Cover versions better known than the originals

Comments

• dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    And the fact that Communards hideous version of Don't Leave Me This Way is better known by some that Teddys sublime original is horrific

In the run up to the referendum, Richard Coles tweeted a European Newspaper with the headline "Don't leave us this way"

There was a large number asking Richard if he would claim royalties :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    To be fair as a group I don't think eighth wonder had much to do with the song, as far as I am aware it was written for Patsy Kensit, rather than eighth wonder...it probably would have been more accurate to be released as a single by the Pet Shop Boys feat. Patsy Kensit....as she was the only member from the band that actually performed on the single.

My preference is J'ai pas peur

Most of my suggestions have already been taken but I don't remember seeing

Randy Newman/Joe Cocker/Tom Jones' "You Can Leave Your Hat On"
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pearl's A Singer - Elkie Brooks ( 1977 ) . Original release Dino & Sembello ( 1974 )
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always There by Incognito is better known than the Ronnie Laws original

Possibly As by George Micheal and Mary J Blige is better know the Stevie original

Is the Pink/Christina version of Lady Marmalade better known now?

Summer Breeze by The Isley Brothers is definitely better known than the original

Georgy Porgy by Eric Benet better known than the Toto version

And finally for now Got To Get You Into My Life by EW&F is better known than The Beatles original
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Summer Breeze by The Isley Brothers is definitely better known than the original

Interestingly I was discussing this with my wife a few weeks ago. She had never heard of the Isely Brothers version, she only knew the Seals and Crofts version. Whereas I only knew of the Isely Brothers version
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strawberry Letter 23 is better known by the Brothers Johnson than by Shuggy Otis, who wrote it and sang the original.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to nominate "I Drove All Night" which was a hit for Cyndi Lauper in 1989 and again for Roy Orbison, as a posthumous release, in 1992. However, which one would you class as the cover?
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mary j blige - i'm going down (originally by rose royce)
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a cover.

An original song that sampled a riff from an orchestral version of the Stones' song "The Last Time".

What's more, the riff that was sampled was composed by the orchestral version's arranger and not by MIck Jagger and Keith Richards, although they are the ones who receive some of the royalties for "Bittersweet Symphony" as copyright law does not favour arrangers.

Yes and the only reason why Jagger/Richards are credited is because Allen Klien originally gave permisson for the sample. However he then decided they used too much and so sued. I don't think that Jagger and Richards get much from it because they do not own the Stones pre 1971 songs. Allen Klien effectively stole those from the band. So his company gets the majority of the royalties.
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii Minogue - This is it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracey Ullman's They Don't Know is probably better known than Kirsty Maccoll's
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »

thats one thing waterman got right too.... ullmans version is far better imho, but thats probably due to its 60's esque production which i clearly like.
  • LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with many of them, but no way is Bananarama's version of "Venus" superior to the original by Shocking Blue.
    Not sure that anyone's saying it is superior, merely that it is better known. I'm sure many people looking at the list would have opinions about the superiority or not of particular versions.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeBoy19 wrote: »
    Not sure that anyone's saying it is superior, merely that it is better known. I'm sure many people looking at the list would have opinions about the superiority or not of particular versions.

I subsequently posted that I had misread the thread title as "better" rather than "better known".
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned I Will Always Love You by Whitney being better known than Dolly Parton's 1974 original which I prefer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Everything I Own? Written by David Gates of Bread who recorded the original but Ken Boothe in 1974 and Boy George in 1987 both took it to No.1. I always associate it with the reggae version by Ken Boothe.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Nina Persson's version of Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen. If you look it up on You Tube you will see a few derogatory comments from people comparing it unfavourably to versions by people such as Jennifer Warnes and Tori Amos, but they're completely missing the point. Nina's version is fragile and haunting, whereas the others are technically correct interpretations. I feel sure Cohen would have preferred Nina's version.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    dave2702 wrote: »

Breakaway as well.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "At Last" by Etta James, and later by Beyonce
    (Original version by the Glenn Miller Orchestra)

"Go Now" by the Moody Blues
    (Original version by Bessie Banks)

"A Groovy Kind Of Love" by the Mindbenders, and later by Phil Collins
    (Original version by Diane and Annita)

"Silence Is Golden" by the Tremeloes
    (Original version by the Four Seasons)

"Bend Me Shape Me" by Amen Corner
    (Original version by the Outsiders)

"My Way" by Frank Sinatra
    (Original version entitled "Comme D'Habitude" sung in French by Claude Francois)

"I Hear You Knocking" by Dave Edmunds
    (Original version by Smiley Lewis)

"Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks
    (Original version entitled "Le Moribond" sung in French by Jacques Brel)

"Let's Stick Together" by Bryan Ferry
    (Original version by Wilbert Harrison)

"Rivers Of Babylon" by Boney M
    (Original version by the Melodians)

"Knock On Wood" by Amii Stewart
    (Original version by Eddie Floyd)

"Chanson D'Amour" by Manhatten Transfer
    (Original version by Art and Dotty Todd)

"Duke Of Earl" by Darts
    (Original version by Gene Chandler)

"David Watts" by The Jam
    (Original version by the Kinks)

"I Fought The Law" by the Clash
    (Original version by the Crickets)

"Nellie The Elephant" by Toy Dolls
    (Original version by Mandy Miller)

"The Ole House" by Shakin' Stevens
    (Original version by Rosemary Clooney)

"Tears On My Pillow" by Kylie Minogue
    (Original version by Little Anthony and the Imperials)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Kylie' version, Sha Na Na's version of Tears... on the Grease soundtrack album was the most well known - used in the film when the procession was in progress before WZAZ Rydell OB went on air.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Before Kylie' version, Sha Na Na's version of Tears... on the Grease soundtrack album was the most well known - used in the film when the procession was in progress before WZAZ Rydell OB went on air.

The only one I know is the 1975 Johnny Nash one!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die (Cover of The Wings/Paul McCartney)

Has the balls and bravado that the original lacked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I know is the 1975 Johnny Nash one!

No, Johnny Nash's Tears On My Pillow is a different song to Kylie's.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die (Cover of The Wings/Paul McCartney)

Has the balls and bravado that the original lacked.

I don't think the GNR version is better known. Due to the originals Bond connection.