American won't take too Cole.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    ONE crime she committed and she's been well behaved ever since. I've been involved in fights when I was a LOT younger but this doesn't make me a thug. My behaviour just changed when I left got older. NO ONE on this forum (I'm guessing) has led a perfect life.

You don't need to guess. I've walloped a couple of people before myself too in the past, albeit in self-defence, and I'd do it again too. (I think we've had this convo before). No one who's turned a corner deserves to keep having their pasts dragged up....and Cheryl's turned a corner. She hasn't re-offended, so I don't see why some can't just let it go FFS. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s0436 wrote: »
    Victoria Beckham has done well in the US, but it's a different type of fame, it's not for being a pop star or mainstream reality tv star. And let's not forget, the Spice Girls sold over 11 million records in the US.

Not again LOL! No she hasn't done that well. She is not a household name there by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's more likely that the U.S. Customs won't allow her a green card as she is a convicted felon. Funny how everybody forgets about that.

You're forgetting that if you're Rich and have a money to get a good immigration lawyer, anything is possible. Look at Russell Brand. He has a few convictions for drugs, and if he were a regular person like us he would never be allowed there. Yet he is starring in movies now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I've taken that into consideration, believe me. Money can buy you anything, I don't pretend otherwise but there are two types of offense in the US -1 is misdemeanour -which includes drug use, petty stealing etc... and the other is felony, which is the more serous and includes amongst others -assault. And that's what she's convicted of. Felony is a huge black mark on anybody. It WILL be taken into consideration. It just amuses me that everybody thinks it's a given that she'll be able to work. It is not a given. That is all.
  • Options
    SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I've never been a big fan of Sharon O and question how appealing she is nationwide over here. I would also agree that Victoria Beckham is not a “huge success” over here, but Cheryl is much better looking & a much more interesting life story, etc.

I wrote on another post- I think Nicole would be a bigger hit on UK xfactor. She doesn't seem to have the same impact in the US. I do like her though, just not as a us xfactor judge.

Cheryl will make a great character on USXF and will be a great success. Simon is dead on when he says Cheryl is a star. She has the X factor that is hard to match for a judge on this type of show. She’s insanely hot, comes across as genuine, (side note- I actually think she will be successful musically in the US as well) , and all of the things that are British about her will add depth and interest, and the fact that the US doesn’t know much about her is perfect. Think of how much there is not get to know about her as a “character.” (everything that the UK has spent the past years discovering). Compared to someone like Mariah Carey who has a great voice but would leave viewers bored if they were interested in finding out more about her.

But although I have never thought Victoria B or Sharon/ kelly O are very popular (and never had the potential to be) I think without a doubt- Cheryl will be a big hit. And in a crowded field of US pop singers in the 25-35 age range, Cheryl will stand out (because she is newer, better looking, British- Kate Middleton in the news the next year will make active british brunets sort of an in commodity).
  • Options
    JokerPokerJokerPoker Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Last thing i'll say on this before i'm called a Cheryl Cole worshiper(which I certainly am not) but her charge has not even been brought into context in the media when talking about her moving to America so I think that says something in itself.

Vinnie Jones moved to America and he had a much more serious assault charge than Cheryl Cole has.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wont understand her anyway
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »

Well, we'll see.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given they have to put subtitles on a lot of uk tv shows for the us i guess they will have difficulty understanding her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Never said you were a worshipper but some on this thread are and I'm bringing it up for those very reasons it's not been mentioned. Look at my original post on the matter. that was the whole point - that a lot have forgotten about it but the US Customs won't.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you know? I'm American and understand her very well.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCUSA wrote: »
    Personally, I've never been a big fan of Sharon O and question how appealing she is nationwide over here. I would also agree that Victoria Beckham is not a “huge success” over here, but Cheryl is much better looking & a much more interesting life story, etc.

I wrote on another post- I think Nicole would be a bigger hit on UK xfactor. She doesn't seem to have the same impact in the US. I do like her though, just not as a us xfactor judge.

Cheryl will make a great character on USXF and will be a great success. Simon is dead on when he says Cheryl is a star. She has the X factor that is hard to match for a judge on this type of show. She’s insanely hot, comes across as genuine, (side note- I actually think she will be successful musically in the US as well) , and all of the things that are British about her will add depth and interest, and the fact that the US doesn’t know much about her is perfect. Think of how much there is not get to know about her as a “character.” (everything that the UK has spent the past years discovering). Compared to someone like Mariah Carey who has a great voice but would leave viewers bored if they were interested in finding out more about her.

But although I have never thought Victoria B or Sharon/ kelly O are very popular (and never had the potential to be) I think without a doubt- Cheryl will be a big hit. And in a crowded field of US pop singers in the 25-35 age range, Cheryl will stand out (because she is newer, better looking, British- Kate Middleton in the news the next year will make active british brunets sort of an in commodity).

Are you for real? No really? Are you???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCUSA wrote: »

But although I have never thought Victoria B or Sharon/ kelly O are very popular (and never had the potential to be) I think without a doubt- Cheryl will be a big hit. And in a crowded field of US pop singers in the 25-35 age range, Cheryl will stand out because she is newer, better looking, British accent. (Kate Middleton in the news the next year will make active british brunets sort of an in commodity).
    luvandlife wrote: »
    Cheryl will be a big hit ...[Yes I really think she'll be a big hit.]

And in a crowded field of US pop singers in the 25-35 age range, Cheryl will stand out because she is newer, better looking, British accent. ...[ I was saying she will standout in a pop culture sense. Newer meaning newer face for the US viewers , who know little about her, but will certainly enjoy getting to know her. Better looking.... Yes I really think she is better looking & incredibly hot by any standard.]

Kate Middleton in the news the next year will make active British brunets sort of an in commodity. [The Kate Middleton comment was said on a lighter more tangential note, but I do think KM will in a small way garner a subconsciously positive association for the US to hot British Brunets. But again this was a very light comment.]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given they have to put subtitles on a lot of uk tv shows for the us i guess they will have difficulty understanding her
    The US public will have no problem understanding her- as has been indicated by almost all of the American post on the subject of her accent. It seem certain regions of the UK have a tougher time understanding her than we do.

And as far as many people in the UK thinking she has a less glamorous accent/ dialect…. The US isn’t familiar with the various regional accents. In general, to Americans, Au/ Irish/ Scot/ Engl accents are usually all grouped as “British accents.” And although certain ones may be harder to understand than others to the general public, I think it has more to do with how slow/ or fast the person speaks. (hence I always understand Cheryl, yet struggle as times with Ant & Dec). Also I think 9 times out of 10 Females tend to speak slower and have less problems with US understanding. (Amanda may be an exception. I like her personality, looks, etc a lot & her accent was fine on BGT- but I do remember her filling in a day or two on Good Morning America, & when she got excited she would occasionally start talking really fast and a few words may have got lost in translation). But Cheryl is always a fairly measured speaker regarding pace & I’ve never even had to “listen closely” to understand her.

But the US audience will love her & her “foreign accent” and “quirky sayings” (much the same way US viewers enjoy Simons British sayings and analogies that are new to their ears.)
    How do you know? I'm American and understand her very well.

I'm American and agree.
  • Options
    maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BReal2 wrote: »
    Nicole is famous over here but she isn't a successful solo artist. Her group is well known, she won Dancing with the Stars,etc.

Many people have heard of The Pussycat Dolls, but couldn't match them to 1 song of theirs. And certainly have no clue on the members.

She did win DWTS, but I would be willing to bet, even the people who watch the show (esp those over 40), now only remember her as "Derek Hough's partner from last season" or "the girl that beat Evan lysacek." That is if they even remember that she won. I would say she is one of the least remembered winners (along with Hélio Castroneves.) I would guess that she won more from having the best scores each week, rather than people voting for her as a celebrity.

Although I don’t watch the show religiously, Anecdotally- from listening to those people I do know that are huge fans, Derek Hough seems to be the most recognizable person associated with the show. Which seems to be backed up somewhat by the fact that he has been in the Final Two, 4 of the last 5 seasons. (And he or his sister have won the show 5/8 years they have participated). All of this is to say, that being Derek Hough’s girlfriend will be just as identifiable ,if Cheryl joins USXF, to the DWTS crowd…. As Nicole would be having won the show.

Bottom line- Nicole is much better known as a household name, it seems, to the British Public… than to the US public. And would be better advised to join UK XF. Especially after judged the singing show on NBC (can’t imagine USXF would have a judge even associated with such a B list show).
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    The biggest joke is that SHaron said Cheryl won't do well because it's Nicole's town over there. WHAT is she talking about? Nicole is not even that famous over there. Therefore her whole argument is invalid.
    Agreed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    If Cheryl gets the X-factor in America, gets a good producer and courts the right people in the business she has a very good chance of making it over there IMO. It all depends on making the right contacts. It has very little to do with talent (or lack of it). As long as you can hold a tune (which she can) you can make a decent record but you have to find the right songs and great song writers/producers. Cheryl is certainly capable of doing this and she's obviously very ambitious. It's up for grabs if she plays her cards right. In her favour she appears to be hardworking and she won't spend her time messing about with drugs.

I think this is a very balanced & insightful post.