Foreign cuisines apart from Chinese/Indian/Italian

GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it would be fair to say that in most British towns it's easy to get Chinese, Indian and Italian food, whether in a restaurant or from a takeaway. Thai is probably catching them up, and maybe Spanish (in the form of tapas). But which less frequently found 'foreign' cuisines do you eat regularly, or have you tried occasionally ?

Comments

• Nuggets69Nuggets69 Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Boshintang and Kimchi from Korea. Difficult to buy online you can't read Hanji, but I get a lot of it delivered every month and it's delicious.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried Persian/Middle Eastern food on the Edgeware Road once.
    Had these little sausage type things, spicy and sitting in a lemon flavour oil. Were tasty.
  • CalamCalam Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Quite a few Turkish restaurants around. They sometimes have a barbecue / fire pit thing in the restaurant where they cook all their meat.

Quite healthy and delicious. Probably my favourite foreign food. Well actually it's a toss up between that and thai. Depends what kind of mood I'm in.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japanese
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    We had a Japanese restaurant, which also had a Teppanyaki section, but it closed down.

We also have a couple of Greek/Cypriot restaurants but they tend to be general mediterranean.

Are you lumping Thai in with Chinese? Several of the Chinese restaurants and takeaways have a Thai section.

There is a dedicated Thai takeaway but it does have some Chinese meals also.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a Nepalese near me, also a Moroccan/Lebanese place in town.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loads of Japanese in central London......I can think of 5 within a couple of hundred yards of my flat.

But I've never tried them......:p

I should really......I suppose it's just that thing of not knowing what to ask for.....:o
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turkish, Thai, Mexican, Japanese...

There was a wonderful Turkish restaurant in Dundee, I used to love going there. I really miss it!
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to a Greek restaurant here in Nottingham. Had the mese(?). Never had Greek food before, was lovely.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    There's a distinct lack of good Spanish tapas places around the UK, although London is probably an expection.

Too many 'tapas bars' are too quick to peddle the usual chorizo, patatas bravas and albondigas.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My town (well its more of a very big village) has 1 chain Italian (ask) and 3 Indians no Chinese though :(
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Eat a lot of Korean food. Deliciously spicy. There is a Korean supermarket about 7 or 8 miles from where I live, and I frequent it quite a lot.
    Forum Member
    Nuggets69 wrote: »
    Boshintang and Kimchi from Korea. Difficult to buy online you can't read Hanji, but I get a lot of it delivered every month and it's delicious.

Bit pedantic I know, but Hanji are the Chinese characters that are used less and less in Korean these days. The Korean alphabet that you are seeing online is actually called Hangul. (Studying Korean language for 2 and a half years).
    Forum Member
    Eat a lot of Korean food. Deliciously spicy. There is a Korean supermarket about 7 or 8 miles from where I live, and I frequent it quite a lot.

Are you near New Malden?
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Are you near New Malden?

Ah no, I live in Birmingham. 'Seoul Plaza' has a branch of it's franchise in Birmingham.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    In my neck of the woods we've had a spate of Argentine-style steak houses and barbecue places opening.

My big three to eat out are Japanese, Indonesian and Vietnamese.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There's a distinct lack of good Spanish tapas places around the UK, although London is probably an expection.

Too many 'tapas bars' are too quick to peddle the usual chorizo, patatas bravas and albondigas.
    We have a tapas bar/restaurant and although my mates love it I keep telling them it's the equivalent of a chinese buffet restaurant - not the self serve ones but the ones where you order and the food is cooked / plated to order.
    The food is nice enough but not much more than ready meal standard.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very lucky as I live about a 10 minute walk from a massive street littered with bars and restaurants.

From the top of my head I can think of:

Chinese
    Sushi
    Vietnamese
    Thai
    Morrocan
    Veggie noddle bar
    Italian - several
    Turkish - several
    Tapas
    Mexican
    Argentine
    Indian
    French - several
    General British Cuisine - Several

Not to mention the "gastro cafes" (very posh places that mainstream in lunches and early evening meals) and Gastro pubs

There is also an Ottelenghi plus your usual chanins (Pizza Express, Strada, Nando's, Gourmet Burger Co, Wagamama)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I used to be a big fan of the Vietnemese restaurant in Swansea. Unfortunately there's not one near me where I live now.

There are Mexican, Jamaican, Nepalese, french and thai in addition to the standard english/chinese/italian/indian.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and the problem with those dishes are? Have you actually been to a regular working mans tapas bar in spain that isn't in a tourist area?
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    and the problem with those dishes are? Have you actually been to a regular working mans tapas bar in spain that isn't in a tourist area?

Is that one that has a turn on?
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of the Vietnemese restaurant in Swansea. Unfortunately there's not one near me where I live now.

There are Mexican, Jamaican, Nepalese, french and thai in addition to the standard english/chinese/italian/indian.

Garuda on St Helens Road?
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Garuda on St Helens Road?

No it was out of town in Uplands I think. Although this was over 10 years ago now when I went to Uni so it may well not be there any more.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I tried mexican for the first time recently and its catapaulted to my top spot! Im not too keen on spice so i am restricted as to what i can enjoy but now ive found a few things, im hooked!
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    No it was out of town in Uplands I think. Although this was over 10 years ago now when I went to Uni so it may well not be there any more.

Oh that one.

It's still there. I walked past it the other week after visiting the dentist.

Is it worth a visit then?