Options

The Caves Of Androzani

13»

Comments

• Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Any advice on where I can buy The Caves of Androzani - seems expensive on Amazon compared to other classic Doctor series (£28!)

A single release will be expensive as it was discontinued. But you can get a shiny special edition version - along with Talons and the TVM - which has more special features than the single release - for about £15 in one of the Revisitations boxsets.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    I love The Caves of Androzani... but for me Kinda is Davison's and Who's best.

Agreed. Love Caves, but Kinda is my favourite Fifth Doctor story.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Earthshock for me remains Davison's stand-out story. Although I do love pretty much all of his first season.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any advice on where I can buy The Caves of Androzani - seems expensive on Amazon compared to other classic Doctor series (£28!)

Try Ebay. I've just looked and some people are selling the DVD around the £8-£9 mark.

:)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I bought the Revisitations Boxset for £15 on Amazon and got The Talons of Weng Chiang and the TV Movie with it. I also wanted the TV Movie, but I'm not sure I want the Talons of Weng Chiang so I might decide to sell it on ebay to get some of the money back.

Alternatively, there is a digital copy on iTunes for £5
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I bought the Revisitations Boxset for £15 on Amazon and got The Talons of Weng Chiang and the TV Movie with it. I also wanted the TV Movie, but I'm not sure I want the Talons of Weng Chiang so I might decide to sell it on ebay to get some of the money back.

Never, ever thought I would live long enough to read that! (Or is there a particular reason?)
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Earthshock for me remains Davison's stand-out story. Although I do love pretty much all of his first season.

Agreed! Season 19 is one of my all-time favourite seasons. Every story has something going for it (with the possible exception of Time Flight, and even that has the odd good moment).
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Agreed! Season 19 is one of my all-time favourite seasons. Every story has something going for it (with the possible exception of Time Flight, and even that has the odd good moment).

I think it really felt amazingly fresh and exciting again - not just because of the new, young Doctor either. But having three companions (three!!!) - one of whom always argued with the Doctor - was just superb.

And Earthshock was amazingly tense and frightening - I remember actually feeling sick with nerves watching all four episodes
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek: :eek:

I've heard it all now.
    Never, ever thought I would live long enough to read that! (Or is there a particular reason?)

Indeed! TVM over Talons? What's the world coming to?! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Thank you for advice everyone. I've never been on Ebay but maybe I should start!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    How does the 'special edition' DVD compare to the ordinary version?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of a joke:

Three Is in one breath makes you...

Steve Jobs
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this story! It's a tough call between this, Pyramids of Mars and The Girl in the Fireplace for my favourite Who story ever. :)
  • Options
    W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Just about everyone else has said it all, from 5's noble swansong (opposed to 10's) to his chemistry with Peri.

One thing I'd add is the regeneration is put into doubt as the Doctor lies there, dying from the toxemia. He's not even sure if it's going to happen, and when he hallucinates, the Master appears to taunt him to the last. I always liked to think that the poison affected his regeneration, making Six so unlikable and unstable at first.

Only other thing I could add...this was the first "explosive" regeneration we've come to know and love in the 2005-on era. Yes, cheesy computer graphics aside, this was the first "fooom" of light and colour ending with Six sitting up suddenly. If only Six's first words had been "New hair..that's a big Garfunkle..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    TOSSerr wrote: »
    Krau Timmin needs to be brought back, I say !!

Anyway, great story. Almost like something from Season 7. But set in space. Ok the monsters a bit pants, and I've never understood why so many fans cream over the episode 3 cliffhanger. A classic though and a great story for Davison to bow out on

9 out of 10

I shoot my load just thinking about the episode 3 cliffhanger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's only £14.99 for the The Caves of Androzani Special Edition Double DVD

or there's that 3-pack someone mentioned for £13.50 (The Caves of Androzani / The Talons of Weng-Chiang / Doctor Who: The Movie)

Both well worth it I would say. If you don't mind 2nd hand there's always the used section, or ebay like someone already said.

I'm sure someone might even have a link or 2 of where they can be found online?