Sky versus Virgin - where should I go?

I've been a Sky subscriber for 2 years, and previously I was with NTL. I was glad to get rid of NTL because I had constant technical faults and they struck me as pretty amateurish in their customer service. However, I'm now tempted to go back to Virgin Media, and I'd be grateful for any advice as to which is the best provider for me.

The phone and broadband are not important to me - as long as they work, and they're cheap, I'm happy. On TV, I only ever watch films and sport. But I'm really tempted by the V+ or Sky+ box.

So, what I basically want is Setanta and a Plus box at a minimum - ideally, Sky Sports as well. I've rung both companies and Virgin can do it cheaper - but are there still technical issues with their service? Is there any chance I can get a Sky + box out of Sky on the cheap instead?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I suggest you read this thread first and if you have any more questions, then post here :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=861535
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Romanista wrote: »
    I was glad to get rid of NTL because I had constant technical faults and they struck me as pretty amateurish in their customer service.

There have been changes in content available (some removals and some additions) in the past couple of years, but reliability and customer service has not really changed.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically if your interested in HD or sky1 then sky is your best bet but if your interested in just what you said your better off with Virgin.

If Virgin offered the same HD content as sky and also had the sky basics back it would wipe the floor with sky.
  • Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    Sky for HD/Sky One
    Virgin for VOD/Free repairs
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,582
    Forum Member
    ... and cheaper prices ;)
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Virgin and my parents have Sky and indeed had Sky for the many years I lived there.

In the old days I'd say that Sky was light years away but now they'r neck and neck by offering different kinds of service:

Essentially, if you want the best PVR out there and hundreds of hours of OnDemand stuff then get Virgin.

Alternatively if you want a TV service with a faster interface (to change channels) and Interactive features then get Sky.

Personally speaking I found the interactive features on Sky more than a gimmick really and although it's quicker to change channels. I really couldn't do without the ability to record 2 programs at once (whilst watching another) or have reams and reams of OnDemand stuff that I get with Virgin.

Havent' compared their Broadband services because whilst I think Virgin do a cracking job with this, so do Sky because my parents have never had issues and whenever I'v used it, its seemed fast enough when surfing the web.
    Forum Member
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    I really couldn't do without the ability to record 2 programs at once (whilst watching another)

Agreed it is useful. Mind you, I have never been in the position that I wanted to see 3 things on at the same time on 3 different channels that at least one of which is not available on Freeview or analogue. Must just be my usage.
    Forum Member
    Thursday 11th, 9pm:
    ITV2: ... Call Girl
    Living: Grey's Anatomy
    E4: Samantha Who

Now, of course, some are repeated, or on +1's but there's one example :D
    Forum Member
    Thursday 11th, 9pm:

Both ITV2 and E4 are on Freeview though. As are ITV2+1 and E4+1. And VM and Sky also have Living+1.

It all comes down to taste and what channels people watch, but from my point of view I am surprised that people rave about the third tuner. Now if I could use it for planned recordings.....
    Forum Member
    goomba wrote: »
    Both ITV2 and E4 are on Freeview though. As are ITV2+1 and E4+1. And VM and Sky also have Living+1.
    Well I did mention +1s etc. ;)
    It all comes down to taste and what channels people watch..
    Absolutely. I was just giving one example where I would find three tuners useful :)
    Now if I could use it for planned recordings.....
    I think you will be able to; eventually. At some point. Maybe :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 11th, 9pm:

Good example:D, 2 fta Freeview channels and a paytv one, seeing as how you won't be watching all 3 at the same time, which channel will you be watching 'live, or 'almostlive' :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will be able to; eventually. At some point. Maybe :D

But not yet?;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can have a dish put on your wall then id say go for Sky, Virgin are nothing but a terrible service provider, with one of the worst customer service lines EVER and they will try get more and more money out of you by adding costs to your bill that really should not be there, Virgin Media are a nightmare that i hope to leave VERY soon :mad:

Also with Sky you know you have loads of freeview channels for life with them, yet if virgin cut your tv off when they say you not paid something but you really have you dont even have all the channels on freeview.
    Loads more Entertainment on Sky TV. Belive In Better , SKY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and cheaper prices ;)
    As long as you don't count the ones that are more expensive. :D
    Forum Member
    Which ones would those be then?

Basic Package:
    Sky £28 (1 Mix + Phone)
    VM £11 (M Package + Phone)

Top Package:
    Sky £33 (6 mix + Phone)
    VM £33 (XL TV + Phone)*

* Not that anyone pays the top price. Any discounts with Sky for just TV and phone?
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy for providers who only bundle products (Sky) to 'appear' to offer cheaper prices than those who offer products as both standalone and bundle (Virgin).

But no-one pays the full standalone price for everything they buy. Who gets offered buy one get one free on Pepsi and only takes one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media is just the poor mans Sky, if you can not have dish on wall your stuck with cable which sucks . most virgin media workers need a good slap in the face
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really funny because I have the largest satellite dish I can install without planning permission.

Yet, I recognise the value of products both to myself and others, can can recognise that Virgin offer a valuable service to some on some levels but not necessarily myself on all.

www.bt.com
    www.sky.com
    insert your own ISP link

There really are others out there if you REALLY want so why are you wasting our time with your Sky "believe in broadband limited to 16 meg" propoganda.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Belive In Better , SKY

OMFG:D
    Forum Member
    most virgin media workers need a good slap in the face

What a silly and pathetic comment to make.:rolleyes:
    That just makes your posts look totally uncreditable.
    Forum Member
    Sirius wrote: »
    That's really funny because I have the largest satellite dish I can install without planning permission.

Yet, I recognise the value of products both to myself and others, can can recognise that Virgin offer a valuable service to some on some levels but not necessarily myself on all.

www.bt.com
    www.sky.com
    insert your own ISP link

There really are others out there if you REALLY want so why are you wasting our time with your Sky "believe in broadband limited to 16 meg" propoganda.

I like that the fact that you are so well balanced and on the fence inregards to providers.
    I don't get the blatant favourtism towards providers, they only provide you with a service and they take your money for the privellage. I would be a different story if they offered it you for free! I just don't get it at all. I have never said i hate Sky but people have just assumed i do because i am happy with VM and post the pros. But i have always said i am on the fence and that both companies offer good service but it's all about personal preference. I don't understand people who won't acknowledge that another person might be happy or unhappy and might have a different opinion of the service from themselves and they discredit other peoples opinions. Fair enough debate if you think some one is posting incorrect information but why start a VS thread?
    Forum Member
    Which ones would those be then?

Basic Package:
    Sky £28 (1 Mix + Phone)
    VM £11 (M Package + Phone)

Top Package:
    Sky £33 (6 mix + Phone)
    VM £33 (XL TV + Phone)*

* Not that anyone pays the top price. Any discounts with Sky for just TV and phone?

You appear to have forgotten about broadband for some reason ;)
    Forum Member
    You appear to have forgotten about broadband for some reason ;)

Surely because that wouldn't be a fair comparison seeing as he hasn't mentioned Sky's bb either. Plus Sky offer their lower tier bb free to their tv customers.
    Forum Member
    tvtimes wrote: »
    Surely because that wouldn't be a fair comparison seeing as he hasn't mentioned Sky's bb either. Plus Sky offer their lower tier bb free to their tv customers.

Well quite, and that is why I mentioned it. He mentioned the package that Sky do, but left out the fact that it comes with broadband.
    Forum Member
    Well quite, and that is why I mentioned it. He mentioned the package that Sky do, but left out the fact that it comes with broadband.

It would be great if once VM has launched it's 50meg tier if they could offer 2meg for free. Never going to happen though:rolleyes: