LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    having major problems configuring the mail app to use my icloud email account (IMAP).

using the server details listed in the apple support doc, the mail app accepts the incoming settings all ok, but refuses to accept the outgoing smtp settings. giving the error in the attached image.

anyone been able to get this working?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/Screenshot_2013-05-28-10-00-12.png
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    there is a digital zoom.
    pinch to zoom whilst in the camera.

Oh thanks, that could have come in useful a couple of weeks back :). i suppose i should have thought of that since zooming in and out on other features is pinching.

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Oh thanks, that could have come in useful a couple of weeks back :). i suppose i should have thought of that since zooming in and out on other features is pinching.

Thanks again.

generally though, digital zoom on any device should be avoided
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having major problems configuring the mail app to use my icloud email account (IMAP).

using the server details listed in the apple support doc, the mail app accepts the incoming settings all ok, but refuses to accept the outgoing smtp settings. giving the error in the attached image.

anyone been able to get this working?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/Screenshot_2013-05-28-10-00-12.png

Yes. I have it set up.

SMTP server: smtp.me.com
    Port 587
    Security type STARTTLS with require sign-in ticked
    Then username is full email address and password is your password.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I have it set up.

Port 587

ahh.. the instructions say to use SSL, not START.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahh.. the instructions say to use SSL, not START.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

That'll be it then!:D
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Nexus 4 officially announced by LG, with ostensibly no bump to 32GB. LG also deny they're working on the Nexus 5, initially citing they "do not need such a marketing success [as the Nexus 4] again" (which is a mental comment!) before clarifying a little further.

Further details at http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/28/lg-announces-the-white-nexus-4-quashes-all-rumors-that-the-company-is-working-on-the-nexus-5/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I have it set up.

Port 587

got it to work finally.
    so does it give proper push email, or is it a set time fetch ?

and how do i get it to use the IMAP folders rather than local folders? for example, when i delete an email on the nexus, it puts it into a local trash folder rather than the one on the mail server (same for sent emails etc).
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of the worst phones I've ever had actually.

Android isn't a patch on iOS in my opinion - the apps look atrocious, the screen lags response, nothing works...
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »

Android isn't a patch on iOS in my opinion - the apps look atrocious, the screen lags response, nothing works...

Nothing works? Have you considered your phone might be faulty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

coming from a 4S to the N4, the N4 is definitely snappier than the 4S, no lag, everything works.

nice troll attempt though
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no lag what so ever on my N4 so you are talking shite.

The apps for the most part look the same, im not sure what you mean here?

What exactly doesn't work?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing works? Have you considered your phone might be faulty?

I think that particular poster has a Nexus 4 (Phantom Edition). ;)
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member

Chortle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

:yawn: , poor attempt at trolling ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I've even seen any lag or stutter on is Temple Run 2 on the Nexus. Everything else runs exactly the same as their iOS equivalent, and given that I have both the Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5 now, I think I'm pretty well placed to judge!
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 4 is easily on a par with the iPhone for UI smoothness.

Android is way more customisable which lends itself to phones which are usually a very personal item so for me a big win here for Android when you are using it as a phone OS.

Still prefer the iPad in the tablet world
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Nexus 4 is easily on a par with the iPhone for UI smoothness.

Android is way more customisable which lends itself to phones which are usually a very personal item so for me a big win here for Android when you are using it as a phone OS.

Still prefer the iPad in the tablet world

Yeah I'm the same, for a phone I'm happy with Android but I like iOS in tablets, the N7 isn't quite there yet.
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I have 15+GB of music in my library. How do I know what I fancy listening to before I go somewhere?

I have the whole lot on my iPhone with room to spare. I'd like to be able to do the same on my Nexus.

Have you just added extra music to your library after purchasing the N4? Or did this problem occur to you before you jumped in?

Your choices are to upload the lit to Play Music and stream it. Or stick it on an OTG pen drive, but you will have to install a custom ROM and kernel. I recommend Faux kernel and Paranoid Android ROM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you just added extra music to your library after purchasing the N4? Or did this problem occur to you before you jumped in?

Your choices are to upload the lit to Play Music and stream it. Or stick it on an OTG pen drive, but you will have to install a custom ROM and kernel. I recommend Faux kernel and Paranoid Android ROM.

No, I've always had a huge library. That's not even all the CDs I own, just the stuff that's picked out and in my library.

I have a 64GB iPhone, so all my music is on there. I'd just like the option to have a Nexus 4 with enough capacity to carry all my music so I could use it as my main device. As it is, I chop and change back and forth between the iPhone and my Nexus, and that's fine.

My Nexus was bought as a second phone mostly for international travel, but I like it so much I've been swapping back and forth.

Thanks for the custom ROM suggestion, but I'm happy with vanilla Android as it is. I did a load of ROM switching back in the days of my HTC Hero, but I'm over that now.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    Can anyone understand this?

I've just a Nexus 4 and have cut my old Orange SIM card to microSIM size. I will almost exclusively use it on Wi-Fi, however today I switched the data on and switched on the tethering. The data worked on the handset, and I could pick up the Wi-Fi on my other Wi-Fi devices, however the other devices didn't pick up any data.

When I use my old Samsung Galaxy Fit as a Wi-Fi hotspot with the same SIM card, it works normally on the other devices.

I tried the same thing with my brand new Vodafone microSIM and it worked properly.

What could be causing this? Is it because I'm using an old Orange SIM card, so maybe if I replace it with a new microSIM it would work?

I've just got a brand new Orange micro SIM card and I've still got the same problem. I've also since tried a 3 SIM card (cut with scissors to micro SIM size) and it tethered fine. So I've only had a problem with the Orange SIM card.

Can someone with an Orange SIM card (PAYG) check that they can tether with their Nexus 4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Orange allow tethering on their PAYG? Surely that's the issue here, not whether the Nexus is at fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Orange allow tethering on their PAYG? Surely that's the issue here, not whether the Nexus is at fault.

It works on my Galaxy Fit. If Orange didn't allow it, wouldn't you get an warning webpage, like you do when you try to use an unlimited 3 SIM card through a MiFi device?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    It works on my Galaxy Fit. If Orange didn't allow it, wouldn't you get an warning webpage, like you do when you try to use an unlimited 3 SIM card through a MiFi device?

PAYG page from Orange seems to indicate a limit of 100MB:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/payasyougo/payg_animal_terms.html

Could it be that you've hit a limit? That page does mention that "it's insufficient for internet tethering", but I'm not sure what they mean by that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAYG page from Orange seems to indicate a limit of 100MB:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/payasyougo/payg_animal_terms.html

Could it be that you've hit a limit? That page does mention that "it's insufficient for internet tethering", but I'm not sure what they mean by that.

No, I never use the Orange PAYG data (I use a 3 MiFi device instead). It was a one-off experiment.

It is not a big deal at the moment as I use the MiFi but it might be important if I find a cheap way of getting calls and data on the same SIM card in the future.