Anyone here sick of the Tropical House domination?

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
Me being an Olly Murs fan for all my sins, I had his new album as a birthday present. Murs with his music with personality has had it sucked out with half the tracks being this boring monotonous Tropical House sound.

I know a lot of commercial music appeals to today's TOWIE and Instagram generation, and having lived through eras such as the pop group era, the Urban era and the Indie era ten years ago, it feels this is way to dominant and no other genre can co exist with it.

It's just the same type of song and beat over and over again. It's a wonder today's artists haven't sued each other or themselves for plagiarism! None of this stuff will be remembered ten years from now and I'm sick of this music geared to people dancing to it off their faces.

What does anyone else think?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it.
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it Typically Tropical?
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Never heard of it.

Knock yourself out: http://everynoise.com/engenremap-tropicalhouse.html

Other genres are available, OP; something here might take your fancy: http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Me being an Olly Murs fan for all my sins, I had his new album as a birthday present. Murs with his music with personality has had it sucked out with half the tracks being this boring monotonous Tropical House sound.

I know a lot of commercial music appeals to today's TOWIE and Instagram generation, and having lived through eras such as the pop group era, the Urban era and the Indie era ten years ago, it feels this is way to dominant and no other genre can co exist with it.

It's just the same type of song and beat over and over again. It's a wonder today's artists haven't sued each other or themselves for plagiarism! None of this stuff will be remembered ten years from now and I'm sick of this music geared to people dancing to it off their faces.

Tropical House? Never heard of it. What is it?

I agree there's so much of todays chart music sounds the same and is as dull as ditchwater
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeteA wrote: »
    Dude, it's, like, totally tropical.

Man, I could murder a Lilt right now. :p
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    I think the 2010s especially anything after 2014 has become the creatively impaired situation. Why has it become like this? You'd think with so much going on in the world, we'd see a new movement or more politically charged songs.
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tropical house is very dominant , for everyone who doesn't know it's the production sound that Justin Bieber used on his last album but it is used by 90%of dance acts in the top 40 which was first made famous by Kygo.I think it's great for background music at parties and bars but it's too slow to dance to and is getting as dominant as a production as SAW in the their era. A change is needed
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electro death march is a better name for it. I run through the charts on Spotify all over the world the same " dink dink dink " runs through every tune. The exception is Spanish speaking nations who have more traditional tunes charting. It makes my heart sink when every other tune sounds so similar. Must confess chart / pop radio means nothing now. I'd recommend BBC 6 Music as a place to hear new music of various artists plus a look back at classic pop and rock of the last 40 years.
    My favourite album this year Yussef Kamaal-Black Focus, a London based duo. It's jazz, afrobeats and grooves. Brilliant!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thorney wrote: »
    Tropical house is very dominant , for everyone who doesn't know it's the production sound that Justin Bieber used on his last album but it is used by 90%of dance acts in the top 40 which was first made famous by Kygo.I think it's great for background music at parties and bars but it's too slow to dance to and is getting as dominant as a production as SAW in the their era. A change is needed

Yes, I recognise what you mean by 'Tropical House'. It's pleasant, uneventful music which people can dance to without thinking, perfect music for the era.

Little Mix have a TH track on their new album but 'Glory Days' has power pop, electro pop, ballads, R&B and some mad stuff as well. Maybe that's a better blueprint for the future?
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see what the O/P is suggesting here. You might not think it but it is a stupidly popular genre that seems to have come out of nowhere and taken over. Even indie acts like Coldplay and the Kaiser Chiefs seem to have dumped their trademark sounds and morphed into this genre with their lastest albums. I guess that its a style that seems to play on radio across the world and that the incentive for jumping onto the bandwagon. Its become the new middle of the road music.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term Tropical House was coined as a joke and it seems to have stuck to refer to a genre of pop that has absolutely nothing to do with actual house music.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need to learn my genres one day. It's all just "music" to me, good or bad ..
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Genres have their peaks before fading back to obscurity.

In 2010 it was dubstep that was hailed as the future of music. Fast forward to 2012 and dubstep was the genre that made a brief impact in 2010 and 2011.

However, the charts were faster between 2010-2012, a LOT faster. So these peaks in genre popularity did seem to come and go quite quickly.

Now the charts have been almost destroyed by lack of movement from one month to the next (yes, I said month) it means when a sound becomes popular, it's no longer flavour of the month, but more flavour of the year. If the charts continue to be super slow, then in six months time we will still be hearing tropical dance in the top 40.

Possibly by 2018 it will have faded away.
    Forum Member
    Electro Death March is probably the best description :D It's so dominant, that it seems anything that deviates against it is marked down. I didn't mind the Dubstep era as it didn't pollute our airwaves and make artists sell out like this one has. Either the music industry has become even more shallow, or we're seeing a shift that what we hear on the radio and on TV is reflective of today's culture and that being cool and pretty is the way forward.

The singles chart is a joke nowadays - too geared to stupid kids, clubbers and easy to manipulate.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Either the music industry has become even more shallow, or we're seeing a shift that what we hear on the radio and on TV is reflective of today's culture and that being cool and pretty is the way forward.

I think it's the artists themselves that are shallow.

The worst example right now imo is Maroon 5's Don't Wanna Know. If Let Me Love You by DJ Snake didn't exist, then neither would've Don't Wanna Know. Then again, Adam Levine would've probably wrote a song that sounds like Cold Water. :cry:

Some acts are just desperate for a hit single. Maroon 5 have provided 2016 with the most desperate hit single of the year.

(shame because the music video for Don't Wanna Know is unashamedly funny but the song remains crap)
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Music started to lose it's variety in the early 90s. I'm talking about chart music. I remember about 92/93 I kept thinking all the songs sound the same whereas 10/12 years previous to that chart music had so much variety. Over the last 20/25 odd years record companies have been so obsessed with what will sell more that they've literally not allowed artists to be creative anymore.
  • tivtiv Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeteA wrote: »

Going to Barbados?
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't know Olly Murs if I bumped into him in Waitrose, nor have I ever heard of Tropical House ... which is all rather depressing, because forty or fifty years ago I knew every record in the top twenty, all the bands around and most things about them.

Now I just carry on enjoying the sounds I've always enjoyed and let modern sameness fly past me to the younger record buying public!
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I think it's the artists themselves that are shallow.

The worst example right now imo is Maroon 5's Don't Wanna Know. If Let Me Love You by DJ Snake didn't exist, then neither would've Don't Wanna Know. Then again, Adam Levine would've probably wrote a song that sounds like Cold Water. :cry:

Some acts are just desperate for a hit single. Maroon 5 have provided 2016 with the most desperate hit single of the year.

(shame because the music video for Don't Wanna Know is unashamedly funny but the song remains crap)

They are the true meaning of sell-out. What a pathetic song. Perhaps fining artists ie docking 25 places in the charts for following the trend and banning them airplay and suspending contracts? Extreme, but it's one way to stop this cancer clogging up the charts. Even suspending Spotify accounts and IP adresses to stop it even?
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread.

All these EDM/Tropical House tracks really do sound the same and lack personality. They sum up the snapchat filter youth of today.

And people gave the Emo craze a hard time 10 years ago? At least people weren't afraid to be different and there was a sense of rebellion.

This EDM stuff is so vanilla.

And people are excited about a Dua Lipa album? Why? It's going to be more of the same s**t.