Princess Beatrice - embarrassment

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    446.09375 wrote: »
    I think the scale of anti-royal sentiment is overestimated. Every time there's a royal occasion the crowds are massive, the TV programmes reinforce how wonderfully British it all is, and the masses lap it up. I can't see the Royal Family facing too many worries any time soon.

Oh yes, definitely. Statistics never fail to annoy republicans. And they often have a rather naughty habit of plucking a high cost from somewhere and comparing it with a supposed republican cost of nothing; presidents tend to have multiple residences and large staffs as well.

Obviously Beatrice is not personally eliciting any admiration and seems to be modelling herself on her great aunt Margaret, who also footled about in idle luxury for most of her life. But that really isn't a key issue in terms of the financing of the monarchy; she doesn't get any public income directly, and if her parents have failed to instil any work ethic in her, that is up to them really.

I would say, however, that I would not feel obliged to turn up and fawn if she bestowed her royal presence on anywhere where I was working. The Queen, Charles, Camilla, Anne, William, Harry, I would; it would be quite a fun thing to do (not exactly fawning, but I would be quite happy to smile and hang out), but my feelings about being granted an official visit by Beatrice would be those of mild embarrassment.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    A lovely bit of understatement there :D

When Fergie got into all that bother about asking for half a million for access to Andrew from those shady foreigners (and he came out smelling of roses), I always thought he was as much in the know as she was and that she got thrown under the bus. I think, too, that she's been the scapegoat for a lot to save his skin. Although she doesn't exactly help herself sometimes on the face of it, I think they've come to an arrangement that suits them both - she gets looked after and takes the rap for him; he uses her as a cover for all sorts of dodgy dealings. That joint purchase of the £13m ski chalet would suggest it works....

I don't like Prince Andrew at all, I think he behaves like a spoiled brat! I wouldn't at all be surprised if Fergie was "thrown under a bus" to save that idiot's backside. Nah...I don't like him at all.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, definitely. Statistics never fail to annoy republicans. And they often have a rather naughty habit of plucking a high cost from somewhere and comparing it with a supposed republican cost of nothing; presidents tend to have multiple residences and large staffs as well.

Obviously Beatrice is not personally eliciting any admiration and seems to be modelling herself on her great aunt Margaret, who also footled about in idle luxury for most of her life. But that really isn't a key issue in terms of the financing of the monarchy; she doesn't get any public income directly, and if her parents have failed to instil any work ethic in her, that is up to them really.

I would say, however, that I would not feel obliged to turn up and fawn if she bestowed her royal presence on anywhere where I was working. The Queen, Charles, Camilla, Anne, William, Harry, I would; it would be quite a fun thing to do (not exactly fawning, but I would be quite happy to smile and hang out), but my feelings about being granted an official visit by Beatrice would be those of mild embarrassment.

I feel like you feel about Beatrice .... But about the whole lot of them. :D:D I just don't "get" why anybody would want to fawn over any other human being and especially not people who are no better than any of us except they were born royal. They've done nothing to deserve our respect, admiration, love .... Whatever people like to call it.

It's almost as cringeworthy as people who buy china and other crap items of royal memorabilia.

The only royal I have bothered to go and see was years and years ago when Diana came to open a leisure complex locally. My kids were at primary school and they were short of helpers so I went along. The weeks of preparation and cleaning the whole route that she would go on were definitely not worth the few minutes that she spent there. the local council had to pick up the bill for all that so the taxpayers paid whether you liked it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't like Prince Andrew at all, I think he behaves like a spoiled brat! I wouldn't at all be surprised if Fergie was "thrown under a bus" to save that idiot's backside. Nah...I don't like him at all.

It's all gone very quiet again about him and that young girl hasn't it? he always wriggles out of trouble that one!
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    You may not like them, you may rather be part of a republic, but I know who I would rather have as head of our country and it would not be a politician such as "President Blair" for example. Besides the royal family cost each of us only 56p a year a bargain I would say.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I wouldn't want to be around if any of them visited my workplace - I'd have to take the day off. Apart from a slight regard for Princess Anne - I can't stand any of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    You may not like them, you may rather be part of a republic, but I know who I would rather have as head of our country and it would not be a politician such as "President Blair" for example. Besides the royal family cost each of us only 56p a year a bargain I would say.

Yeah right so all the babies and toddlers in the country don't mind giving their 56ps. :D:D That figure is a load of rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to be around if any of them visited my workplace - I'd have to take the day off. Apart from a slight regard for Princess Anne - I can't stand any of them.

It's pathetic ..... Every bit of litter that's laid around for months is miraculously picked up, flowers are planted, hanging baskets displayed, bunting hung up, everywhere tidied up. The royals should see our towns as they really are. It's a total waste of money which we all pay for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It's all gone very quiet again about him and that young girl hasn't it? he always wriggles out of trouble that one!

The judge dealing with the case said that Prince Andrew wouldn't have to appear in court. I said/predicted a while ago that he wouldn't go to court.
    Forum Member
    It's pathetic ..... Every bit of litter that's laid around for months is miraculously picked up, flowers are planted, hanging baskets displayed, bunting hung up, everywhere tidied up. The royals should see our towns as they really are. It's a total waste of money which we all pay for.

It annoys me when Royal supporters spout that 'they only cost 56p each' nonsense. They're not taking into account the other expenses that the tax payer picks up the tab for!
    Forum Member
    The judge dealing with the case said that Prince Andrew wouldn't have to appear in court. I said/predicted a while ago that he wouldn't go to court.

The only courts you'll ever see the royals at will be Centre Court at Wimbledon!
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entire Royal family is a joke....time to rid the crown as it is so dumb
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entire Royal family is a joke....time to rid the crown as it is so dumb

It is SO stupid isn't it and so outdated.

Royals wandering around in ermine cloaks, crowns and jewels .... It's like something from a child's fairytale book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only courts you'll ever see the royals at will be Centre Court at Wimbledon!

I knew he wouldn't be in court for it. I would have bet a large chunk of money on him not having to appear in court for what he was accused of. In my opinion, the Queen will never allow any member of the Royal Family to appear in court for anything. Can you imagine the damage/scandal that it would cause to the Royal Family if any member of it did apear in court?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is SO stupid isn't it and so outdated.

Royals wandering around in ermine cloaks, crowns and jewels .... It's like something from a child's fairytale book.

It's not the Royal Family that gets on my nerves, but all the ridiculous pomp and faffing on that happens. Cutlery, plates and whatnot have to be absolutely perfectly precise when a dinner is being held at Buckingham Palace for world leaders. Nothing against the Queen, but there's just too much of make sure this is perfectly right and make sure that is perfectly right going on. Some things in life, things being perfect is understandable, but I don't think things should be when it comes to hosting a dinner for guests. I dunno....I just think the whole thing's ridiculous.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

I think it was Billy Connolly who said that the Queen thinks the world smells of fresh paint.

We've had a few royal visits at my work. It's a lot of upheaval and disruption just so someone can turn up, look very bored and then go away all in the space of an hour at the most. It's fun to watch all the head ones in their best suits and frocks in full grovelling mode though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could just imagine. People wanting to out do the other when sucking up to her. It's ridiculous the way a lot are around her. The amount of sucking up a lot of people do when talking to her is laughable! You'd think she was a god the way some behave. Sigh...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could just imagine. People wanting to out do the other when sucking up to her. It's ridiculous the way a lot are around her. The amount of sucking up a lot of people do when talking to her is laughable! You'd think she was a god the way some behave. Sigh...

I bet the royals go home and have a right good laugh too. I Have just been watching Newzoids and the royals on there are spot on ..... A load of wasters. Very, very clever programme.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it more scary you hate somebody you have never met
  • Patent PendingPatent Pending Posts: 140
    Forum Member

I never met Sepp Blatter either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I'm one of those that that is aimed at, I don't hate any of the Royals. Hate is a very strong word and should only be reserved for those who've done something that has caused you to feel extreme distress/anger. I don't like Prince Andrew, but I don't hate him though.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the Royal Family, but think that after the two oldest of the Queen's offspring have been recognised, the rest should be put to work as normal people (That means Andrew & CO). Anne did the right thing by bringing her kids up without "royal" titles. Andrew and co are simply leeches on society - and no one more so than his super-leech of a daughter, Beatrice.

And for the record, I would NEVER bow to the Queen or any of her family.

I remember once getting a telling off for not rising to toast the queen at a company dinner. But as the company couldn't show me anything that forced employees to honour her etc, then there was nowt they could do.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew's allegedly the Queen's favourite, and he certainly seems to have got away with stuff that would have had Charles run out of town. There were rumours around that he wasn't the child of Phil the Greek, but that his father was a well known aristocrat. (Think Downton but not Lord Grantham!). I can see that, as he doesn't have the 'Hanoverian' look about him that the other three have.

A poster said ^ that Harry is 'Andrew in the future'. I don't think so, as Harry seems to have a focus to his life with his charity work, whilst Andrew only had the job which was virtually created for him as a 'Business Ambassador' for the UK, for which he was totally unsuited for and lost because of his association with a known paedophile. Andrew had it cushy with being Queenie's fave, but Harry's had no mother to help him through life, only a rather distant father.

Beatrice certainly seems to have inherited her father and mother's freeloading ways. I think she'll end up a good time girl like her great-aunt Margaret - sad and rootless in her old age and ending her life in a bad way.

A rather long but enlightening article on Andrew.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2011/08/prince-andrew-201108
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Yeah right so all the babies and toddlers in the country don't mind giving their 56ps. :D:D That figure is a load of rubbish.

No its not, its what the civil list (where the Queen gets some of her income from) costs the public. The balance is made up from income from Rotal Estates. Now you will probably argue why should they (the Royals) have estates in this day and age, well its property that has been handed down through generations. You may say well sieze it and return it to the people, but how would you feel if you had been born into wealth with lots of land and property and someone decided that it wasn't fair and you had to hand it over ?
    OK the monarchy may be a bit old fashioned in this day and age, but I would still far rather have a Monarchy then a President. At least the Monarchy appears to be honest unlike most of our politicians who seem to screw every last penny they can get out of the country for their own ends.