Options

The Hotel Inspector - New series - 6th Feb '14

Comments

• Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firespire wrote: »
    Yes, John Humberston of Alexandra Hotel in Llandudno.

The pair this week in Blackpool were asked by the producers to go on the Hotel Inspector.
    http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what-s-on/tv-film/smart-alex-works-wonders-at-vidella-1-6024926

Different next week, John says he approached the programme to appear on it.
    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tvs-hotel-inspector-helping-llandudno-6172111

Here's John's appearance on Four in a Bed:

http://bit.ly/1eyCmy0

Again, he seems like a decent bloke, though admittedly he came across as someone who was struggling with the hotel. And comparing himself to Basil Fawlty (even in jest) probably isn't advisable.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wasted visit that was. They were in far too much trouble financially to recoup their loses. The producers need to find out if these B&B's have enough money to keep running for at least 6-12 months before visiting them not just enough money to scrape by day to day.

When was it filmed though. It could well have been filmed 6 months ago. It said it closed in Feb 2014, we're only 2 weeks into Feb so it's only just happened.

That aside, I'm not sure how they can judge who to pull the spider drop on. My mum is quite a friendly person, but hates spiders. Having that done to her she'd scream her head off and be down the street in seconds. If she could be persuaded to go back the toilet spider would be the last straw and they'd never see her again.

One thing that puzzles me is that they do up one room and the travel companies say "Oh yes we'll deffinately use them" but what about all the other rooms that are still crap-holes? Do they put their customers in them?
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RSteve wrote: »
    I think it was honest of the show to admit the hotel failed even after Ms Polizzi's help!
    That's exactly what I thought. They could have just not mentioned it at all.

To make it even braver, they ended the show with Alex in full flow about she had probably turned things round and she felt confident that the hotel would go from strength to strength. Next scene, er, em, the hotels just closed! Not exactly the best endorsement for Ms Polizzi and her abilities given she's meant to be saving floundering hotels.

As the closure had just happened it was obviously too late to edit the programme but they could have tagged on an announcement that was more sympathetic to Alex's cause given it's the whole premise of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the 4IAB duplications...I'm sure in that show's thread on here it was mentioned that one guy who did both, the owner of The Artist's Residence, said he had been approached by one programme after appearing on the other one.

I don't think it's a case of a lot of folk being full time attention seekers, although some obviously are, and applying for every tv show they can rather then the tv production companies being lazy. If you're a business person that is asked to appear in a programme that is going to advertise your business it must be hard to say no.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programme makers are just lazy these days. It wasn't so long ago that they'd block someone who had already been on a similar show. Now I'm sure they just think, "Oh well, they already know the ropes, they'll be less hassle" and go along with it all.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I was so shocked that the Hotel shut after all the money and hard work put into re-vamping it. What went wrong?

Do rooms only make £3 profit :o

£3 profit sounds better if all 29 of the rooms are full every night (that's £600 per week). Plus bar takings etc.

But the Vidella had only a 15% occupancy, so you'd be talking £12 profit a day.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    £3 profit sounds better if all 29 of the rooms are full every night (that's £600 per week). Plus bar takings etc.

How on earth does it cost £45 a night to run a room? Their costings must have been wrong because some of the rooms at the really nice place near to them which they visited are only £45 a night. That means they are making zero profit.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »

Yes if you have a busy place it would work. I wonder if they lowered their prices and that is why it shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Yes if you have a busy place it would work. I wonder if they lowered their prices and that is why it shut.

They left it too late to get help. The bailiffs were at the door. Once that happens it's usually too late.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame they didn't show the programme sooner as it might have given it the boost it needed. However I think they'd lost their passion for it!
  • Options
    RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Last night's hotel in Blackpool isn't really my kind of place, but I was sad to see it had closed as it really did seem like they were changing their attitude and turning a corner.

I imagine the cost of providing the room was the cost of running the premises (business rates, staff e.t.c.) divided by the number of rooms and days in the year.

I still enjoy this programme but I hope every episode from now on isn't going to feature extreme or wacky characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How on earth does it cost £45 a night to run a room? Their costings must have been wrong because some of the rooms at the really nice place near to them which they visited are only £45 a night. That means they are making zero profit.

Sounds like they weren't doing any costing at all since the hotel opened - just rooms being charged at between £45-£65 a night with nothing being written down on paper initially or after.

£65 a night though!!!!

When people would get a better cardboard box in a street doorway -and also considering the £46 per night rooms which down the road.

Shame the hotel ultimately failed when it looked like they were turning it around - glad they announced it at the end - very honest to do that.

Probably too much to ask to be able to turn around 10 years of being dreadful in just a few months.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week's might be good to watch. I recognised him straight away from 4iaB. He was a right pain in the proverbial, and his hotel was shocking. Must admit though I'm a bit disappointed at the same places being covered as 4iaB. Gets repetitive. I'd much rather see different hotels.

BTW the Vidella is up for sale. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-31151641.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RSteve wrote: »
    Anyone notice that one of the couples who were supposedly interested in booking the hotel for a civil partnership were in fact none other than fellow Four in a Bed stars from the DeLovely Hotel in Blackpool? (series three - the serious after the Vidella was on it - and they also seemed to have the inspiration of putting a plastic rat in a guests room funnily enough after the Vidella did similar in series two!)

Seriously doubt even if they are getting civil partnership/married after being a couple for all that time, that they had any intention of doing so at the Vidella, a rival hotel one street away from their B&B!

Methinks perhaps they wanted another TV appearance!
    I saw that too, either the C5 researchers didn't think anyone would notice, or the researchers are so bad they didn't know about the FIAB connection!

I wasn't sure if Alex mentioning the FIAB thing in the guest guide early on was a knowing wink, or she just didn't know about the other programme

I knew I had seen them somewhere before! I should have guessed it was 4inB. After all, it has become a programme with too high a percentage of places in Blackpool run by gay couples.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    They left it too late to get help. The bailiffs were at the door. Once that happens it's usually too late.

Makes you wonder why they done the place up as yes, way too late :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I suppose it's only to be expected that there's some dramatic licence.

did your friend get anyhting out of it though?

Apart from a leg over, nothing. He shut down the BBsoon after.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the first time a hotel has failed after being on THI. The Astor in Plymouth closed a few months after the episode aired; and at the Last In First Out Winchester when Alex went back for a revisit, the owner said to her 'sod it, I've had enough' (which she respected more than someone bumbling along).

Ultimately it's down to the owners to wholly embrace Alex's suggestions and carry them on after she's gone. In a lot of cases if you take Trip Advisor by its word, they haven't.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Noooway wrote: »
    Apart from a leg over, nothing. He shut down the BBsoon after.

Lol really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    It's not the first time a hotel has failed after being on THI. The Astor in Plymouth closed a few months after the episode aired; and at the Last In First Out Winchester when Alex went back for a revisit, the owner said to her 'sod it, I've had enough' (which she respected more than someone bumbling along).

Ultimately it's down to the owners to wholly embrace Alex's suggestions and carry them on after she's gone. In a lot of cases if you take Trip Advisor by its word, they haven't.

Someone posted on here a couple of weeks ago that the hotel which looked like a museum with all the dolls and other tat was closed also. She was a bit odd. Not surprised her place shut down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Ironically that frontage would've been a better match for the changes that Alex made. Ok, it doesn't say hotel but the style and silver colour would have fitted especially with the function rooms and brochures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do read the responses from owner of next week's hotel on Trip Advisor. The ones from last October are clearly after Alex had been there, and yet he is absolutely rude! And he can't even spell, which makes his awful comments even worse. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190724-d1656712-Reviews-The_Alexandra_Hotel-Llandudno_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Two in a row who've been on FiaB - I'm all for recycling, but this is ridiculous! :D
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there'll be a new series of The Fixer? Sorry if it's off topic but there's nothing on google (which doesn't bode well!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's fine if you don't want to believe me,not sure why I'd make it up but you're entitled to your opinion!
  • Options
    sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another hotel that I'm pretty sure closed down afterwards was that Mrs Sparkles place geared to children. It was featured in one of the early series and was quite an entertaining episode.