Lilies --rethink!!!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he should go back to standing under a blue lamp trying to adjust his underpants from out of the crack of his bum whilst saying "Evenin' all!"

Good old Dixon would have fought for Lilies don't you think Wombat?

Glad it's not just me that remembers him! ;)

*Gets out harmonica and starts to play in a Larry Adler stylee*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    slumbermum wrote:
    For me personally, the scheduling wasn't a problem as I have a pretty quiet life ! But as has been reported, the BBC were aimimg Lilies at a young audience , if that's the case then someone's head should roll. Anyone who knows anything would be aware that Friday is 'going out' night for younger people.
    The advertising was very poor imo. I didn't get a real idea what it was going to be about and to be honest didn't think I was going to like it.

How wrong can you be ! It was excellent and the characters were so believable ! I really 'knew' the Moss family after the first episode.

I know what you mean ! If they were determined to show it at 9pm they should have repeated it later. I don't see that being successful, but it may have helped with what they were aiming for. They do it with Jonathan Ross and The Culture Show. Presumably they pick up viewers in the early hours (i.e. coming home time).

It's interesting to me that my 88 yr old neighbour missed the series (apparently she caught the last one when her sister was telling her how much she enjoyed it) but me (30yrs old) saw the lot. I didn't mention it to her at the time because I'd assumed she'd be watching it !

I was thinking she may not have thought to look on BBC1 at 9pm on Fridays, but she loves Have I got News For You !! I wonder what was on ITV though, if it was a repeat of a 20yr old episode of Frost then they would have lost her ! ;):D It could have been promoted a lot better.
  • gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woowookid wrote:
    The email I got from George Dixon at the Beeb claimed airing it on a Sunday wouldn't have made any difference to the viewing figures.

Just trying to excuse the bad scheduling IMO.

Notably it was actually George Dixon who MADE that scheduling decision. He is adamant that Lilies wouldn't have done well on a Sunday, but also admits that the BBC has lost out to ITV most of the time anyway, on Sundays .... he is obsessed with the ratings issues, (and the audience being older and female), believe me, I have spoken with him! He's no doubt a nice enough guy, but I was very unimpressed when he admitted he had never even looked at the Lilies website with the thousands of messages calling for a second series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    ^ ratings wise, wasn't last Sunday one of the BBC's worst ever (since 2002) .... that must be :o (or will we get the usual - the weather was too good, people went out, etc :D )

I don't think this will help his argument, anymore than ignoring forums would.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gadfly wrote:
    Notably it was actually George Dixon who MADE that scheduling decision. He is adamant that Lilies wouldn't have done well on a Sunday, but also admits that the BBC has lost out to ITV most of the time anyway, on Sundays .... he is obsessed with the ratings issues, (and the audience being older and female), believe me, I have spoken with him! He's no doubt a nice enough guy, but I was very unimpressed when he admitted he had never even looked at the Lilies website with the thousands of messages calling for a second series.

I imagine the only way Lillies would have gotten a second series would have been if one of the parts had been played by a no-mark ex-soap actress
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote:
    I imagine the only way Lillies would have gotten a second series would have been if one of the parts had been played by a no-mark ex-soap actress

How about Jennifer Ellison? Would she have been a ratings winner?

Couldn't act her way out of a sopping wet paper bag IMO. :p

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadfly wrote:
    but I was very unimpressed when he admitted he had never even looked at the Lilies website with the thousands of messages calling for a second series.
    that is an absolute disgrace and seemingly shows a contempt for viewer's feelings on this matter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhonnie wrote:
    Ermmmm - yesterday!! I'm pretty sure I could do that job!

To quote a tv character.... "Gizza job - I could do that!" :D
    good letter in the radio times :) .......i haven't said it on the 'other' thread in case we get modded for going off subject.
    i was modded today for absolutely nothing ...i think they're trying to get rid of us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    good letter in the radio times :) .......i haven't said it on the 'other' thread in case we get modded for going off subject.
    i was modded today for absolutely nothing ...i think they're trying to get rid of us

Thanks. They've edited out my bit about the same old trite being churned out in emails and press-releases by every mouth from the drama department!! But I'm still chuffed that it's been printed, none the less. At least it's another bit of publicity for us Lilies-fans!! :D

The mods are indulging in a bit of an anti-Lilies campaign if you as me. And I'm in conspiricy theory mode here, but I reckon some of the dissenters that kept coming on the threads to take the mick were the ones taking the threads off-topic and having them closed down - maybe it was an "inside job" ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhonnie wrote:
    :D

The mods are indulging in a bit of an anti-Lilies campaign if you as me. And I'm in conspiricy theory mode here, but I reckon some of the dissenters that kept coming on the threads to take the mick were the ones taking the threads off-topic and having them closed down - maybe it was an "inside job" ;)
    couldn't agree more..........i can't quite believe how they are treating us
    Forum Member
    couldn't agree more..........i can't quite believe how they are treating us

It's back-fired though hasn't it. I know that, for me, the worse that they treated us, for more determined I was to carry on!! By treating us so badly and closing down threads left, right and centre, they were only fuelling the fire!!! It's my rebellious streak you know :D
    Forum Member
    There at it again!! The bbc have started heavily modding the new Lilies thread - they've even 'doing' posts that have been up for over 24 hrs or more. Honestly!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhonnie wrote:
    There at it again!! The bbc have started heavily modding the new Lilies thread - they've even 'doing' posts that have been up for over 24 hrs or more. Honestly!! :mad:
    yes it's absolutely disgusting ...i am totally surprised at the bbc for the way they are treating people who are in effect saying how much they loved a BBC programme...it's crazy
    censorship is alive and well at the bbc ...shame on them
  • wildmummyboowildmummyboo Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have finished watching the episodes on the dvd and watching them again confirms how wonderful Lilies is compared to the majority of what tv offers.

I just cannot understand why the bbc aren't proud of such an exceptional series.

Either way BRING BACK LILIES.

PS i just love Frank! :o
  • gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been away and can't for the life of me find the Lilies thread over at POV - has it got a new title?
  • slumbermumslumbermum Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hello everybody ! One of the 'Lilies' threads on the BBC has just been closed down today but the other one is still open. Thats the Post WW1 Drama. It's a shame though as some of the anti-lily lot have found it ! I'm hoping anyone who posts on the thread just ignores them. They're such idiots.
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have finished watching the episodes on the dvd and watching them again confirms how wonderful Lilies is compared to the majority of what tv offers.

I just cannot understand why the bbc aren't proud of such an exceptional series.

Either way BRING BACK LILIES.

PS i just love Frank! :o

Me too! Just watched my brand new DVDs too - love it, love it, love it! As I've said before, just a one-off to tie up loose ends would do me (as long as Frank/May Iris/Priest end up together! Lol!) :D
  • James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good shows on the BBC always get cancelled early, just look what happened with Bodies.