Options

Getting a TIVO box

countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I currently have a V+ box and am on the XL tv package. Does my V+ box have to breakdown before Virgin offer me a TIVO box?

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    I currently have a V+ box and am on the XL tv package. Does my V+ box have to breakdown before Virgin offer me a TIVO box?

No, just give them a call on 150 and go through to Retentions (Option 5) and speak to them and see what they offer.

There may be an Installation charge.
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers! Will try that.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can, RECORD the call! They offered me free installation plus the Virgin box in another room free! But then they said, no, that wasn't part of the deal. The recorded call refreshed their memory! From "no, you weren't offered that", it became "Is Saturday afternoon OK?":cool:
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    countyboy wrote: »

Surely you just ask for one seeing as it is a paid service (£3 per month)?
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Surely you just ask for one seeing as it is a paid service (£3 per month)?

It is £5 a month on top of your TV subscription if you have a TiVo box and not £3 a month,
    unless you take out one of the Collection packages
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really not that much better and more fiddly. You can record an extra channel but I would be excited about it. Id rather have the ease of use from the V+
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Its really not that much better and more fiddly. You can record an extra channel but I would be excited about it. Id rather have the ease of use from the V+

After having a Tivo for the last 3 weeks, I'm inclined to agree with you.... You can't 'auto turn over when a program is about to start' or if you can, I ain't found out how yet. And why the lack of a channel number display?

I want my old V+ box back. :D
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After having a Tivo for the last 3 weeks, I'm inclined to agree with you.... You can't 'auto turn over when a program is about to start' or if you can, I ain't found out how yet. And why the lack of a channel number display?

Record and Remind allows you to do exactly that (and records it in case you aren't around to see the reminder).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Record and Remind allows you to do exactly that (and records it in case you aren't around to see the reminder).

Yes, I know that, but I don't want to record it, I want to watch it 'live'.

I used to set up my nights viewing, with the box turning the channels as the program started....It's the height of bone idleness. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know that, but I don't want to record it, I want to watch it 'live'.

I used to set up my nights viewing, with the box turning the channels as the program started....It's the height of bone idleness. :)

Your idleness knows no bounds. Too lazy to delete the un-watched recordings, having had the TiVo remind you of your choice and changed the channel for you.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Your idleness knows no bounds. Too lazy to delete the un-watched recordings, having had the TiVo remind you of your choice and changed the channel for you.:)

Exactly.
    It takes less button pushes to change the channel, than it does to delete all the unwanted recordings, so I don't bother using the reminder anymore. :D

The 'record' bit should be a menu option.

I still think I'd rather have my V+ back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.
    It takes less button pushes to change the channel, than it does to delete all the unwanted recordings, so I don't bother using the reminder anymore. :D

Me too :(
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »

I disagree completely, mine is miles better than V+. I've also had my Tivo box since launch without having it replaced, we went through about 6 V+ boxes. I have also not had a single failed recording in 2 years.
  • Options
    jodashjodash Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    If you can, RECORD the call! They offered me free installation plus the Virgin box in another room free! But then they said, no, that wasn't part of the deal. The recorded call refreshed their memory! From "no, you weren't offered that", it became "Is Saturday afternoon OK?":cool:

that's what I asked for and that's what I got
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

I agree too I had 2 V+ boxes at one point then I moved to Sky but kept one then moved fully back to Virgin but they wouldn't let me have V+ back so got a TiVo for the bedroom instead and kept the V+ I had already for the living room.

I like the new software update on TiVo but it's not as easy to use as V+ it would've been nice to have a V+ software in HD but the same box with numbers on the front. I find TiVo looks ugly.
  • Options
    rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already have 3 Hd boxes and 1 Tivo and I was thinking of swapping a Hd box for another Tivo has it saves me money on Xbox live now that you can get Netflix on there, but they wanted £49-99 install even that the cable is already there and £49-99 for activation, decided to just keep with what I've got :(
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have a TIVO box arriving this Friday because our V+ box seems unable to reliably record the Ashes series overnight for us to watch the next day (three out of the four recent recordings had problems including early ending of recording meaning that vast chunks were missing and inexplicably jumping ahead by about three hours whilst trying to fast forward through an advert break).

BIB This is going to be a bloody nuisance. We often come home and want to watch a recorded programme that might still be recording. If we can't see what channel the box is tuned to we run the risk of turning it on and seeing the end of the programme before the beginning :mad::mad::mad:.

This will particularly be a problem if we accidentally turn on to Sky Sports 2's Ashes Breakfast show which will no doubt tell us what happened overnight before we have had a chance to watch it.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    We have a TIVO box arriving this Friday because our V+ box seems unable to reliably record the Ashes series overnight for us to watch the next day (three out of the four recent recordings had problems including early ending of recording meaning that vast chunks were missing and inexplicably jumping ahead by about three hours whilst trying to fast forward through an advert break).

BIB This is going to be a bloody nuisance. We often come home and want to watch a recorded programme that might still be recording. If we can't see what channel the box is tuned to we run the risk of turning it on and seeing the end of the programme before the beginning :mad::mad::mad:.

This will particularly be a problem if we accidentally turn on to Sky Sports 2's Ashes Breakfast show which will no doubt tell us what happened overnight before we have had a chance to watch it.

Yep, that can be a problem. Turn off the preview pane in the settings and make sure the sound is off then turn on the box and press the My Recordings button straightaway.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, that can be a problem. Turn off the preview pane in the settings and make sure the sound is off then turn on the box and press the My Recordings button straightaway.

Thanks for this advice, we'll give that a try.
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all, thinking of upgrading from V+HD to TiVo. Was thinking of getting the VIP collection but dont want the V+HD box for another room, anyone else encountered this and got money off for not having it, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking of upgrading from V+HD to TiVo. Was thinking of getting the VIP collection but dont want the V+HD box for another room, anyone else encountered this and got money off for not having it, for example.

Both the VIP Collection and the Premiere Collection have a second box.

No discount for not wanting the second box.