Anthony Ainley
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Roger Delgado, for me
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 vote for John Simm, loved his portrayal of the character however I do rate Anthony Ainley so if I had a 1/2 vote on top of my actual vote, he'd have got it :D
  • rip & striprip & strip Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    You missed Geoffrey Beevers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Jacobi! He was really quite scary in the role!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehehehehehehehe.......it has to be Anthony Ainley, just for that evil chuckle.......:D
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    AA for me, the last time the Master actually LOOKED like the Master imho!

Its a shame DJ wasn't given more of a run as the Master...his performance was just superb and out acted all the others, again imho!

John Simm was very disappointing for me, he played the Master less as a genius intergalactic criminal and more as a complete sociopathic madman and I didn't like that at all.

The Doctor, to a degree, could reason with and relate to both RD ands AA versions but not Simm's version!
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love bot RD nad JS as much as each other, so I just went with Simm
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Roger was the best. Anthony was my Master. His naughty and vindictive chuckle was chilling and still is.
  • Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with almost all of you Roger was my personal favourite but AA with that evil laugh was great also
  • Stevief86Stevief86 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    John Simm gets my vote. Thought his performance was sublime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    John SIMM was dreadful - even worse than Eric Roberts.

Derek jacobi was great - but alas only 10 mins of him.

AA for me.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only really seen Jacobi and Simm's Masters, so I voted for Jacobi. I really wish he played the role for longer, but I'm assuming that he only wanted to do one episode, hence the abrupt regeneration.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say RD or AA. Peter Pratt was an interesting look!

I hated John Sims portrayal. I hope if he appears again it will be a different actor.
  • Just JeremyJust Jeremy Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    It has to be Roger Delgado with Anthony Ainley a close second.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    AA for me, the last time the Master actually LOOKED like the Master imho!

No no. The Master really looked like Peter Pratt or Geoff Beevers (why isn't he in the poll?). Such lovely faces. I imagine the lady time lords back on Gallifrey would be swooning after them.
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Derek is 3rd dispite only playing The Master for what, 10 minutes? XD
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    The one that most affected me was PP in Deadly Assassin. It didn't help that my older cousin had the video back when I was quite young. Even the video case scared me. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know AA is my fave, but have to give credit to Roger Delgado who I thought was a superb Master. When you watch him being charming alongside his villainy and then watch John Simm, you often wonder if they are even the same character. Just a shame he didn't get the proper send off he desired.

Still don't know how he clicked his fingers while wearing gloves though, must be a Time Lord Trick! :D
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Roger Delgado, the original and best!
    BTW Donk25 you've put up a poll where you can vote for more than one option. I assume you didn't intend to!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Delgado.
  • UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Only my opinion but I thought Ainley was too pantomime.
    Roger Delgado was magnificent.
    I'd love to see Jacobi do another turn as the Master. In the ridiculously short time and with only the few words he had to say in character, he made a real impression
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only my opinion but I thought Ainley was too pantomime.
    Roger Delgado was magnificent.
    I'd love to see Jacobi do another turn as the Master. In the ridiculously short time and with only the few words he had to say in character, he made a real impression

To be fair, it was only during the middle eighties that he became that way. You watch the Season 18/19 stories he appeared in and Survival he is a lot more menacing.

Agree with you about Derek Jacobi though. He was much more convincing as The Master and a lot closer to the original characterisation as well.

• Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Roger Delgado, the original and best!
    BTW Donk25 you've put up a poll where you can vote for more than one option. I assume you didn't intend to!

No I did this because I am aware most people will have more than one favourite giving them the chance for their first and second choices :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very easy one for me because the only one I really like is Roger Delgado. Anthony Ainley was too much a pantomime imitation of Delgado and the later ones have just been poorly conceived.

I did like the 'Skeletor' version in the Deadly Assassin (I don't remember which actors were which from this stage; is he Peter Pratt or Geoffrey Beevers?). That was interesting to see all of the Master's vanity stripped away and to just see the animal (so to speak) beneath. But I thought the character then just became a cackling madman in 'Keeper of Traken'.