Portable TV Aerial

anon_privateanon_private Posts: 96
Forum Member
Hello,

I will be moving into a room shortly that does not have a TV point..

The main transmitter is about 5 miles away and the geographical features of the area include hills.

I am looking to take to the room the best portable aerial I can afford.

Can anyone recommend a good antenna.

Assume weak signals

Thanks

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

I will be moving into a room shortly that does not have a TV point..

The main transmitter is about 5 miles away and the geographical features of the area include hills.

I am looking to take to the room the best portable aerial I can afford.

Can anyone recommend a good antenna.

Assume weak signals

Thanks

Which side of the house is the room in relation to the transmitter direction ?

Does the room have modern low energy double glazing ?

Can you run a coax up a wall into a loft space ?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This always used to be the recommended indoor aerial

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IUC9CZ4/

The alternative might be a log periodic aerial as these tend to be more compact than the more conventional TV aerials so can be more easily hidden on top of a cupboard for example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raptor-LTE-Periodic-Digital-Antenna/dp/B016Y90NLQ/
  • anon_privateanon_private Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Which side of the house is the room in relation to the transmitter direction ?

Does the room have modern low energy double glazing ?

Can you run a coax up a wall into a loft space ?

At present, all I know is that the room does not have a tv point
    Don't know
    Almost certainly not
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    This always used to be the recommended indoor aerial

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IUC9CZ4/

Looks like I would also need to buy the cables as well as the antenna

The alternative might be a log periodic aerial as these tend to be more compact than the more conventional TV aerials so can be more easily hidden on top of a cupboard for example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raptor-LTE-Periodic-Digital-Antenna/dp/B016Y90NLQ/

This looks more like an external aerial, but could be used indoors.

I would prefer the former, if both worked equally well.

I wonder how the former would work in the absence of an amplifier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know the post code for the house? If so poke it into the DigitalUK website, tick the detailed view box and that will tell you the most likely transmitter for that property. It also gives a compass bearing to the transmitter. So you might be able to use something like Google maps to guestimate where the aerial would have to point and if it points through a window or several brick walls.

www.digitaluk.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks more like an external aerial, but could be used indoors.

I would prefer the former, if both worked equally well.

I wonder how the former would work in the absence of an amplifier?
    Both aerials will need cables. It depends on where the optimum position for the aerial is relative to your TV, you may get away with a half metre lead or need a 10m lead to trail all round the room.

The log periodic is an outdoor aerial primarily. But as it is a bit more compact than other types (no big reflector array at the back for example) it is a bit more discreet used indoors.

Amplification won't solve every problem. If the wanted signal is buried in the unwanted noise off the aerial then no amount of amplification will alter that. All you get is a stronger signal buried in stronger noise and just as unusable.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    What about wi-fi? Online services may be an alternative as all the main broadcasters provide them now. In which case an Android TV box may be a better buy than any portable aerial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    What about wi-fi? Online services may be an alternative as all the main broadcasters provide them now. In which case an Android TV box may be a better buy than any portable aerial.
    The OP is already asking about internet telly in the Broadband forum

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2189627

so looks like (s)he is considering this option if an aerial doesn't work out.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At present, all I know is that the room does not have a tv point
    Don't know
    Almost certainly not

Just look at the direction (and if horizontal or vertical) other houses in the vicinity are pointing. If you have a whole house between the room and the transmitter you are likely to have problems.

If the existing aerial point has a network connection then a IP based Freeview box like the V-Box could solve the problem.

http://www.vboxcomm.com/vbox-3rd-gen-tv-gateway?idx=bfad
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experience in bedsit land many years ago you will need an extension cable for the aerial as it seems they never work anywhere conveniently near the set, its called Sods Law.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the Maxview Truvision Indoor Aerial, although it actually works better when it is pointing upwards for some reason!

http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/maxview-truvision-indoor-aerial-805-p.asp
    Forum Member
    Than you for all the information.

There is another important point that I would like to raise.

Where I am living, the nearest transmitter is a 'Light' transmitter. The main transmitter gives a weak signal. I seem to get the best results from this transmitter when I point the aerial away from the transmitter, rather than in its direction.

Hence, I believe that I receive reflected signals that interact with the aerial nodes.

My point in raising this issue is this, would a log periodic aerial be the best antenna to use in the circumstances, or, would a broadband Yagi type be better, or, even an omnidirectional aerial?

I know, I need to use all to determine the best type of aerial, but I only want to buy one antenna.

I wonder which would be the best option?

Best wishes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Than you for all the information.

There is another important point that I would like to raise.

Where I am living, the nearest transmitter is a 'Light' transmitter. The main transmitter gives a weak signal. I seem to get the best results from this transmitter when I point the aerial away from the transmitter, rather than in its direction.

Hence, I believe that I receive reflected signals that interact with the aerial nodes.

My point in raising this issue is this, would a log periodic aerial be the best antenna to use in the circumstances, or, would a broadband Yagi type be better, or, even an omnidirectional aerial?

I know, I need to use all to determine the best type of aerial, but I only want to buy one antenna.

I wonder which would be the best option?

Best wishes
    If you have a weak direct signal and also reflected signals then an omni directional aerial is the worst possible type to use. The raw gain of the aerial is likely to be very low if it has any at all. And since it receives from all directions equally it will receive a mix of the direct and reflected signals which can interact in all sorts of unpredictable ways (usually not good).

There may not be a problem receiving a reflected signal rather than the direct signal from the transmitter. It only becomes a problem if the direct and reflected signals interfere with each other and cause partial cancellation. If one of the two is very weak and you can null it out using the directional characteristics of the aerial then you can minimise any effects.

If the reflected signal is actually the stronger of the two then provided it is reasonably stable it could be a useful way to receive the transmitter. You don't always need a direct signal.

Whether you need a Yagi or a Log Periodic type aerial depends on the signal conditions. Logs tend to have lower gain than a similar size yagi so signal strength may well determine what size and type of aerial you can get away with. Logs tend to have a tighter reception pattern so can be useful for rejecting unwanted signals from other directions.

Basically there is no easy answer as to what is the best aerial to use. Every location is different, even two houses next to each other can have different reception conditions! The only way to know for certain what aerial will work best is to try it and see. A good local aerial installer should have a reasonable idea, based on experience and local knowledge, about what aerials work best in a particular location.