Options

Best British Female Singer

2»

Comments

• Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Personally I think Annie Lennox is also over rated but it's the differences in our opinions that make the world go round, right ;)
  • Options
    COTTON_BUDSCOTTON_BUDS Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Mica Paris is an absolute legend in my opinion. I can remember when "My One Temptation" was released in the late 80s and thinking how cool she looked on Top of the Pops. Check that one out if you haven't already - it is a great 80s soul track. She hit the "big time" at the same time as Will Downing, who had a huge hit with "A Love Supreme." The two of them had a good duet with "Where is the love," a cover which introduced me to the original Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway song. I also loved "I should have known better" at the time - just thinking about Mica brings back quite a few memories of that era of British soul music.

I am amazed you haven't seen her recently on the TV - she is one of the replacement hosts on "what not to wear," believe it or not. Mind you, you probably have a better taste in TV programmes than certain members in my house...

I had forgotten about Elkie's version of "Fool if you think it's over" - spookily enough I dug out Chris Rea's version yesterday!

Oh I have heard it since discovering her.. Since then I have seen quite a few of her videos and my top 2 favourites from this lady are Where Is The Love and My One Temptation.. Wonderful! I even went and bought an album by her called ''The Real Deal'' fantastic singer!

I know what you mean about British soul music, it seems to have hit a brick wall.. The music from back in the 80s was magical.. Must admit that the only singer I find truly mesmerising with soul music these days is that Beverley Knight!..

Sorry to say it but I have never seen that TV show :o I've just seen the two birds from it in a few magazines but they were both white ladies...

Fool If You Think It's Over - Love both versions of that song but I think Elkie's version tips it for me :)
  • Options
    COTTON_BUDSCOTTON_BUDS Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Oh well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Personally I think Annie Lennox is also over rated but it's the differences in our opinions that make the world go round, right ;)

Yeah sure :) that's why I created this thread.. So I can get a grasp on other people's opinions on their favourite British Female Singers :D
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really struggling with this one!

I have a couple of Australian and a Canadian singer in my all time favouites, but other than that...

I would have to include Vera Lynn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Beverley Knight has to be mentioned - her voice if phenomenal and people never seem to acknowledge her.

Black Butta from MusicCitySoul is absolutely amazing.

Plus Dusty Springfield, Kate Bush and credit to Beth Rowley too. Oh and Elkie Brooks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going Back is an absolute classic......I find it harder to listen to the older I get, it just moves me too much at times.

Agree 100% !!

I also love The Look of Love ! It was the only good thing about that film !!
  • Options
    EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerry Ellis :D Who is performing with Brian May at the Royal Variety show in December oh yesss!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Shara Nelson does it for me - cracking voice!
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Nerina Pallot or Leona Naess ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley Bassey?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kgbRroasspQ

And just about anything she ever sang.

Mary
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I dont know if they can be classed as the best but I love these two.

Annie Lennox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4yEwWZnZU

Gabrielle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxrKDFcCp0
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit reading through this thread I'm not exactly thinking - "WOW how could I have missed her"....

I did give it a bit more thought whilst driving down or maybe up :confused: the A10 yesterday :D

So, very much in favour at the moment Katherine Jenkins http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPWGHibaus

And someone I've heard live a few times Lesley Garrett http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipzrp4upQIk sorry that's such a short clip!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um....

Lennox
    Bassey
    Leona
    Liz Fraser
    Beverley Knight
    Dusty

That Siobhan girl from the first incarnation of Sugababes has an absolutely fantastic voice too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 of the best

kate bush
    dusty
    annie lennox
    enya (ok shes irish but what the heck...)
    toyah...just been revisiting the vow!