Grey's Anatomy: Season 11?

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
Does anyone know when can we expect any news if Grey's Anatomy is going to get a season 11?

I really hope the current season 10 is not the last even though actress Sandra Oh who plays Cristina Yang is leaving at the end of the new series.

Grey's Anatomy is the best US medical drama and it would be a shame if it to end after this season :(

By the way I can't watch the new series when it returns on sky living in the next few days as I haven't seen season 8 and 9 and I am going to watch season 8 dvd premiere tonight :)

And also I am going to buy season 9 when it comes out to add to my Grey's Anatomy dvd boxsets collection as I have season 1 to 8 :D

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After season 8, all the current cast signed on for a further two seasons. So by next year, there will likely be negotiations for season 11. The show is still a great performer for ABC so they wouldn't have the nerve to cancel it. I just hope we don't lose any more of the originals, personally.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise Greys isn't returning to Sky Living this week it's not in the TV schedules anywhere neither have Living done any promos to say its back on screen any time soon :(
  • Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    You do realise Greys isn't returning to Sky Living this week it's not in the TV schedules anywhere neither have Living done any promos to say its back on screen any time soon :(

Really? been told it's back this week :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    They have no plans to end the show and both Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey have said they are interested in continuing with the show, so things look good for a season 11 but nothing will be confirmed until next year.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    They have no plans to end the show and both Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey have said they are interested in continuing with the show, so things look good for a season 11 but nothing will be confirmed until next year.

I think if Ellen was to quit it would influence their decision to keep going. It wouldn't be the same without Mer, going to be weird enough without Christina. I think they'll keep it going though. It's still getting good enough ratings.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless Shonda wants to end the show then it'll keep going, I can't see ABC dropping it as it still does well in the ratings although I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it's timeslot.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Unless Shonda wants to end the show then it'll keep going, I can't see ABC dropping it as it still does well in the ratings although I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it's timeslot.

This is it - it's one of the highest rated shows on US television so there's no danger of it being cancelled any time soon.

I actually think that if Ellen Pompeo did decide to leave, it could potentially make it quite interesting as they'd have to look at taking the show in a different direction which could be the spark it needs.

Look at how Ted Danson has, in my humble opinion, revitalised CSI. If they got the right person, the same could certainly happen with Greys.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is it - it's one of the highest rated shows on US television so there's no danger of it being cancelled any time soon.

I actually think that if Ellen Pompeo did decide to leave, it could potentially make it quite interesting as they'd have to look at taking the show in a different direction which could be the spark it needs.

Look at how Ted Danson has, in my humble opinion, revitalised CSI. If they got the right person, the same could certainly happen with Greys.

Ted Danson certainly has turned CSI around, but I do feel this year will be the last because the other two have gone.

If Ellen did leave the show could still be workable. Even if she made appareances.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already going to hard enough with Cristina so Meredith leaving ESPECIALLY since she is the last Grey and that's what the show is named after, wouldn't really work I don't think.
    However I think they are prepared for multiple cast departures hence why they've promoted all the interns into bigger roles.
    Having said that though they made a huge announcement on Sandra Oh leaving, she is probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest character in the show so if Ellen was leaving they certainly would have announced that already imo.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I think if Ellen was to quit it would influence their decision to keep going. It wouldn't be the same without Mer, going to be weird enough without Christina. I think they'll keep it going though. It's still getting good enough ratings.

It think I would probably find it a lot more enjoyable.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a very conscious decision to put the name 'Grey' in the hospital name incase Meredith does leave.

However, Ellen Pompeo has been quite honest about wanting to keep the steady income. Patrick wants more free time. I expect that we'll keep Ellen and Patrick indefinitely but perhaps they wont appear in every episodes (maybe miss 3 or 4) or the rest of the ensemble will carry the weight in a bulk of episodes allowing them a less heavy shooting schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    It's already going to hard enough with Cristina so Meredith leaving ESPECIALLY since she is the last Grey and that's what the show is named after, wouldn't really work I don't think.
    However I think they are prepared for multiple cast departures hence why they've promoted all the interns into bigger roles.
    Having said that though they made a huge announcement on Sandra Oh leaving, she is probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest character in the show so if Ellen was leaving they certainly would have announced that already imo.

Ellen might not have decided yet whether she's leaving or not.. .Ellen, Patrick, Sandra, Justin, Chandra and JPJ are all contracted to the end of Season 10 so there will be negotiations with them coming soon.

So while Sandra has already decided that this will be her last season and we know we're losing Cristina, we could still lose any (or even all :eek:) of Derek, Meredith, Alex, Bailey and Webber.

I doubt Ellen is likely to leave though as she hasn't really expressed much of an interest in a movie career (a la Katherine Heigl) and IMO her acting skills aren't great so I don't think she'd be massively in demand (unlike Sandra who definitely will be) if she did leave.

Patrick does want more free time for his racing but one of the benefits of having such a large cast at the moment is that Patrick (and Ellen if she wants it) can have less scenes so more time to do their own things.

If she ever did go I wouldn't miss Meredith's character but I would miss her voiceovers...
    Forum Member
    But the big question is if Ellen Pompeo decided to leave her role as Meredith could the show survive without her?

Or if she wants to leave could the producer Shonda Rhimes end the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »
    But the big question is if Ellen Pompeo decided to leave her role as Meredith could the show survive without her?

Or if she wants to leave could the producer Shonda Rhimes end the show.

For me the show could easily survive without her as IMO she's the least interesting character there (not including the interns) and I think that Callie, Arizona, Alex & Bailey can carry the show... Could the show survive if everyone whose contract is up at the end of season 10 decides to leave? Probably not.

I think Shonda will end the show when she runs out of story to tell, not when any particular character leaves, but given that Shonda has shown she can write pretty much anything into the show (however unrealistic) I don't see her ending it anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    For me the show could easily survive without her as IMO she's the least interesting character there (not including the interns) and I think that Callie, Arizona, Alex & Bailey can carry the show... Could the show survive if everyone whose contract is up at the end of season 10 decides to leave? Probably not.

I think Shonda will end the show when she runs out of story to tell, not when any particular character leaves, but given that Shonda has shown she can write pretty much anything into the show (however unrealistic) I don't see her ending it anytime soon.

I am currently on season 8 episode 5 dvd and going to watch it shortly but to be honest don't really care about Meredith because she has got boring :yawn:

But what I am confused about is why she hates Owen so much? is it because he might upset her best friend cristina?

Like you said, the show could carry on with Alex, Callie, owen, miranda Bailey, Arizona and Richard and maybe Derek if he stays. :)
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »

I wonder how many people tune in every week to find out what's going on with Meredith? My guess is not many.

The show can survive without her; but I'm not sure it can survive if the writing continues to be as poor as it was in season 9.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,148
    Forum Member
    I don't think it'll end soon but I also don't think it'll survive long if all the originals don't renew. I don't like Meredith and don't pay attention to her scenes without Christina.
    I know Christina is gone next year but the show could survive as Callie/Arizona, Richard, Bailey, little bit Alex if he splits from the girl that looks a bit like Lexie, are all still interesting enough.
    I liked Jackson/April too until that dumb Jesus thing. (btw no offense to religious people it's just the writing of that storyline made no sense)
    If they were to try and continue the show with the new interns I'd say it's a sinking ship not one of them is interesting. They've been in a year and so far I don't know their names
    Forum Member
    Wow I have just watched episode 10 when Henry died (well he died in episode 9) so you know what I mean. :D

But episode 10 was the most saddest episode when Teddy visit henry's dead body and the music came on, it was very sad indeed :(

It neally bought a tear to my eye and that's coming from a guy :o