Options

Dark matter (syfy- US pace)

Comments

• Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never even heard of this until I saw this thread and checked out what it was about. Sounds pretty good. I just hope it doesn't get axed or at least not on a cliffhanger anyway anyway.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was impressed and intrigued. It's on my watch list for the summer.

Also, I think the Black guy and the Asian woman are a couple.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gaz141 wrote: »
    OK so they may not remember anything, but surely if they are all a bunch of killers and conmen, this is who they really are intrinsically, so why would some of them have empathy with the people on the planet they were sent to destroy?

Those profiles could be fake. If not, just because you do bad things doesn't make you the devil.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the greatest pilot I've ever seen but will give it a couple of more episodes to see what happens.

Before we found out The Raza was the name of the ship rather than an alien race I was hopping there was going to be a bunch of 7 foot tall alien lizards behind that indestructible door.

Still could be I suppose if the "crew" actually do turn out to be good guys who captured the ship transporting the alien lizards :D

The guy on the scrambled video was
    Stargate's David Hewlett by the way.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just read the comic. thee are only 4. first two are ep 1 so i guess ep 2 is comic 3 & 4. That will set up the premise and away we go!

Firefly Vs The A-team here we come!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »

Firefly Vs The A-team here we come!

Don't know why, but I also a definite sniff of a Blakes 7 vibe too.

Overall I enjoyed it, will carry on watching for now.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    My first thought was that the profiles were fake, if they're the bad guys then why was another ship trying to destroy them.

I liked it, a few faces I recognised and an interesting concept so I'll certainly give it a few episodes and see where it goes.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first thought was that the profiles were fake, if they're the bad guys then why was another ship trying to destroy them.

I liked it, a few faces I recognised and an interesting concept so I'll certainly give it a few episodes and see where it goes.

Because they're the bad guys :D

On a more serious note. While I'm a sci-fi junkie, that first episode was terrible. The worst part was the effects and scenes are really good (for syfy anyway) but gawd, the characters are cliched to heaven.

If that bloody android closes her eyes to connect to the ship any more I'll throw my TV out of the window! So bloody annoying.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Because they're the bad guys :D

If they are in fact the bad guys then the people attacking them were 'good guys' but generally speaking 'good guys' don't just attack with no warning. That was my reasoning, but of course I've no idea what happened prior to them waking up, and to be honest I don't mind whether they're good or bad, it's what they do now that counts.

The android is annoying though!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For UK viewers this starts tonight on SyFy UK at 8pm.
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder how Syfy (or Sci-Fi Channel as it was called back then) managed to make a quality show like Battlestar Galactica. All of their shows are complete dross. They give a bad name to sci-fi.

To be fair 12 Monkeys was rather good. I liked it.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    For UK viewers this starts tonight on SyFy UK at 8pm.

To be fair 12 Monkeys was rather good. I liked it.

Oh yeah, good point. I keep forgetting 12 Monkeys is a Syfy show :D. I like the show too :).
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this on syfy uk now, must say I'm finding it hard to get into. Can't see myself sticking with this.

On another note, the ship kind of looks like Destiny, I know it's from the makers of Stargate so I wonder if they used some of the old set?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it........thought it was OK

Apart from the trendy current vogue of filming everything with no lights on.........turn some effing lights on !

I'll stick with it for sure as long as they find the light switch by episode 2
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    On another note, the ship kind of looks like Destiny, I know it's from the makers of Stargate so I wonder if they used some of the old set?

I've seen other people say the same, one even claiming that David Hewlett had bought and kept the SGU sets to use in another show.

This blog post from last year has pics of them building the set for the ship though.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see the Firefly vibe that's been mentioned.........the gun toting redneck, the young girl who fixes all the machinery and the android is a bit like Summer Glau's character.......and the 'wild west' planet they land on
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the actress playing the android the same one from lost girl?
  • Options
    tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Isn't the actress playing the android the same one from lost girl?

yes it is
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first episode tonight = and will stick with it for a while

I would say it reminds me muchly of Firefly (which I loved)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I can see the Firefly vibe that's been mentioned.........the gun toting redneck, the young girl who fixes all the machinery and the android is a bit like Summer Glau's character.......and the 'wild west' planet they land on
    Yes the Android woman being an integral part of the ship is straight out of Andromeda.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all Americans, lost in space
    Zoie Palmer is Cornish and a very talented actress.
    Lost Girl was a gem of a show overall
    Just watched the first two episodes of Dark Matter and thought it was OK.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched Episode 2 and I have to say, I quite like it. I do feel it's moving more in the direction of a Blake's 7 more than Firefly but there's something about it that i do quite like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Don't know why, but I also a definite sniff of a Blakes 7 vibe too.

Overall I enjoyed it, will carry on watching for now.

Definitely Blake's 7 because 6 humans plus 1 computer/android (Zen-Orac-Slave 1) makes it 7. Also the getting hold of a ship and facing off against the "Company" = "Federation" is like it too.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope there will be 2 more crew members waking up at some point to make 9 overall so the android will end up being 7 of 9.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Ive just read the comic. thee are only 4. first two are ep 1 so i guess ep 2 is comic 3 & 4. That will set up the premise and away we go!

Although I haven't read the comics, with it being only 4 issues, it seems that the first 2 episodes have already covered the story. Which can be a problem, as they make stuff up along the way and it tends to be not so good, without finished content to adapt. However the original comic book writers are the writers for the show though, and are the writers for Stargate too, so might still turn out as it should be.

I do hope they don't have an episode for each character, telling their backstory. I much rather they carry on their journey, with less history being known but small reveals along the way.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Although I haven't read the comics, with it being only 4 issues, it seems that the first 2 episodes have already covered the story. Which can be a problem, as they make stuff up along the way and it tends to be not so good, without finished content to adapt. However the original comic book writers are the writers for the show though, and are the writers for Stargate too, so might still turn out as it should be.

I do hope they don't have an episode for each character, telling their backstory. I much rather they carry on their journey, with less history being known but small reveals along the way.

its written by the same people isn't it - they probably know what they are doing!

2nd ep was good - pretty much followed the 3rd and 4th comics