Options

Richard Bacon leaves 6Music

Today around 7 minutes to 5 Richard said he is leaving 6Music after next weeks show, good news for many, who will replace him? Would be great to get Phil Jupitus back or Pete Mitchell or even better idea extend Liz and Jon's shows by an hour.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know he was there!
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    That's a disappointment. Richard Bacon being on 6 Music has encouraged me to listen to more adventurous music with the promise of a presenter I know guiding me through it. He's also clearly passionate about the stuff he plays and the station without taking it all far too seriously (as many indie-kids do).

However if he has left to concentrate on the far more high-profile 5 Live gig, I'd fully understand that.
  • Options
    madalicesdadmadalicesdad Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    ...the self publicising t0sser is going!!! I actually cheered when I heard, but won't be truly happy til I know it's true. Weekends are the only time I get to listen to 6 Music non stop, and Saturday afternoon 3-5 is the time I use to do jobs away from the radio. Bacon is the only presenter on 6 Music who knows FA about music. The only thing he is passionate about is himself and his ego.
    Lamb, Bacon, please don't employ any other meat based presenters on 6!!
    Mike
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should be getting thick skinned by now. Apart from Jo Good the Saturday line up is full of the unloved and unwanted.

Holmes should go back to the middle of the afternoon show and ...........no idea for the replacement. :confused:
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 6 Music show Richard did was the first music show he's done where it didn't make you want to retune. He finally found his musical presentational niche on 6 Music.

Unlike George Lamb, he'll be missed.
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing the BBC they will probably get two presenters in to replace him, on £50,000 a show! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I only listen to the last few minutes of his show, and he annoys me so I certainly won't miss him.

I hope they give his slot to Jon Holmes (or maybe lengthen his show), it's the best show on the station since Russell Howard, Jon Richardson and George Lamb left.
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Adam and Joe poised to make a comeback (although I'm still not sure if their Christmas show is a one-off) and Collins and Herring doing well filling in for them... why not C&H in the afternoons? Or A&J in the afternoons? Whatever, just keep them both!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Adam and Joe poised to make a comeback (although I'm still not sure if their Christmas show is a one-off) and Collins and Herring doing well filling in for them... why not C&H in the afternoons? Or A&J in the afternoons? Whatever, just keep them both!
    Wow, they're really jumbling the double acts.

Richard Herring has left Stewart Lee for Andrew Collins while Stuart Maconie's transferred his affections from Andrew to Mark Radcliffe!

I guess Stewart Lee with Marc Riley would complete the circle? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I only listen to the last few minutes of his show, and he annoys me so I certainly won't miss him.

I hope they give his slot to Jon Holmes (or maybe lengthen his show), it's the best show on the station since Russell Howard, Jon Richardson and George Lamb left.

With all due respect, I feel you may be missing the rationality for 6Music existing. It was never intended to be a station for wacky presenters or comedians honing their act with a bit of light white boy guitar indie and golden oldies in between. It was supposed to present a more considered approach to all forms of popular music simply not covered elsewhere on radio. Which is why the most treasured presenters on the network are people like Gideon Coe, Marc Riley, Jarvis, Stuart Maconie, Cerys Matthews and the most recent appointment, Tom Ravenscroft.

I'm not saying those DJ's you listed are poor (apart from the lamentable Lamb, who was a fish out of water from day one), and heaven knows what Mark and Lard achieved in the presentation of music without sacrificing their comedy chops, but they're not really the reason the station quickly found its way into the hearts of thousands of real music lovers.

What 6Music does need is a more music orientated show on Saturday afternoons, to break up what has become rather too much of a comedy banter day (with Adam & Joe/Collins & Herring, Bacon and Jon Holmes) on the station. Mark Radcliffe would be ideal, of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    LoudGeoffW wrote: »
    With all due respect, I feel you may be missing the rationality for 6Music existing. It was never intended to be a station for wacky presenters or comedians honing their act with a bit of light white boy guitar indie and golden oldies in between. It was supposed to present a more considered approach to all forms of popular music simply not covered elsewhere on radio. Which is why the most treasured presenters on the network are people like Gideon Coe, Marc Riley, Jarvis, Stuart Maconie, Cerys Matthews and the most recent appointment, Tom Ravenscroft.

I'm not saying those DJ's you listed are poor (apart from the lamentable Lamb, who was a fish out of water from day one), and heaven knows what Mark and Lard achieved in the presentation of music without sacrificing their comedy chops, but they're not really the reason the station quickly found its way into the hearts of thousands of real music lovers.

What 6Music does need is a more music orientated show on Saturday afternoons, to break up what has become rather too much of a comedy banter day (with Adam & Joe/Collins & Herring, Bacon and Jon Holmes) on the station. Mark Radcliffe would be ideal, of course.

I completely understand the reasons for 6music's existence. I listen to it throughout the week, because I enjoy the music that is played. 6music has put me onto a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have heard otherwise and I am thankful for that.

However, when it comes to liking certain DJs, the comedy presenters are the more entertaining (in my opinion). There is obviously a reason why the station have or have had comedy presenters...if they didn't want them, they wouldn't employ them; this is the station that started out with shows presented by Phill Jupitus and Sean Hughes.

I personally enjoy the comedy on a saturday and these are the shows that I always make sure I listen to, rather than just catch now and again. And while I agree that George Lamb wasn't the best presenter for the station, that is where he was and so that is where I listened to him. I found his shows to be very funny, even though I am someone who should have found it incredibly annoying (because I did at first!!).
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoudGeoffW wrote: »

You're right in terms of the original intention, but but wall-to-wall serious muso presentation can be very dry. The presenters with obvious empathy with the music and the ability to be entertaining/funny appeal most to me. It was where the original Xfm got it wrong at first. They thought it would be enough to play very alternative stuff with very little "entertainment" (with the obvious exception of Mr Gervais). I wrote to Sammy Jacobs to say it needed to lighten up, as it was like eating a bowl of dry muesli. They were just getting it right (with improving Rajar) when Park got his chequebook out.

I think the weekdays on 6 could do with a shake up, as none of the presenters do it for me. Keaveny is too dry for the mornings, Nemone is bland, and In all these years I never discovered a personality in Lamaq. "Good Day/Bad Day" is cringeworthy as he doesn't easily interact with people (though I've been on it meself!). Huey Morgan is OK on a weekend slot, but is wearying every day. Not that I'm looking forward to Lauren Laverne's return, as she tries too hard to be zany DJ. Instead of Andrew Collins being the stock stand-in, he should get a regular daytime show. His funny geeky style suits the station, and he is a total muso. I prefer him solo than with Herring who is about as funny as a burning orphanage. Meat beats fish.

I truly love the station, but it could do better. And as I keep saying - stop repeating their A/B playlist so heavily.

They should continue the meat theme for Bacon's show and reunite Mark and.....Lard.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You're right in terms of the original intention, but but wall-to-wall serious muso presentation can be very dry. The presenters with obvious empathy with the music and the ability to be entertaining/funny appeal most to me. It was where the original Xfm got it wrong at first. They thought it would be enough to play very alternative stuff with very little "entertainment" (with the obvious exception of Mr Gervais). I wrote to Sammy Jacobs to say it needed to lighten up, as it was like eating a bowl of dry muesli. They were just getting it right (with improving Rajar) when Park got his chequebook out. <snip>

More likely to be David Mansfield getting out the chequebook for such a deal, I doubt the Programme Director would have such power!
    They should continue the meat theme for Bacon's show and reunite Mark and.....Lard.

Good call if they aren't going to extend Liz and Jon.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I would like to say I will miss the show, that I have found it very entertaining and how I am a fan of both Richard and Marc Haynes.

However this would mean that I would be indicating that I “love the show” which would mean I would occur a ban and not be able to listen to the last week.

So I'll say I'm pleased he's going and hope he never darkens 6Music's door again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Gonna miss this hugely. Loved the incredibly dry and repetitive nature of the program... Marc really made it though and its a shame you cant find him anywhere else on the radio.
    Just to cover myself in case of ban: The show was consistently atrocious and very little originality or humour was present throughout its short lived existence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Wow, they're really jumbling the double acts.

Richard Herring has left Stewart Lee for Andrew Collins while Stuart Maconie's transferred his affections from Andrew to Mark Radcliffe!

I guess Stewart Lee with Marc Riley would complete the circle? :D

Nah, what would complete the circle would be Collins and Maconie,
    Riley and an imported Radcliffe,(weekends), 8-11 and 11-3) Jupitus and Wilding 7-10, Coe at 10-1 Monday to Thursday, H. Morgan 1-3, Adam and Joe 3-5, Vic McGlynn till7, Auntie Lala 7-9, Tom Robinson till Midnight.(Weekdays)
    Oh, sorry, just drifted into "My Dream 6 Music lineup"
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Ravenscroft has just announced he's doing the slot again next week.

I'd hope that Jon Holmes somehow got an extra hour out of it, because his show always seemed rushed since it was cut down from three hours.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten Bacon had left and didn't give it a thought listening to the slightly dull Ravenscroft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any clues what will replace him? Jon Holmes seemed to hint at something important being announced soon about it, which might hint at his show being extended? The 6music site still lists Richard Bacon being on the next two Saturdays. radiotimes.com lists Liz Kershaw being on from 1-5 on the 8th (which I find unlikely), and it's TBA for the following Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally the mystery (that only I'm interested in) has been solved! Both Liz and Jon Holmes will get an extra hour, so Liz Kershaw will be on 1-4 and Jon Holmes will be on 4-7.