Options

How quiet is the Humax HDR-1000S?

JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
Forum Member
Hi,
We currently have a Humax FoxsatHD box in the bedroom, and have been thinking about upgrating it to a PVR so that we can record and pause stuff.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Humax HDR-1000S, the only thing that worries me slightly is how noisy the unit is and whether we're likely to lie in bed listening to the fan and HDD all night! I have a 1TB VM Tivo in the lounge, and after a couple of nights sleeping in the lounge with back issues, its surprisingly noisy when it keeps kicking up every 30 mins or so.

So I wondered if anyone else here has the 1000s in the bedroom and how noisy it is and how often it wakes up when in standby?

Thanks,
James.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My HDR1000S is not in a bedroom but it's only about 4 ft from where I sit on an open shelf at ear level. It's very quiet (I have to put my ear right up to it to see if the HDD is running). It however has a 2TB WD drive in it, I don't remember the original 500GB drive being noisy either. Unless you use the remote scheduling app afaik the box doesn't wake up in the night at all. You might like to consider the single tuner HB1000S which records to a USB drive you provide yourself. For full operation a HDR1000S needs two lnb cables.
  • Options
    JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    My HDR1000S is not in a bedroom but it's only about 4 ft from where I sit on an open shelf at ear level. It's very quiet (I have to put my ear right up to it to see if the HDD is running). It however has a 2TB WD drive in it, I don't remember the original 500GB drive being noisy either. Unless you use the remote scheduling app afaik the box doesn't wake up in the night at all. You might like to consider the single tuner HB1000S which records to a USB drive you provide yourself. For full operation a HDR1000S needs two lnb cables.

Thanks for that Graham, Thats good to know. yeah I did think about a single tuner box, but I work shifts and some days towards the end of the week we become lazy and come in and go to bed and stay there for the rest of the evening, so it'd be handy to be able to record one channel and watch another (we dont really use the lounge and the Tivo much anymore TBH lol)

Luckily we already have 2 LNB cables as the cables came from the dish, through the bedroom and into the lounge, and when we had the Tivo I pulled them both back into the bedroom - One is attached to the Foxsat and the other rolled up underneath the unit.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How quiet is the Humax HDR-1000S?

Extremely quiet.

In lounge, cannot hear it at all.