Options

The Craft Channel

stuharris63stuharris63 Posts: 216
Forum Member
Seems The Craft Channel may be having issues, all morning it has been coming up "service is not available".

Another channel bitten the dust??

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always jokingly say 'that someone hasn't paid their broadcasting bill!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I always jokingly say 'that someone hasn't paid their broadcasting bill!"

Quite possible, just looked at their facebook page which said last week they had "internal issues" and certain items hadn't been dispacted and a lot of the programmes were repeats. However it said everything should be back to normal on Monday. Obviously it appears not!

I did wonder how 3 craft channels would last on Freeview, considering the big names who Create & Craft and Hochanda have working with them.
  • Options
    hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    looks like it has ceased broadcasting on freeview according to a post on its facebook page
  • Options
    DavewwDaveww Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fine if channel has gone. Could this mean a proper entertainment channel takes the space or isn't it as easy as that .....
  • Options
    Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Yes, The Craft Channel has been removed confirmed by a signal check on COM8: http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Daveww wrote: »
    That's fine if channel has gone. Could this mean a proper entertainment channel takes the space or isn't it as easy as that .....

There was already space going begging on COM8 but nobody wants it.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, and posting the same question on two threads won't make it happen either.
  • Options
    westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Uninteresting what happens on COM 8 as so few can receive it.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    westone wrote: »
    Uninteresting what happens on COM 8 as so few can receive it.
    Roughly 70% coverage though obviously limited to those with DVB-T2 receivers.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to carry on getting rid of more rubbish on the platform and replace it with better things.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Roughly 70% coverage though obviously limited to those with DVB-T2 receivers.

70% population rather than geographical though. Reality is it is available to a smallish number of highly populated areas. A bit like BT who always use population coverage to mask the lack of physical coverage. Both measures are correct but population coverage does give a misleading idea of what I would accept as "real" coverage.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Both measures are correct but population coverage does give a misleading idea of what I would accept as "real" coverage.
    It's a lot less misleading than population coverage figures given by mobile phone companies. With mobile phones, geographical coverage is important; with Freeview, far less so as the vast majority will watch it in their houses with a fixed aerial.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    It's a lot less misleading than population coverage figures given by mobile phone companies. With mobile phones, geographical coverage is important; with Freeview, far less so as the vast majority will watch it in their houses with a fixed aerial.

That's true but there's still very large areas that cannot watch it that way. I just think it masks the true scale of what isn't covered if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    That's true but there's still very large areas that cannot watch it that way. I just think it masks the true scale of what isn't covered if that makes any sense.
    But you are forgetting it is a commercial operation. No-one is going to pay out for the extra 30% coverage if it is going to cost disproportionately more to achieve that.

By that I mean that the cost to cover the extra 30% is more than roughly half as much again as they are paying for 70% coverage. If it is going to cost, say, twice as much as it currently does then the extra income from advertising for the TV companies isn't going to cover the increased transmission costs.

Not to mention that with COM 7 & 8 there are added technical reasons for the reduced coverage, due to the very limited number of UHF channels they can use and the potential for mutual interference that could result. And of course they are not "permanent" either so all in all not much incentive to invest huge amounts to increase coverage significantly.
  • Options
    DavewwDaveww Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, and posting the same question on two threads won't make it happen either.

I'm sorry it was only to get the most people to see it and hopefully next year Freeview will go from strength to strength.....
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry it was only to get the most people to see it
    it doesn't work like that, is bad netiquette and causes confusion as to which post to respond to.
    hopefully next year Freeview will go from strength to strength.....
    Freeview has been going from strength to strength for some time and keeps running out of allocated space, be it EPG or mux space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can I ask how much it costs to broadcast through freeview and how this compares to Sky?