Options

Why were the extended members of the moon family such failures

EE94EE94 Posts: 159
Forum Member
with the exception of Jake,Michael and Nana all extended members of Alfie's family have turned out to be complete failures why do you think that is and should they try to revitalise the moons one last time with Frankie and Colleen Moon and there is also Jake's dad Bobby Moon or maybe even a Jake return or do you think DTC should focus on reviving the Slaters instead of the Moons

Comments

• Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Focus on the Slaters.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE94 wrote: »
    with the exception of Jake,Michael and Nana all extended members of Alfie's family have turned out to be complete failures why do you think that is and should they try to revitalise the moons one last time with Frankie and Colleen Moon and there is also Jake's dad Bobby Moon or maybe even a Jake return or do you think DTC should focus on reviving the Slaters instead of the Moons

Michael was ok, and yes I agree the revival of the slaters is something id do STRAIGHT AWAY if I was running the show! Iconic soap family! He should get back Derek Martin and Gillian wright, and try and persuade rob kazinsky to return as he is good friends with the actor.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    You really do have to wonder why they brought in a whole new Moon family when the Moons had already had their day in the mid-noughties. It's very telling that Alfie has had a total of nine characters brought in as his family members and only two of them made any kind of lasting impression (Nana and Michael).
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Essex was not bad as Eddie but he was never going to stay that long in the show but his Sons were dreadful Actors cast only for their looks.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I liked David Essex as Eddie but I could take or leave Anthony and Tyler and Danny and Jake and I never warmed to Michael.

I did love Nana and Spencer though!
  • Options
    BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nana Moon, Michael Moon and Jake Moon were the only ones I liked... Jake comeback please.

Danny Moon was good to but seemed to have an obvious shelf live.

Alfie Moon
    Kat Moon
    Bert Moon
    Ernie Moon
    Tommy Moon
    Nana Moon
    Spencer Moon
    Michael Moon
    Scarlett Moon
    Jake Moon
    Danny Moon
    Eddie Moon
    Tyler Moon
    Anthony Moon
    Craig Moon
    Maxwell Moon
    Roxy Mitchell
    Janine Butcher
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    We don't need any more additions to that family. It works well as a unit as it is in my view.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    BEcause in most oart they were i'll conceived characters with no thought to how they actually fitted into the family tree (how did Nana Moon have so many grandchildren all called Moon when her husband died having fathered only one child with her - Alfie's Dad) and played by actors cast only for their looks?!?

Michael rose above the pact because he was played by a personable actor who had the sense to play against the 'cockney, wide boy' role he'd been given and the writers started responding to it and giving him funny lines, a decent back story and teamed him with the most interesting character in the show - Janine.

Jake was also played by a decent actor and they put him with Chrissie.

Otheer than that I forget it.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They weren't full Moons.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    BEcause in most oart they were i'll conceived characters with no thought to how they actually fitted into the family tree (how did Nana Moon have so many grandchildren all called Moon when her husband died having fathered only one child with her - Alfie's Dad) and played by actors cast only for their looks?!?

Michael rose above the pact because he was played by a personable actor who had the sense to play against the 'cockney, wide boy' role he'd been given and the writers started responding to it and giving him funny lines, a decent back story and teamed him with the most interesting character in the show - Janine.

Agreed they were all ill conceived characters lacking personality and substance played by terrible actors. David Essex was an atrocious actor and woefully miscast as the supposedly strong patriarch of the new family. He only last 5 minutes as well which didn't help. The man is not an actor and has openly admitted he only joined EE to boost his profile to promote his upcoming world tour and auto biography and had no intention of sticking with the show. So why they give the role to him in the fist place is a mystery. Anthony and Tyler actors were hired solely on their looks, billed as 'ladies men' and not much else.

Their relationship to Alfie was also really silly. It was long established Nana Moon lost her husband during WW2 (they even did a flashback episode focussing on it) at which time she was pregnant with her one and only child - Alfie's father. So in order to introduce more Moons they had to go further up the family tree and introduce the others as the grandchildren of Alfie's grandfathers bother (Jake and Danny). And in the case of Michael, Tyler and Anthony the great-grandchildren of another of Alfie's grandfathers brothers. It was such a tenuous link how many people out their live with their grandfathers brothers great-grandchildren? They should have made Eddie the brother of Alfie's mother and therefore making his kids Alfie's first cousins but then they would have to have thought up a new surname for them which would appear to be too much effort.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I miss Michael. :(
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I liked Jake, Nana, Spencer, Michael, Eddie and Craig.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

Nana only had one child, that has never been disputed. When a Maxwell Moon was introduced it was said that Alfie's grandfather William had a brother who was Maxwells grandfather. When jake and Danny turned up it was said they were the grandchildren of Williams other brother. William had yet another brother who was created to be Michaels grandfather. So these four Moon brothers all had a son, each son had sons of their own. I think Frankie Moon is the only female Moon to be born into that family for generations.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above, they were miscast and given little to do aside from chasing skirt in the most cringey way possible (Anthony and Tyler.) The patriarch was seemed a bit more liked than them, but David Essex didn't stick around. I think both Anthony and Tyler had their best (and that's not a compliment in any way) when Eddie was in the show and they suffered with his departure.

Jake and Danny didn't match Alfie's popularity in his original stint but they were (IMO) decent characters. Danny didn't do much, but that was because Kathleen Hutchison decided to get rid of them, before they were given reprieves by Harwood, Danny's being only brief. Alfie wasn't great during Jessie Wallace's maternity leave and the affair with Little Mo was dire, but it would have been a lot worse if Jake and Danny weren't around. There was a little more exploration of Alfie's past and they also took a dislike to Andy and had the storyline with Johnny to give him more to do.

Besides the casting and direction issues of the Kirkwood set of Moons, who clearly didn't have a clue because he was billing Anthony and Tyler as the new Phil and Grant and Whitney and Tyler as the new Kat and Alfie (odd, given he was hell bent on destroying the original) the problem was in how far retconned
  • Options
    issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Michael was brilliant. Nana Moon was a darling.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above, they were miscast and given little to do aside from chasing skirt in the most cringey way possible (Anthony and Tyler.) The patriarch was seemed a bit more liked than them, but David Essex didn't stick around. I think both Anthony and Tyler had their best (and that's not a compliment in any way) when Eddie was in the show and they suffered with his departure. They were the biggest failures because they were brought in with claims that were clearly never going to happen - Tyler and Anthony the new Phil and Grant and Whitney and Tyler the new Kat and Alfie (strange, given he was hell bent on destroying the original.)

Jake and Danny didn't match Alfie's popularity in his original stint but they were (IMO) decent characters. Danny didn't do much, but that was because Kathleen Hutchison decided to get rid of them, before they were given reprieves by Harwood, Danny's being only brief. Alfie wasn't great during Jessie Wallace's maternity leave and the affair with Little Mo was dire, but it would have been a lot worse if Jake and Danny weren't around. There was a little more exploration of Alfie's past and they also took a dislike to Andy, plus had the storyline with Johnny to give Alfie more to do.

I think the worst thing about the continued extensions was how badly retconned the original story became. When Alfie was introduced, he, Nana and Spencer had no one else in the world. Maxwell was not a main character and clearly a plot device, so the invention of a brother for William was forgivable. Jake and Danny stretched that further, but it was perhaps understandable that he hadn't mentioned them as they were involved in him going to prison. Eddie and co. were just taking it one too far when Alfie's family situation had already been done. Yet another brother of William's was invented, this time nameless. There was a mention of a cousin Eddie in 2003, but the Eddie that eventually arrived didn't fit with that. Nana Moon mentioned not being sure whether it was Alfie or Eddie that wanted a remote control car when they were little. I know she was a bit ditzy at times, but she wouldn't have confused that as Eddie was 16 years older than Alfie. If they really had to go down the sensationalist Kat returns pregnant by Alfie's cousin route, Steve John Shepherd should have played Eddie and that should have been it for Alfie's family, rather than retconning Eddie's age to shove another generation in.

I think viewers might have been more interested had they shown a female of the Moons. Nana was no more a Moon than what Kat is. Yet they seem to have an aversion to there ever being female Moons. Frankie remained unseen, and despite already having a son on screen, Kat ends up with another two rather than them introducing a female Moon in the twins. Almost every other time in soap, it seems to be that families have children of both genders. Had Scarlett not followed the births of three consecutive boys, I bet she'd have been a boy as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    We don't need any more additions to that family. It works well as a unit as it is in my view.

I still want Alfie and Mo to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    issy17 wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I still want Alfie and Mo to leave.

Why would you want them to leave. Kat and Alfie are the currently the most popular and successful EE couple. We have Mick and Linda as well now but they haven't been in the show long enough to compete.

We've already lost Ricky and Bianca, Zainab and Masood, Max and Tanya and Dot and Jim.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    issy17 wrote: »

completely agree. Jake was great as well.

Tyler and Anthony on the other hand. .... abysmal is too generous
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor actors, maybe. Or perhaps focussing one the wrong moons
    Why not bring spencer back or do we even know anything about Alfie's mum and dad?
    Eddie was great and was gutted David Essex only did a short stint but going by his interviews since, i doubt he will return ever again.

Michael was fab though. One of the best male characters EE has done in a long time. I think the direction for him was one of the few decent things Lorraine newman did.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Kat and Alfie are the currently the most popular and successful EE couple.

Given the fact that they're the only married couple outside of Mick and Linda that's not saying much. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Nana only had one child, that has never been disputed. When a Maxwell Moon was introduced it was said that Alfie's grandfather William had a brother who was Maxwells grandfather. When jake and Danny turned up it was said they were the grandchildren of Williams other brother. William had yet another brother who was created to be Michaels grandfather. So these four Moon brothers all had a son, each son had sons of their own. I think Frankie Moon is the only female Moon to be born into that family for generations.

A conversion between Alfie and Eddie established that Eddie was Alfie's second cousin not Michael. So it was Eddies grandad (Michaels great-grandad) that was the brother of William Moon. So Michael, Tyler and Anthony are a generation beneath Alfie, spencer, jake and Danny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Given the fact that they're the only married couple outside of Mick and Linda that's not saying much. :D

True. but even if you count the non married couples ....Sharon/Phil, Jay/Abi, Lee/Whitney, Tina/Tosh and Roxy/Aleks they're still head and shoulders above any of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Technically the show only has one married couple at present and that's Les and Pam. Kat and Alfie, even though they refer to each other as husband and wife, are actually divorced and Mick and Linda have never got married and again just refer to themselves as husband and wife even though they technically aren't.