Options

Moving to Mac from PC

2»

Comments

• Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Mac keyboard or "Windows" keyboard? While any old keyboard should work with a Mac you may have to mentally re-map some of the keys as some are in different places on a Mac keyboard.

Bluetooth Keyboard. I've been using it with my iPad Mini for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Bluetooth Keyboard. I've been using it with my iPad Mini for a couple of years now.

I was thinking more about the layout of the keys, for example Shift 2 on an Apple keyboard is @ while on a "windows" UK keyboard it's "
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Select the UK Windows/PC keyboard option in the settings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think that 'Moving from PC to Mac' was a better title? For one second I was tempted to get the popcorn out.

Had enough of the insomnia now. :(
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Has anyone made the change recently? Any thoughts?

I'm considering buying a Mini Mac (£500 ish) - but for the same price I can get a better PC specs wise. I'm tempted to try a Mac though as my PC's always die after 2 or 3 years, I'm hoping the Mac is more reliable.

But a bet hesitant ...would welcome any views

If you tried it out and liked it, that's a good enough reason to get it - assuming, of course, that you can afford it. Macs have a good reputation for reliability because Apple controls all aspects of manufacture and they only fit quality components. My iMac will celebrate its fifth birthday in June and it is still going strong. It isn't perfect, though. Any computer can crash, and Macs are not excepted from that. Hard drives can fail, and they are not excepted from that either. They do have the best after-sales service in the industry, but it isn't free.

When my iMac finally cashes in its chips (and it is showing no signs of doing so yet), I may not be able to afford to buy another one, so I would happily settle for a Mac Mini instead. It would be more than capable of doing everything that I require. You can use any USB keyboard or mouse with it, or the Apple bluetooth equivalents. I can confirm from experience that the Apple bluetooth keyboard is a delight to type on. I write novels, so I do a fair bit of typing. I recently added the Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse the machine came with. Generally speaking, I like that too.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you tried it out and liked it, that's a good enough reason to get it - assuming, of course, that you can afford it. Macs have a good reputation for reliability because Apple controls all aspects of manufacture and they only fit quality components. My iMac will celebrate its fifth birthday in June and it is still going strong. It isn't perfect, though. Any computer can crash, and Macs are not excepted from that. Hard drives can fail, and they are not excepted from that either. They do have the best after-sales service in the industry, but it isn't free.

When my iMac finally cashes in its chips (and it is showing no signs of doing so yet), I may not be able to afford to buy another one, so I would happily settle for a Mac Mini instead. It would be more than capable of doing everything that I require. You can use any USB keyboard or mouse with it, or the Apple bluetooth equivalents. I can confirm from experience that the Apple bluetooth keyboard is a delight to type on. I write novels, so I do a fair bit of typing. I recently added the Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse the machine came with. Generally speaking, I like that too.

I think the memory that Apple uses for the Mac Mini, and maybe the iMac as well, is made by Samsung. If you choose an Apple SSD, that's probably Samsung as well. The processor's made by Intel.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Macs have a good reputation for reliability because Apple controls all aspects of manufacture and they only fit quality components.
    Back when Macs shipped with optical drives they tended to opt for those nasty Matsushita jobs. I wouldn't call these quality components at all.

Strictly speaking the only unique component is the casing and the peripherals. Everything else is standard 3rd party kit you can find in any other PC or laptop, albeit the mac equivalent sometimes has custom firmware applied.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macs can fail - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/20/hey_fanbois_stuck_with_a_busted_macbook_pro_apple_might_fix_it_for_free/

theres no actual magic that makes it better than a normal machine unless you think wearing a black turtleneck helps ;)

Apple does have a very good CS and thats probably why it helps the view as in that if something goes wrong they just replace it since you've paid so much for the hardware its hardly surprising be it any part of the iEmpire
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the cards breaking after a couple of years? They should last 5 years+ the only reason for replacing them should be because they can't keep up with current titles.

If the fans are going like the clappers then there is a reason have you checked the GPU temps with something like GPU Z? Whats the airflow like through the case? Sounds like you may have a problem with overheating or possibly PSU.

If you're thinking of plenty of game titles for the Mac, forget it.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I switched to Mac in 2004 and I upgraded in 2010, not because I needed to, I just wanted to. I've never had a problem with either iMac, absolute pleasure to use. I'm glad I made the change, I will never go back.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Why are the cards breaking after a couple of years? They should last 5 years+ the only reason for replacing them should be because they can't keep up with current titles.

If the fans are going like the clappers then there is a reason have you checked the GPU temps with something like GPU Z? Whats the airflow like through the case? Sounds like you may have a problem with overheating or possibly PSU.

If you're thinking of plenty of game titles for the Mac, forget it.

There definitely aren't as many, and the Mac gaming market barely follows the PC/Console market and then at some considerable time distance.

Many classic games do get ported, such as Total War series, Civilisation series. and CounterStrike series. The Mac Apps store is full of games and Steam has quite a selection.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    There definitely aren't as many, and the Mac gaming market barely follows the PC/Console market and then at some considerable time distance.

Many classic games do get ported, such as Total War series, Civilisation series. and CounterStrike series. The Mac Apps store is full of games and Steam has quite a selection.

Unless you do as I have and have a Windows partition just for gaming.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Back when Macs shipped with optical drives they tended to opt for those nasty Matsushita jobs. I wouldn't call these quality components at all.

You know that Matsushita are Panasonic ? One of the most trusted names in electronics.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    You know that Matsushita are Panasonic ? One of the most trusted names in electronics.
    I do and while their overall reputation in electronics may be good, my personal experience with their optical drives has been horrendous. They are slow, noisey and the laser appears to be incapable of burning discs at anywhere near their quoted speeds even with decent media. The lenses also appear to have a great deal of struggle reading dual layer discs. This isn't a Mac specific thing - a lot of laptops shipped with these drives too and it was a similar deal.

If you were lucky you would get one of the Pioneer drives but the Matsushita ones were far more common.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »

Strictly speaking the only unique component is the casing and the peripherals. Everything else is standard 3rd party kit you can find in any other PC or laptop, albeit the mac equivalent sometimes has custom firmware applied.

I remember having a Matsushita floppy drive in my Amiga, noisy thing, but I must admit it lasted.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    macs can fail - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/20/hey_fanbois_stuck_with_a_busted_macbook_pro_apple_might_fix_it_for_free/

theres no actual magic that makes it better than a normal machine unless you think wearing a black turtleneck helps ;)

Apple does have a very good CS and thats probably why it helps the view as in that if something goes wrong they just replace it since you've paid so much for the hardware its hardly surprising be it any part of the iEmpire

I don't think anyone is saying they can't fail, but they do seem to last longer than a normal PC.