
From the recent doc on TV we learn that the latex models were made in London and then had to be shipped up to Brummie where the show was taped.... it was pretty frantic

Law is a big beefie guy who is also apparently so far on the left that he thinks Karl Marks was a wimp..... forever in a hat with a communist red star on the front.

It was a topical show that required the guys to put in a ton of work each week to keep the show on the road.

But did it have to be so gross and so full of toilet humour ?
The idea was great... fab models of real celebs and politicians interacting on a set in various sketches..
it was pure theatre and visually great.

Lloyd of course is an extreme lefty who enjoyed getting his left anti Thatcher bias accross during his career with the BBC and progs such as ... Not the Nine O Clock News.

Pity this latex model .. spoof... comedy idea could nt be taken up again... but this time with a less extreme left political crew.

A show that would be more aimed at the celebrity culture we have ruling Britain and America right now.

Sketches with Simon Cowell and Amanda H...
Eamon Holmes... Corrie Street spoofs....
theres so much out there they could have a go at it could make a great ... hour long show for Friday or Saturday nights................

Lets do it !

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I would love Spitting Image to come back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think that it was of it's time. It only really worked properly durirng the Thatcher/Reagan years, when there was so much division in the country and at the time it was quite politically hard hitting. After Thatcher's demise, it was pretty tame, concentrated on celebs and fizzled out.

Ten years back they tried a cartoon type version of the show called 2DTV and that flopped, as do most satirical "impressionist" shows these days. Maybe there just isn't the market for this anymore.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    From the recent doc on TV we learn that the latex models were made in London and then had to be shipped up to Brummie where the show was taped.... it was pretty frantic
    <snip>
    Would I be right in thinking you were too young to fully understand or appreciate the show's aims when it was originally shown? I don't mean to patronise by that, but it wasn't an intrinsically 'gross' show "...so full of toilet humour". It had its moments, sure, because its very nature was take topical events and people and put an exagerated spin on them to make its points. If that point was best made by gross-out or toiler humour, so be it, but I'd say that was the exception, rather than the rule.

As for it being left leaning, it was satire and the country was deeply entrenched in the politics of the right at the time. What else could it be?
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Their puppet of Heseltine when he was defence minister was brilliant.

It wasn't as if they were particularly favourable to the likes of Kinnock, Hatterley, David Livingston...etc either. They made them all look ridiculous and at times disgusting.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But never in a million years did they consider John Major having an affair, they thought he just liked peas!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But if it came back as a series... not trying to be political, or topical or up to date
    more focused on celeb tv ... obviously Simon Copwel would
    feature large...

but also David Dickinson of the antiques show, a spoof on
    Downton Abbey....

morning tv with Susanna Reid looming large

a whole new show without the toilet humour without the huge emphasis on politics and hitting on Margaret Thatcher.

A series of sketches and spoofs that could be made at leisure and then put on for a thirteen week run of hour long programmes

shows that would be entertaining and visually pleasing

The latex models that fluck and law designed and made...
    were such a brilliant idea.... surely someone should take it up again
    without all the left wing angst and filth
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if it came back as a series... not trying to be political, or topical or up to date
    more focused on celeb tv ... obviously Simon Copwel would
    feature large...

but also David Dickinson of the antiques show, a spoof on
    Downton Abbey....

morning tv with Susanna Reid looming large

a whole new show without the toilet humour without the huge emphasis on politics and hitting on Margaret Thatcher.

A series of sketches and spoofs that could be made at leisure and then put on for a thirteen week run of hour long programmes

shows that would be entertaining and visually pleasing

The latex models that fluck and law designed and made...
    were such a brilliant idea.... surely someone should take it up again
    without all the left wing angst and filth
    So basically a puppet version of Dead Ringers then?
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it hit target it was spectacularly funny but the hits were few and far between. It was shown on a Sunday night about 10pm and I used to look forward to it all day, then come broadcast, I was lucky if I laughed once. It nearly always disappointed me but I'd tune in full of hope every week.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have so much fun with

David Cameron & IBS
    Kate Middletons morning sickness
    Katie Prices Bunny
    Katie Hopkins

Royals,Celebrities, Politicians are all there to be taken the pi$$ out of. Bring back Spitting Image :p
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What we don't need is another show about celebs (although just about every celebrity at the time was mocked in Spitting Image). Do we need a proper political satire show? Yes, we do. Spitting Image was at its best when it attacked politicians. That was the whole point of the show. It went down hill when it was more about celebrity culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell dressed in arab costume and his hareem of lovelies...

Amanda H..... Danni M..... Cherryl T

(maybe not Sharon O )
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more focused on celeb tv ..

Please God no, I would not watch that.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Sorry - I agree to disagree with some of you.
    I absolutely LOVED Spitting Image in the 80's. I agree it was very political - especially the Maggie Thatcher/John Major sketches. But it also focussed on the Royal Family - the Queen and Queen Mother in particular! Celebrities such as Hugh Grant, Sly Stallone and pop stars were mimicked all the time.

There are SOOO MANY characters they could mimic nearly 30 years on!

The Prime Minister(s), The Royal Family (the next generation), and celebs such as Joey Esssex, Gino DeCampo, Eamon & Ruth, Philip Schofield, Adrian Chiles....

The list is endless! Someone bring it back!! Or will the PC brigade step in??
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member

Law is a big beefie guy who is also apparently so far on the left that he thinks Karl Marks was a wimp..... forever in a hat with a communist red star on the front.

It was a topical show that required the guys to put in a ton of work each week to keep the show on the road.

But did it have to be so gross and so full of toilet humour ?
    The idea was great... fab models of real celebs and politicians interacting on a set in various sketches..
    it was pure theatre and visually great.

Lloyd of course is an extreme lefty who enjoyed getting his left anti Thatcher bias accross during his career with the BBC and progs such as ... Not the Nine O Clock News.

Pity this latex model .. spoof... comedy idea could nt be taken up again... but this time with a less extreme left political crew.

A show that would be more aimed at the celebrity culture we have ruling Britain and America right now.

Sketches with Simon Cowell and Amanda H...
    Eamon Holmes... Corrie Street spoofs....
    theres so much out there they could have a go at it could make a great ... hour long show for Friday or Saturday nights................

Lets do it !

This was of its time and I was lucky enough to be the right age to watch the first time around and the two main television programmes discussed in that era at school were Spitting Image and Blackadder. The quality of Spitting Image was very high and I do not just mean Peter Fluck, Roger Law and John Lloyd but the huge list of vocal contributors from Harry Enfield, Kate Robbins, Hugh Dennis, John Sessions and Alastair MacGowan to name just a few. I am not sure if this level of creative quality is around in the current era. I certainly do not think Jon Culshaw could not it all on his own as good as he is. They have tried similar shows since and they have not worked. There was just something very special about Spitting Image. I am all for repeating on one of the Freeview channels but I do think a new Spitting Image would work.

Also love her or hate her, the show worked because of the perception of Margaret Thatcher as the dominant Iron Lady and the rest of the cabinet as submissive minions with the exception of Norman Tebbit the crazed biker. MT was a larger than life character and the only politician who would hold this level of interest is Boris but there is not the same interest in David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg.

Best

M
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    This show would not be made because ITV no longer does any comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFrvr7EB66g

Yes, that is Sting singing different words to his song.
    This was the greatest ever Spitting Image moment.

Spitting Image had a stellar cast - not just the voice actors as already mentioned, but the writing staff. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (Red Dwarf) Ian Hislop and Nick Newman, Guy Jenkin and Andy Hamilton (Outnumbered) , David Renwick and Andrew Marshall (2.4 Children, One foot in the grave etc), Punt and Dennis, as well as John O' Farrell

Alternatively - you work for ITV and are pitching this moronic idea to DS forumites to gauge the response.

Do you seriously think that ITV would allow Simon Cowell to be made fun of in any way shape or form.
    You are more like to see a comedy routine on North Korean television making fun of Kim Jong Un, than seeing anything on ITV lampooning their favourite son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They must have learned a lot of skills getting that show together
    making basically life size rubber puppets with motor driven eyes.

You d think this concept and idea would still be going today in
    TV .... once created you can endlessly re use the puppets,
    its a win win situation.

I suppose now ... with wall to wall soaps... reality TV...
    and Simon Cowell......
    creative programmes are being edged out .
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    This show would not be made because ITV no longer does any comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFrvr7EB66g

Yes, that is Sting singing different words to his song.
    This was the greatest ever Spitting Image moment.

Spitting Image had a stellar cast - not just the voice actors as already mentioned, but the writing staff. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (Red Dwarf) Ian Hislop and Nick Newman, Guy Jenkin and Andy Hamilton (Outnumbered) , David Renwick and Andrew Marshall (2.4 Children, One foot in the grave etc), Punt and Dennis, as well as John O' Farrell

Alternatively - you work for ITV and are pitching this moronic idea to DS forumites to gauge the response.

Do you seriously think that ITV would allow Simon Cowell to be made fun of in any way shape or form.
    You are more like to see a comedy routine on North Korean television making fun of Kim Jong Un, than seeing anything on ITV lampooning their favourite son.

That plus the cost! I doubt an episode of Spitting Image came cheap!

Today's ITV would rather stick on a repeat at 10pm than a decent programme
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spitting Image always makes me think it's the end of the weekend and nearly school again!

Some great puppets, sketches and impressions :)
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    People who are offended easily have much more power and say than they did when Spitting Image was around. It simply wouldn't survive in this day and age in its old, non-PC 'actually funny' form.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Spitting Image always makes me think it's the end of the weekend and nearly school again!

Some great puppets, sketches and impressions :)

ITV had some fantastic comedy on Sunday nights at 10pm

Spitting Image
    The New Statesman
    Hot Metal
    Whoops Apocalypse

But then again - they "proper" TV executives in those days.
    Even John Birt was in charge at LWT when they made some of those shows, and he was supposed to be the most cautious man in TV at that time.
    These days he would be considered a radical !!
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I would love Spitting Image to come back.

Me too! It was so clever.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it was of it's time. It only really worked properly durirng the Thatcher/Reagan years, when there was so much division in the country and at the time it was quite politically hard hitting. After Thatcher's demise, it was pretty tame, concentrated on celebs and fizzled out.

Ten years back they tried a cartoon type version of the show called 2DTV and that flopped, as do most satirical "impressionist" shows these days. Maybe there just isn't the market for this anymore.

I'd hardly call 5 series in 4 years a flop .

It's often remarked that both shows were very expensive to make with the short time constraints and the production costs of puppets and animation respectively.

An easy decision when you're hard up.

But I agree that these shows are only as good as the material they're given. With Spitting Image, there was Regan and Thatcher, with 2DTV there was a wealth of material with Blair, Brown and Bush. The landscape today is bland (and probably explains why Have I Got News For You isn't what it was - but that's for a different thread).

I was a little too young for Spitting Image, but have enjoyed what I have seen of it. I loved 2DTV - it was a must see in our house. I'd love to see either return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ALL THESE panel shows with luvvies such as Stephen Fry are
    cheap to make, no effort atall

.. a bit like televising snooker

you ve got to hand it to fluck and law, they had the energy and drive
    to produce something novel, innovative and brilliant TV

The pop vid they made with Genesis was great also
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry - I agree to disagree with some of you.
    I absolutely LOVED Spitting Image in the 80's. I agree it was very political - especially the Maggie Thatcher/John Major sketches. But it also focussed on the Royal Family - the Queen and Queen Mother in particular! Celebrities such as Hugh Grant, Sly Stallone and pop stars were mimicked all the time.

There are SOOO MANY characters they could mimic nearly 30 years on!

The Prime Minister(s), The Royal Family (the next generation), and celebs such as Joey Esssex, Gino DeCampo, Eamon & Ruth, Philip Schofield, Adrian Chiles....

The list is endless! Someone bring it back!! Or will the PC brigade step in??

I always thought the non-political sketches were mainly filmed in advance and slotted into the show only when the weeks news didn't throw up much topical stuff. I certainly found them far less funny than the topical political stuff anyway, almost embaressing really.
    Anyhoo - as I've posted before on Spitting Image threads before, it won't come back as it was incredibly expensive to make.:(
  • Options
    Col.KurtzCol.Kurtz Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see it return too. Maybe Sky are the only ones with the cash to afford the puppet making and voice actors now. They did the excellent Yonderland so you never know!

Damn this got me yearning for The Goodies (also cost a fortune to make) and Not the Nine O'Clock News as well. Happy times.