Love - To declare or not declare?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
Is it wrong to tell someone you love them if you know that it's highly likely that they won't love you back and they are in a relationship?

You know that by doing so you won't get the outcome you desire but that something deep inside you really feels the need to say it?

Regret saying it or regret not saying? Which is the better option?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you thought it might adversely affect the relationship they are in, then yes in my opinion it would be wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally i don't see any benefit in doing it.
    you say you know it won't result in any reciprocal feelings.

if you love them, let them be happy in the relationship they are in and don't throw a potential spanner in the works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will just make it really awkward for yourself and the other person might feel uncomfortable around you, so depending on your current relationship with the person you might ruin it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are more likely to regret saying it. Unless of course you need the reality check of knowing they don't reciprocate so that you can move on?
    Forum Member
    I think you are more likely to regret saying it. Unless of course you need the reality check of knowing they don't reciprocate so that you can move on?

I think it's this, I don't want to move on but I have no choice, hearing him tell me he doesn't love me or even telling me to eff off I think would stop me from clinging on to hope and fantasising about what could be.

My heart physically hurts and I'm trying to find a solution to stop it from hurting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so what are you going to do then?
    potentially ruin/upset someone just so that you feel better and can move on? or show your love for that person and deal with the issue yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    if you love them, let them be happy in the relationship they are in and don't throw a potential spanner in the works.

^^^This
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it it can eat you up inside (I really do), and you want so much to tell them, but, honestly, it's unlikely to work out well for either party. Be glad for him in his relationship and try to be the best friend that you can be.
    Forum Member
    But he doesn't feel the same so how it would it ruin his relationship?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dilys-Inga wrote: »

there are 2 people in a relationship though, you don't know how the other person in the relationship would react to it.

you asked for advice and you got it.
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    personally i don't see any benefit in doing it.
    you say you know it won't result in any reciprocal feelings.

Agree. I also know how much it can eat you up, but seriously, what is anyone going to gain from telling him? You will move on eventually. If he doesn't feel the same he's obviously not for you, but there is someone else out there who will be perfect.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I separated from my partner when I fell in love with someone else, who had no idea I loved him. It felt it was something I had to do, as there was clearly something deficient in my existing relationship.

He was also in a relationship, so I just waited for that to fizzle out, and then risked it all by letting him know how I felt.

If it's meant to be, you'll get there in the end, and sometimes love requires incredible patience, followed by a bit of nerve.
    Forum Member
    I guess no-one said love was easy, I just wish that things were different.

If he's happy then I'm happy but from a personal perspective and whether it is selfish, I want to tell him I love him, we've got a past and a connection and I just have the want and need to tell him. As for his relationship, well it wouldn't effect it especially if it's stable.

However, I understand all the points you make and I shall keep my mouth closed, let my heart hurt and hopefully heal and time do it's thing. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any other choices.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it wrong to tell someone you love them if you know that it's highly likely that they won't love you back and they are in a relationship?

You know that by doing so you won't get the outcome you desire but that something deep inside you really feels the need to say it?

Regret saying it or regret not saying? Which is the better option?
    You could say that you are fond of them and their company.
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member

For what it's worth, if it was me in this persons partners shoes, and I found out another woman had declared their love for him, knowing he's in a relationship, i would go bat shit crazy at her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess no-one said love was easy, I just wish that things were different.

If he's happy then I'm happy but from a personal perspective and whether it is selfish, I want to tell him I love him, we've got a past and a connection and I just have the want and need to tell him. As for his relationship, well it wouldn't effect it especially if it's stable.

However, I understand all the points you make and I shall keep my mouth closed, let my heart hurt and hopefully heal and time do it's thing. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any other choices.

if you tell him, he will probably avoid you like the plague after
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    For what it's worth, if it was me in this persons partners shoes, and I found out another woman had declared their love for him, knowing he's in a relationship, i would go bat shit crazy at her.

Me too. I'd also ask him to consider cutting all ties with the woman - I wouldn't want somebody in our lives who was trying to sabotage our relationship.
    Forum Member
    I'm not trying to sabotage anything!
    If the relationship was stable then it wouldn't matter and how would she ever know?!

It's not as if he feels the same anyway.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's in a relationship with someone else, leave him be and keep your feelings to yourself.
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the relationship was stable then it wouldn't matter and how would she ever know?!

To her, that's how it would look.

You're right - if the relationship was stable, it wouldn't matter for the couple (not that that's any justification for causing them trouble), but it might ruin your friendship with the guy.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How would she not now? Do you expect this man to keep your 'secret' feelings from her once you share them with him? I know I wouldn't be keeping your secret for you if I were in the man's shoes.

On the other hand, you say you have a past with this man, so what makes you think he doesn't already know how you feel? You say you have a connection with him, but there will be people throughout your life you will have a connection with and while you are hankering after someone unavailable, you may just miss a connection that has the potential to be real and permanent. But you need to get your head out of Mills and Boon land first.
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member

So there isn't a tiny part of you that hopes he says the feeling is mutual? Because if there is, then you are intentionally doing something that you know will ruin his relationship, and regardless of how you and he might hypothetically feel, you have no right to do that.

Also he would probably tell his partner, and like others have said, avoid you like the plague.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Interfering in other people's relationships is a dick move. Don't do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we have here is a classic "advice" thread.
    What the OP actually wants is not advice, but for people to confirm what he/she is about to do is the right thing. He/she doesn't really want advice at all.

You can easily spot these threads a mile off when the OP responds after receiving the advice he/she didn't want to hear.