Options

Fire HD 6 for reading books ?

pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, my 3 year old regular Kindle has given up the ghost after much usage, so I need a new one. With the price of the Fire HD 6 only £69 I'm tempted to go for this instead of a normal Kindle as the benefit of web browsing, back light and colour screen is a big benefit to me.

Can anyone tell me what the reading experience is like on this tablet compared to a regular kindle. I know e-ink is better on the eyes - but as Im just a casual reader due to time limitations, I get through about 10 books a year so would not have my eyes glued to the screen endlessly. How is the screen for reading outside for example on holiday etc.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input. :)

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Kindle Fire is useful in the dark to read novels.

I have not tried it in bright sunshine.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like tablets for reading due to the glare you get off the screen outside.

Better to get a decent e-reader with an e-ink display for reading.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kindle Fire is useful in the dark to read novels.

I have not tried it in bright sunshine.

Kindle Paperwhite will do fine in the dark. In a direct sunshine, too. I'd say OP should try to read off PC monitor for an hour or two, if it is acceptable. Some people, me included, complain about eye strain after looking at LCD screen constantly for longer periods of time.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use iPads and a Kindle. The Kindle is superb for reading outside. On a really sunny day you will struggle to see the iPad screen.

For £69 you might as well try the Fire and see how you get on. You can always send it back.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the input everyone.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you read a lot, like a couple of hours at a stretch then definitely get a e-reader.

If you don't want to pay kindle prices then have a look at Kobo, I just picked up a Aura HD for £70 off ebay.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a new kindle paper white original on eBay for £70 (less memory than new gen 2 machine but still Ok for loads of books).

I would only buy a kindle because its library is massive.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    if you read a lot, like a couple of hours at a stretch then definitely get a e-reader.

If you don't want to pay kindle prices then have a look at Kobo, I just picked up a Aura HD for £70 off ebay.

Another plug for Kobo :D I have a Kobo Glo and it's brilliant. Wider format support and expandable storage via micro SD card. I know e-books are small in size but I always like to have the expandable storage option :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another plug for Kobo :D I have a Kobo Glo and it's brilliant. Wider format support and expandable storage via micro SD card. I know e-books are small in size but I always like to have the expandable storage option :D

Its an amazing display, quick, more configuration than the kindle and support for wider range of file formats. The only issue I have had is I have some comics in CBR format and it will only display the first page.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I see that Sainsbury is selling the Fire HD 8gb for £64.99. Cheaper than Amazon and no delivery hassles. Didn't see a price for the 16gb version but if it's only £85 then that's a bargain. I paid £100 at launch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    The kindle fire hd6 looks good for the price.It is a bit bulky but screen is sharp.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Kindle Paperwhite.